• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Just listen.

helenkeller

fecal sewage ♥
Bells
As the millennials get older, I get even more scared.

The new generation of influencers IMO are IGNORANT.

That includes, youtubers, musical.ly stars, Instagram stars, etc.

NONE of these people have talents. As some might, most don't.
They become famous for stupid story time, or even get paid for a selfie.
They sit around all day and do absolutely nothing but post a video.

DISCLAIMER: Some people work hard daily to post videos, but some people sit around and become less active because of their follower gain which doesn't last forever.****

Anyways... it bothers me that people who have so much talent, love, and generosity in their hearts and no matter how hard they try they never get a break.
But some seventeen year old girl in a push up bra can post photos in a bikini and be deemed as inspirational. How did that inspire you? To take more time with your selfies? Because a simple photo does not reflect how ones personality is, nor does a video.

I used to be a huge fan girl growing up and realized they didn't give a **** about me.
I used to love this girl named Elena Brooke, (elenabrookecaul) on Instagram. But I realized, HEY this girl only made two youtube videos, and all she does is tweet about partying (this was back in the day when she was at 600k. she is a mom now, this is just a example). She only posted selfies and tweets about what she did that day and people bowed to her like she was a god.

This generation scares me because we all think we can look, or act a certain way because someone else does. Most are impressionable and will be persuaded to act a certain way to meet basic standards of society.

I think to myself sometimes and think... Social media is everything to society now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztwtFxyR3hs

I used to be very dependent on what others thought of me. I was that girl to post a bunch of photos, for those fifty likes, and when I went to sleep at night those people were not there to help me with a bad day. They were not my friends. They either wanted what I had or wanted to do nasty sexual things with me. That is negative attention that reflects you badly as a person. I used to be JUST. LIKE. THEM. But I do not understand it.

Why are they so dependent on social media? Why do we all idolize somebody who does no good for society other than make bad influences for children?

In the last ten years I have noticed the society change.

There's more than ten pregnant teens I know personally. Some did it on purpose. I do not know a 12-13 year old who DOESN'T own make up and do a full face every day. I do not know a child that is still a virgin. I don't know a child that still plays Nintendo or xbox and plays outside like me as a child. I do not know a child that isn't on Instagram. I don't know a child that doesn't have a smart phone.

When I was twelve:
I had a facebook, it was pretty cringe but appropriate for my age. I still bought pokemon cards, played on a Nintendo DSI, and I played with toys. My parents chose what I wore. I was not allowed to leave in provocative outfits that suggested I wanted something.

My ex best friends mother laughed at how she lost her virginity at 12 on train tracks. She has the "I am here to steal (y)our man" personality.

I was made fun of for being a virgin, I was made fun of for liking pokemon and "weird" stuff. I was made fun of because I am not like everybody else. But everybody else acts ignorant. It is even polluting the people my age who are turning 20 (so not just millennials). Why are we so dependent on how others feel about us?

I am so sorry for this rant. Nobody will listen to me. I had to get this out. I don't even want a reply.

And girls and boys...
If anybody bullies you for being different and not being society standards of normal,
I ****ING LOVE YOU. Keep your ****ing crown up *****, because you are the ****. You are golden. You are irreplaceable. If you are struggling, get help. Talk to a parent, talk to somebody. Don't seek attention elsewhere, don't look up to an empty personality. Don't copy an empty personality. I was belittled by my closest friend and still kept my head high. Baby you can do this. Don't look up to somebody who you want to be. Be the best you possible. Even if it is hard there's always light at the end of that tunnel sunshine. ****ing let that negative energy go. Let the garbage go, clear your mind. Your subconscious Is used more than you think and you're getting influenced, even if you aren't aware of it.
Second disclaimer: I know theres multiple statements and its jumbled. But I had to get it out somehow lol

Last edited:
I read your whole post and agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm actually glad there is someone who feels the same.

I won't say my age so I don't get slammed but people just a few years younger than me, I notice everything you mentioned in them, and it saddens me. The generation is greedy and spoiled in my opinion.

..please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. When I say the generation I don't mean EVERYONE.

I know exactly what you mean, and I do take it that way. There were people in the back of my mind that aren't that way but it is a very select few people. The people who are the black sheep so to say... of society still exist but they are very hard to find. I can only imagine how these people feel. To find comfort in an iPhone and makeup and yoga pants. Shows lack of confidence :(

Anyways I am very glad you agree. Some people think I am just nuts.
I say back "it doesn't scare you that these people will run our country one day"?
Guess not.

- - - Post Merge - - -

These people from an hour away from where I live were on doctor phil and its sad. A girl tried getting pregnant to 1. be on tv. 2. So her boyfriend would always be there somehow... you gotta feel extremely lonely and low with yourself to do something as drastic and life changing like having a child..... my ex best friend always dreamed of being a teen mom. now she is one after all the other guys wouldn't get her pregnant. she went as far as emptying a condom inside of her.... I just want these people to feel okay again. But they wont. because you cant change until you see a problem within yourself, thus diagnosing the issue, acknowledging it, and then plan some steps to change.

As the millennials get older, I get even more scared.

The new generation of influencers IMO are IGNORANT.

That includes, youtubers, musical.ly stars, Instagram stars, etc.

NONE of these people have talents. As some might, most don't.
They become famous for stupid story time, or even get paid for a selfie.
They sit around all day and do absolutely nothing but post a video.

DISCLAIMER: Some people work hard daily to post videos, but some people sit around and become less active because of their follower gain which doesn't last forever.****

Anyways... it bothers me that people who have so much talent, love, and generosity in their hearts and no matter how hard they try they never get a break.
But some seventeen year old girl in a push up bra can post photos in a bikini and be deemed as inspirational. How did that inspire you? To take more time with your selfies? Because a simple photo does not reflect how ones personality is, nor does a video.

I used to be a huge fan girl growing up and realized they didn't give a **** about me.
I used to love this girl named Elena Brooke, (elenabrookecaul) on Instagram. But I realized, HEY this girl only made two youtube videos, and all she does is tweet about partying (this was back in the day when she was at 600k. she is a mom now, this is just a example). She only posted selfies and tweets about what she did that day and people bowed to her like she was a god.

This generation scares me because we all think we can look, or act a certain way because someone else does. Most are impressionable and will be persuaded to act a certain way to meet basic standards of society.

I think to myself sometimes and think... Social media is everything to society now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztwtFxyR3hs

I used to be very dependent on what others thought of me. I was that girl to post a bunch of photos, for those fifty likes, and when I went to sleep at night those people were not there to help me with a bad day. They were not my friends. They either wanted what I had or wanted to do nasty sexual things with me. That is negative attention that reflects you badly as a person. I used to be JUST. LIKE. THEM. But I do not understand it.

Why are they so dependent on social media? Why do we all idolize somebody who does no good for society other than make bad influences for children?

In the last ten years I have noticed the society change.

There's more than ten pregnant teens I know personally. Some did it on purpose. I do not know a 12-13 year old who DOESN'T own make up and do a full face every day. I do not know a child that is still a virgin. I don't know a child that still plays Nintendo or xbox and plays outside like me as a child. I do not know a child that isn't on Instagram. I don't know a child that doesn't have a smart phone.

When I was twelve:
I had a facebook, it was pretty cringe but appropriate for my age. I still bought pokemon cards, played on a Nintendo DSI, and I played with toys. My parents chose what I wore. I was not allowed to leave in provocative outfits that suggested I wanted something.

My ex best friends mother laughed at how she lost her virginity at 12 on train tracks. She has the "I am here to steal (y)our man" personality.

I was made fun of for not being a virgin, I was made fun of for liking pokemon and "weird" stuff. I was made fun of because I am not like everybody else. But everybody else acts ignorant. It is even polluting the people my age who are turning 20 (so not just millennials). Why are we so dependent on how others feel about us?

I am so sorry for this rant. Nobody will listen to me. I had to get this out. I don't even want a reply.

And girls and boys...
If anybody bullies you for being different and not being society standards of normal,
I ****ING LOVE YOU. Keep your ****ing crown up *****, because you are the ****. You are golden. You are irreplaceable. If you are struggling, get help. Talk to a parent, talk to somebody. Don't seek attention elsewhere, don't look up to an empty personality. Don't copy an empty personality. I was belittled by my closest friend and still kept my head high. Baby you can do this. Don't look up to somebody who you want to be. Be the best you possible. Even if it is hard there's always light at the end of that tunnel sunshine. ****ing let that negative energy go. Let the garbage go, clear your mind. Your subconscious Is used more than you think and you're getting influenced, even if you aren't aware of it.
Second disclaimer: I know theres multiple statements and its jumbled. But I had to get it out somehow lol
Wow this was a wild ride I think u should take a moment to breathe

Kids are ****ing dumb get over it

Well I'm sure you're not the only one feeling like this, but I certainly don't feel this way. Social media doesn't really bother me that much, I don't have Instagram, Facebook, snapchat or anything like that. Not because I hate it or because I feel like people aren't inspiring (I generally don't think people exist for the sole purpose of inspiring me or others. I also believe only a small amount of people would be able to inspire me, but that might variate from person to person ofcourse). I just don't care enough to read about all the things people do in their lives.
Each generation has it's own problems, younger people throughout history have always been labeld as problematic by older people or fellow millennials. For example the pregnant teen thing: you really think that is a problem only millennials from this generation suffer from? People used to be way younger when they got kids then these days!
Generations will always idolize people, whether there is social media or not. Sure it's easier to get famous because of the Internet, but that's not always a bad thing. I'm really glad the Internet exists because it's also a place to meet like minded people and a platform for creative people.

Kids aren't dumb they are impressionable because they're vulnerable.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I agree with some points you made. I think I should have made myself more clear. Social media doesn't bother me. More so the way its being used now. The teen mom thing I should have explained better... I have family members who got pregnant very young who are doing great but it does halt your life and I think people need to enjoy their youth. But we all want and think differently. Thanks for not being rude, sometimes its hard for me to explain myself and it makes people angry lol

Last edited:
I mean you're probably in middle school but they're gonna grow out of it sooner or later. I don't how old you are but no one really cares if you like pokemon or if ur a virgin, and if they do then they're dumb and will realize that eventually.

And if you don't like social media don't use it. I know I don't. It's not the end of the world you just need to meet some decent people.

Each generation has it's own problems, younger people throughout history have always been labeld as problematic by older people or fellow.
This statement ^^^

Look I will agree with you on the fact like the kids that lip sync, make stupidly unfunny vines, etc don't have a lot of talent. They also tend to do some stupid things, I don't think they deserve to be famous, but they themselves probably never expected to be famous either. I do see where you're coming from, but I would have to disagree on some points.

One thing that really bugs me is that older generations complain about us being so technology based and anti-social. Yet they're the ones that gave us this technology, because of that, we're the first generation to not have lived a pre-internet era. We honestly don't know differently. I think the technology is amazing. The internet has allowed us to connect with various types of people in the click of a button. Social media has become a platform for creators to share there talents (music, film, art, etc.). That being said, we've seen a dramatic increase of teen anxiety, depression and other disorders in recent years. I wouldn't rule out technology and social media as being a cause. I agree that many kids and teens don't get enough off-screen time. But you can't blame kids for what was handed to them. I know many people that would rather hand their kids an ipad than make them go outside just so they'll be quiet.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would very much agree that kids are impressionable. So it's not surprising they're acting and dressing the way they are when the people kids have to look up to now are the Jenners and "instagram models". I mean did you see what some people wore to the metgala? Sure they're adults and celebrities and can do what they want. But don't blame children for having these people in front of them.

Last edited:
Why do you assume that I am in middle school? I graduated two and a half years ago. I was trying to make an example from experiences I had growing up. I also never said it was the end of the world or that I used social media, because I stopped after graduation. I haven't surrounded myself around any negative energy in two years. I am just expressing my feelings here, nothing wrong with that. It is very healthy to talk about the way you feel.

People do belittle others for things they like though. I don't get phased by bullying anymore, but people still do. I don't get it, because it really is so much easier to be nice to people. It takes way too much energy to sit here and think of things to put others down.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I will never blame the children. I think we need more people online to speak about positivity, loving, and being your best self possible. technology is great don't get me wrong, it's just the way its being used. Society gives children expectations on how to look. Not that someone couldn't naturally have lips like Kylie, or a body like Kendall, but to realize that everyone is different. And you cannot just pick and choose how you like to look. And if someone feels that way, it breaks my heart. to see our youth not feel good enough.

Why do you assume that I am in middle school? I graduated two and a half years ago. I was trying to make an example from experiences I had growing up. I also never said it was the end of the world or that I used social media, because I stopped after graduation. I haven't surrounded myself around any negative energy in two years. I am just expressing my feelings here, nothing wrong with that. It is very healthy to talk about the way you feel.

People do belittle others for things they like though. I don't get phased by bullying anymore, but people still do. I don't get it, because it really is so much easier to be nice to people. It takes way too much energy to sit here and think of things to put others down.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I will never blame the children. I think we need more people online to speak about positivity, loving, and being your best self possible. technology is great don't get me wrong, it's just the way its being used. Society gives children expectations on how to look. Not that someone couldn't naturally have lips like Kylie, or a body like Kendall, but to realize that everyone is different. And you cannot just pick and choose how you like to look. And if someone feels that way, it breaks my heart. to see our youth not feel good enough.
I wasn't implying you were immature, I assumed these were things you experienced recently and was judging by the people who would bully you or whatever because it sounds like stuff Middle Schoolers do. Anyway social media can be problematic, but Its not ruining our generation or anything. We still have plenty of intelligent and talented people, but kids aren't feeling good about themselves and obviously it can problematic for a lot a reasons but most kids mature. Its obnoxious how kids talk about sexting and nudes people fighting over dumb ****, but they're gonna realize that none of that stuff actually matters and go on to lead normal lives.

This stuff has always happened in every generation and will not fail to stop. It isn't bad to speak out against it or voice your frustrations but by doing so, I don't think it'll stop.

To avoid getting angry myself, I just choose to distance myself from it. There's a reason I don't use instagram and have basically unfollowed everyone I have on facebook or unfriended the ones with the high school mentality. It just isn't worth looking at if you have the choice not to.

Least you can do is not support them. People will support what they derive pleasure from, I don't blame them. Although I do encourage going for better things to do with their money and time.

I'm actually really terrified, yes. The most amazing people I've met and people that I admire have been very old, and I know no one near to my age that I've had any ounce of respect for, really.

Only thing you can do is set an example. Try and be the change you want in the world and the kind of person you want to see wandering around.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I agree with some points you made. I think I should have made myself more clear. Social media doesn't bother me. More so the way its being used now. The teen mom thing I should have explained better... I have family members who got pregnant very young who are doing great but it does halt your life and I think people need to enjoy their youth. But we all want and think differently. Thanks for not being rude, sometimes its hard for me to explain myself and it makes people angry lol

I agree with you. People should be able to enjoy their youth which is why I think it's probably not the best idea to have a child at 16. My point was that this isn't a problem this generation specifically is suffering from. If anything, in western societies people are having (generally speaking) less children and having children when they're older. Therefore: not that much of a millennial problem.

While I agree with some things you're saying, I don't fully agree with others. Yes, kids are impressionable, that's something that's always been true. If someone figures out they can get attention by posting the same type of photos someone famous does nine times out of ten they're going to do it at least once. People like getting a reaction out of people, whether it's positive of negative. That, again, is something that's always been true. Little kids always tease someone for being different or weird, and if adults are still doing it that just shows how immature they are so I woudlmt really hold their comments relevant anyway.

That being said I think social media can be as helpful as it is hindering. Yeah you see body shaming and whatnot but now I'm also noticing a lot more body positivity being spread around. BUT I do think a lot of the hurtful comments being said are getting to the younger generation because they're sensitive. This is the generation of getting a trophy for showing up, and I don't agree with that. So what if someone two thousand miles away called you fat in that one outfit on in that one certain angle? Who cares? What someone else thinks of you should have nothing to do with how you think of yourself, and the issue is a lot of people think it does.

Everyone is guilty of posting photos or dumb tweets at one point or another in their life. But we grow out of it, as we mature we realize what it acceptable behavior and what is not.

Last edited:
I dunno, I think it's kinda always been this way. Social media may just make it seem like it's worse; because social media is just a new platform in which to communicate through. Our generation (assuming you too are a millennial) has its flaws, but it also has so many strengths. We have the privilege of having instant access to so much information, and the ability to make friends all over the world. Social media is absolutely amazing - if it weren't for social media, I would have never met the man I am with today, whom I moving across the world just to be with. I would have never met my greatest friends. Anyway, the millennial generation is encouraged more than any other generation before us to go to college and get a degree. We are, statistically, the most charitable generation of all time.

Also, if you think teen pregnancies are bad now, go back several hundred years, when there was little to no birth control and young girls were put in to arranged marriages. We are so much better off today. And I see no problem with 12 year olds wearing make-up, there is nothing wrong with wearing make-up - it boosts self-confidence! I sure wish I had used it when I was 12. Smart phones, in my opinion, are great for children to have as well so that they can call/text their parents should there be some kind of emergency, and I'm sure there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of apps that could help them with homework. If they ever got lost, they could just use Google Maps to get back home (assuming it's within walking distance).
My point is.. technology is great for humanity. You need to not focus on the downsides so much - just because you hear about bad stuff happening to kids with smartphones on the news (remember when Pokemon Go came out?) doesn't mean all children abuse their technology in the same way.

The only thing about my generation that worries me is the whole political correctness fad that's happening right now. Bullcrap like "cultural appropriation", third wave feminism, safe spaces, etc. But I think we as a generation will be a lot more receptive to working on clean energy and trying to stop climate change, and funding other scientific endeavors, compared to previous generations.

TL;DR Our generation is not as bad as it seems, focus on the positives, man

Last edited:
I know how you feel. But I also agree with what a lot of other people are saying. People, especially young people, have always and will always do dumb things. It just seems more prevalent now because everything is so connected and public due to social media and the Internet.

nah i don't feel like this at all. you'll drive yourself totally crazy by asking absurd questions like "how does fashion benefit humanity" or "does so and so deserve fame" or having an aneurysm about social media and whatever. all that is new age spiritual angst that gets in the way; it's baggage. the sooner you cut off that baggage the less you'll barf that existentialist angst on those kids on your lawn.

i exist to enjoy myself and spread that to others when i can; concerning myself with "back in my day" or "this generation" is silly because most generational concerns have no real evidence or isn't something you can actually measure or is petty compared to how much more progressive following generations become because they're able to see the past minus rose tinted bottle glasses. i actually have high hopes for you generation z kiddos

Last edited:
All of you guys are extremely intelligent and I enjoyed reading every comment holy ****. You're definitely all well educated and going far in life :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

A reason why I posted this wasn't to complain about our generation though so I hope I didn't come off that way. I just don't talk to many people IRL who can have a dense conversation so I turned to the internet for opinions and I am more than super pleased with how it turned out.

Back