White Violet
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Red Lily
White Lily
Yellow Lily
Hi all!

I have decided i want to buy another copy of the game and make a cycle town. I have no idea where to start though!! I just like being able to help people get their dreamies!

Is there any pro's out there who have a cycle town who would be willing to provide me with some help, tips, even a guide. I just need help starting and knowing what to do.(i haven't bought the game yet)

If anyone can help please feel free to PM me. I have a for sale thread, so if you want something in return for helping me feel free to let me know if there are any items you would like!

Thanks all :lemon:

Well make sure to have a nice town name, mayor name and town tune because villager often talk about their old towns and people don't want they favorite animal saying "ahh i remember mayor flameboy123 from buttville..." but thats pretty obvious

I recommend resetting til you get a popular villager for a starter because it can give you a little boost
Also you should probably get 100% approval before you try to move villagers out. it may take a while but there are loads of guides on what to do for it :)

for cycling you can have a read through this
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?152911-Foolproof-Cycling-Method
and most people use dahlialia's method

good luck!!

You will need to get your rating to 100% first before any villagers should start to move out. You'll be wanting to build the campsite as this is necessary for my cycle town I've found. I recommend earning some money to build the campsite by selling fruit and getting the money rock everyday should do it, just keeping tting day to day until you have enough.
Then I would suggest the cycling method of tting day to day until you find a villager in boxes, that specific date will be known as your boxes day from now on. You tt one year and 5 days back in one go, check campsite, tt one year forward, check campsite, tt 5 days forward and you will be back to your boxes day and another villager will be moving. You will also have a new villager in town.
That method is much easier than some others as you aren't going years into the future, youre just switching between 3 unchanging dates.
For pricing, have a look at what other cycling threads are currently selling for. My prices right now are tier 1 - 60tbt, tier 2 - 50tbt, tier 3 - 35tbt and tier 4 - 25tbt.
I would also recommend when you're advertising villagers who are in boxes to put their price in the thread title next to their name. I find it works for me at least.
Best of luck :)

Last edited:
Mm. Okay, I've done lots of cycle towns before, most of which were very short-lived, so I'll try to give you my best advice for starting up.

Try not to worry too much about a good map when resetting. This is a cycle town! It's not supposed to be pretty. When resetting for the initial town, I usually just pick the first map Rover suggests, haha.

When you're resetting for your initial village, try to aim for at least one popular villager in your lineup. If you're doing this for the benefit of other people, it's completely useless if you start with five Tier 5 villagers. Remember, you will never have a smug or an uchi in your initial lineup. You will have 5/6 of the original personalities. The next three move-ins will always be a smug, an uchi, and the remaining personality you don't already have.

Once you have your town, fill your Re-Tail with seashells or whatever, and get rid of the Someone from Anytown shirts IMMEDIATELY. This will prevent your villagers from putting on undesirable clothing, or selling their original furniture at the flea market.

On the first day, I highly suggest doing the basics to start your town. This will make things a lot easier later. Introduce yourself to all of your villagers, and talk to them until they tell you about saving. (And when they change their shirt, tell them you don't like it so they take it off immediately.) Buy the shovel and net/rod from Nookling Junction, and find your money rock -- pay off Tom Nook with your earnings from the money rock. If you do it right, you should have over 10k. Also, do the Isabelle tutorial! When she asks you whether you want to do fishing or bug catching, do the OPPOSITE of whatever Timmy and Tommy were selling. That way, Isabelle will sell you the tool you don't have. Catch some fish and bugs, and submit them to the museum. Write a long, friendly note on the bulletin board, and if you want to, use the paper Isabelle gives you to write long, friendly letters to your villagers. Preferably the ones that you think you'll end up voiding -- you're doing this to get your approval rating up for the following days. Trust me, it's much easier if you get this stuff out of the way first, before you do anything else. Also, if Redd happens to be in town on the first day, try to make the money to buy whatever genuine art piece he's selling! That will be more approval points when you submit it to the museum!

Once you have all that done, proceed to the next day.

As I said earlier, whatever villager personality type you don't have, you will get as a move-in. You will always get a smug, an uchi, or whatever you're missing. Try to roll for good villagers of these types, of course!

Also, during the next couple of days, keep trying to get your approval rating up. Water flowers, pull weeds when you see them, etc. You're going to want your approval rating to hit 100% so you can build a campsite.

However, do not actually build your campsite until you get your ninth villager. The ninth villager is random, and usually comes 1-5 days after the eighth. After you receive your eighth villager, TT forward a day, and make a new character. Look around your town, and if there's no plot, save and delete that character, and go forward another day. (Be sure to load your mayor in between, though!) Keep doing this -- saving when there's no plot -- until you're eventually ALWAYS rolling a plot. This villager is always a little tricky because you can get ANY personality type, but be persistent and try to get someone good.

Once you have your ninth, you can build your campsite! Build the campsite near the train station -- trust me, it will save so much time. There will ALWAYS be a camper two days after you pay off the campsite, so, as always, reset for someone good!

You only need nine villagers for villagers to want to start moving out. So you'll have to be careful not to accidentally lose anyone. But my tips are just for starting up a cycling town, not cycling in general! :p

Oh, and one last tip: if you want to, put a custom design down next to all of your permanent rocks. That way, you'll always know which one is the ore rock, and you can break it to horde ores. They're great for easy money, and you can sell them for a hella profit on the flea market at Re-Tail. I did that in a cycling town once, and it was beautiful.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You don't need to get 100% rating approval to make villagers move out. Just fill 9 villagers and finish their dialogue about living the town.

but if you want to build a campsite and get a popular villagers then it recommended to get 100% rating approval.

I also like getting my approval rating up to 100% simply because if you don't, Isabelle will nag you about it on the startup screen and it's really annoying. XD

I also like getting my approval rating up to 100% simply because if you don't, Isabelle will nag you about it on the startup screen and it's really annoying. XD

Also it's harder to get your first villager to move out :)
(usually sometimes you are lucky!)

Thanks guys! A big help. I will buy the game today and hopefully get started next week! It will be lovely doing something new with the game! Now once i've got my approval rating to 100% say maybe after 2 weeks does it matter if i keep weeding or not? I'm not making this into a beautiful town, it's purely for cycling. Is it cool to just leave it to "grow" naturally, have weeds etc?

Is the best way of finding someone in boxes to just TT forward a day until i find someone in boxes? Or to note down the day my first person moves out, and do the TT 1 year 5 days trick?

I haven't cycled in a while, but weeds never really mattered much to me. I personally think 1 year 5 days would be faster, but 1 day would be safer if you're not entirely confident in what you're doing since Isabelle always tells you, at the very least, when someone is in boxes.

Thanks guys! A big help. I will buy the game today and hopefully get started next week! It will be lovely doing something new with the game! Now once i've got my approval rating to 100% say maybe after 2 weeks does it matter if i keep weeding or not? I'm not making this into a beautiful town, it's purely for cycling. Is it cool to just leave it to "grow" naturally, have weeds etc?

Is the best way of finding someone in boxes to just TT forward a day until i find someone in boxes? Or to note down the day my first person moves out, and do the TT 1 year 5 days trick?

I've had a few cycling towns.
In most of my cycling towns I've had the Beautiful ordinance so I could grow lots of hybrids. I kept them all in the beach. But the flowers on the mainland do get overgrown- so many flowers everywhere can feel claustrophobic! If I were to have a cycling town again I'd choose BellBoom so people could have a place to sell items if they need to; also you could open up your town for people working on their weeding badge.

It's up to you. Mostly a preference. If you want flowers go for Beautiful. If you want bells go for BellBoom.

P.S. Totally loving everyone's responses! Go much good advice!

One more "Advanced" tip: think about creating an area with PWPs so you can place items on the ground safely. There was someone on here last year that had set up their PWPs in such a way that all their cycling villagers would plot in almost the exact places, all South of the river. The entire North of the river had lightposts Re-Tail, Town Hall and the mayors house and had tons of items on the ground. I would probably set it up the opposite way with the villagers so people can get to the villagers quickly but Re-Tail close to the Train Station is really convenient!

So when i find someone in boxes, do i find them a home before i do the trick of waiting 1 year 5 days. (I'm assuming this is a silly question because if you TT when someone is in boxes they will leave :lemon: duh )

Honey thats a great idea! I actually already own a shop on here, so maybe i could use my cycle town as my shop town too. That way i can concentrate on using my current town just as a normal game! That way it doesn't matter how much stuff is on the ground as i won't be bothered about ratings!

Also! What are your best tips for keeping villagers original. I got that you should change all ANYBODY clothing in Able's to umbrella's, and put seashells up in place of furniture in Re-Tail.
Also don't change villagers Greetings or Sayings.
Anything else?

Crash's guide for cycling is a good resource. Also, for originality, make sure you don't keep your game open too long or else villagers will pick up things from each other.

Ooh! I have one more tip for keeping villagers original:

Never, ever do requests that involve delivering a package to another villager. Sometimes, that package will contain a piece of furniture that they will put in their house.

I learned that the hard way. XD In one of my older cycling towns, I used to deliver packages because I figured, I was going to try to find that villager anyway to see if they're moving... So I would deliver packages to be nice. Bad idea.

Actually, never do villager requests in general. It just wastes time.

Oh! Another thing I should mention: when you cycle to a new day, be sure to talk to everyone in town at least once. If you ignore a villager for too long, they won't ping you. So you have to talk to them all frequently to make sure they ping you.

Also, on the topic of ordinances. I actually prefer having lots of weeds in a cycling town, because then, I can let others pick them to get their weeding badges. I would suggest having Bell Boom as your ordinance, so that way people can sell stuff there. I've had cycling towns with the Beautiful ordinance and... All those flowers. @_@

Last edited:
If you follow the cycling method I mentioned then as long as you fill up retail and change the items in ables you shouldn't have to worry. You won't actually have any dealings with the villagers since all you'll be doing is loading up to check the campsite and then save and quit before changing the time.
Just to clarify, once you find a villager in boxes that is the time to put them up for adoption. Since if you move on they will obviously be gone. So get them adopted or void them and then go 1 year and 5 days back, load up/save quit, then a year forward, same again. and then five days forward and another villager will be boxed up and you can decide what to do with them again before moving on.

Last edited:
I have had a spare copy for a while now and have been wanting to do the same thing just to change things up a little, all very good advice. I think the one year five thing would be odd for me so,done should ping out every six days after the last assuming you have nine...I ha e seen anyway then I just jumped back when I was trying to get rid of a few at one time I didn't want but having a good cycle and making it work as a board can be a whole other story, but I suppose one by one adoptions or sales or giveaways ect ect not a bad way to avoid having to deal with a whole thread run but I always assumed that would go with. Good luck I think I a, going to do the same here after my vacation this month.

Back