• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Making my own ruleset to play by

RsMonpas

Bells
Hey all, first post here in years haha. I originally played through New Horizons as quickly as possible when it came out, and subsequently got bored. So, I was brainstorming some rules recently for myself to follow for a new island and also stumbled upon the "hard mode" rules that came out a couple of months ago. I combined some of those rules with my own and came up with these. My goal in creating these rules was to force myself to take it slow and not rush through everything the game had to offer. It also allows me to play every in-game during the days I'm able to hop on since I'm pretty busy with other things in life and not feel bad about time traveling. Let me know what you think of them! Here are the rules:

Time, Date, and Time Traveling
  • You may start your island with any date you like.
  • Time does not need to match real-time.
  • You must fully “play” each in-game day, or at least fully complete your daily tasks.
  • Regardless of how many days pass in real life without playing, set your time to the next consecutive day in-game.
    • For example, if the last day I played in-game was on January 1st, and a few days go by without me playing, I must set the clock to January 2nd and play through that day the next time I play.
  • Following the previous rule, you may time travel a day forward for each real-life day that has passed since last played.
    • Using the previous example, if 3 real-life days go by without me playing, I set the clock to January 2nd and play through that day. I may then set the clock forward to January 3rd, then 4th, etc, to match the number of real-life days that went by. You must still fully “play” each of those days. So if 30 real-life days go by since you start your island, the in-game date may not exceed those 30 days.
  • You may set the time of day forward whenever you want. However, you may not change time to go back except when you initially set up the start of a new in-game day. Remember that a new in-game day starts at 5AM. You may initially start a new day at any time you want.
  • Absolutely no time-traveling backward or skipping days.

Daily Tasks
  • Talk to each villager at least once.
  • Daily stretching once available.
  • Complete any NPC quests - Gulliver, Label, etc.
  • Get your fortune once available.
  • Get a coffee once available.
  • Change at least 2 pieces of your outfit once able to.
  • Send at least 1 villager a letter.

General Rules
  • Cannot use more than 1 Nook Miles Ticket per in-game day.
  • Only store things in your inventory and house storage. No storing things in rooms or around the island.
  • Must donate the first of each donatable item received before selling duplicates.
  • Nook Miles objectives supersede any economy rules.
  • No freebies, no treasure islands, no nookazon. If you buy or sell with another player, it needs to be a fair trade.

Economy
  • No stalk market. Turnips may be used to consume or for bugs.
  • Anything sold to Timmy and Tommy must be sold in the dropbox.
  • May only sell bugs to Flick.
  • May only sell fish to CJ.
  • Only sell native fruit and fruit found on Mystery Islands.
  • May only use 4 3x3 crop patches for selling.
  • May only plant 1000 bells for money trees.

Villagers
  • Let initial starting villagers choose house plot locations.
  • Always talk to a thinking or pinging villager.
  • If a villager wants to move, you must let them.
  • No villager hunting, no receiving villagers in boxes, no amiibo cards.

I think it’s great to have your own set of rules since everyone’s play style is so different. I have my own set of rules I try to follow in my newly restarted second island but the lack of time it’s been a bit harder lately, I think your rules are pretty good. The set of rules I have for myself are :

My villager rules are :
No island hopping
Villagers are auto filled or campers
No Amiibo cards
I play as both my playable characters so I won’t move anyone out unless both characters have their photo .
Gifts for villagers have to be crafted , cooked or gifts of fruit or veggies
I will try and invite the campsite villagers but only replace a villager if I have photo’s for both my characters.

Things to do each day :
Complete the 2x nook mile tasks
Find and hit all rocks
Find at least one new bug or fish available that month. Each new bug fish must be donated first before selling.
Daily stretches
Complete special visitor requests
Go see Katrina on Harv’s island for both characters fortunes

As far as time traveling. The only time travel I do is at the beginning of the week if I buy turnips. I put my clock forward by one hour since I would miss the am price if I didn’t. No selling on someone else’s island.

As for designs I want to use in game paths. Try to make as many designs as I can .
Make your own flag
For farm plots my plots are slightly bigger then hard mode rules but I don’t sell my veggies they get used to make gifts for villagers.
Always craft tools don’t buy
I don’t really have a set of rules for economy since my play time is so limited at the moment that I just sell anything I catch that I can’t donate.

Back