• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Foolproof Cycling Method

KermitTea

ello
Bells
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake
Before you leave this page...you better read it all. 'Cuz,

HOLY CRAP IT WORKS!!

Note that this method is for CYCLING PURPOSES. Do not use this method if you are looking keep or get rid of specific villagers!

So, I found this on another site and I've been trying it out. It works every single time for me, and you get a move out in less than 10 minutes guaranteed. So I thought I would share it here!

Original Method:
For those of us who have towns that are used for cycling villagers, this cycling method will have someone in boxes every 3rd game load, without missing a single one, plus you will gain a new villager.

1. After loading on a day when someone is in boxes, quit and save, load game and change the time and advance the year by 1.

2. Quit and save, load game, change the time, and advance the year by 1 again.

3. Quit and save, load game, change time... But this time only advance by 5 days." -IvaPearl

Simply rinse and repeat to keep cycling!
Example:
December 5th, 2013. Villager in boxes
December 5th, 2014.
December 5th, 2015.
December 10th, 2015. Villager in boxes

Modified method that allows you to stay within the same time frame:
by dahlialia:
1. When a villager is in boxes, go BACK 1 year and 5 days from your current date. Save game.
2. Go forward 1 year. Save game.
3. Go forward 5 days. The next villager will be in boxes.

The advantage of this method is that it you can keep your game ultimately to the current date. It's also a little easier for younger players (like my daughter) to just move it between three predefined dates, rather than having to remember...how far am I going forward this time?

To give you an example, the last few cycles in my town have been like this:

May 14 2014 - Pashmina in boxes, Chrissy new
Set game to May 9 2013, save and quit.
Set game to May 9 2014, save and quit.
Set game to May 14 2014, Jitters is in boxes, Bree new (all other villagers the same)
Set game to May 9 2013, save and quit.
Set game to May 9 2014, save and quit.
Set game to May 14, 2014, Bones is in boxes, Katt is new (no other changes to villagers).

So yeah! Try it out and see how it works :) let me know if there's any changes or edits that need to be made. I've followed this method and it's a piece of cake.

Edit:
1) This will only work if you do not have any villagers you want to keep. You will not get a ping. Instead, as stated, every third load you will get a random villager in boxes.
2) When you get to the year 2050 (the maximum), simply go back to year 2012, then 2013, then forward five days...and the cycle goes on. I have seen some comments where people have not been successful with this, so I suggest you to check out the similar methods spoiler :)
3) For weeding purposes...As long as you don't have the beautiful town ordinance in effect, those same 3 loads will get you about 110-115 weeds.

Smaller time jumps / different ways of starting the cycle again
Note that I have not tried these myself. If you have any questions or concerns I suggest you to post a comment or ask the user directly :)

by Linyin:
actually, there is another way even faster and always work well for me..
1.Choose a day that one of your villager ping you for moving, if you dont want him leave, say no then save game and quit.
2.Log in the game again, change the month to next month, but same day. There must be another villager gonna ping you in on this day. and he must be one of those villagers outside their house.
3.If the villager ping you this time is not the one you want him to move, say no then save and quit. Repeat step 2 until you get the one you that want to move.
4.If the villager ping you is the one you hope to move, say yes. Then change the time to two days after, he will be gone on this day. Then change the time back to current real time.(nobody's gonna leave in this way)

By Zulehan:
I can confirm the method described on the opening post; it is efficient. Not sure if the following has been mentioned in this long topic, but I observed:

1. After jumping ahead one year then another one year, you may talk to each villager once so he is on 'speaking terms' with you again, save and quit, then run around for a ping so that you can decide whether or not to keep a villager. I suppose this might matter to people like me who are considering eventually making their cycling town a 'permanent' town. So far there is only one villager I have bothered to keep in my town: Twiggy.

2. Speaking of Twiggy, I did exactly what was described above (jumped one year then another one year, then refused to let a villager go before jumping the last five days), then jumped the final five days anyway to see what happened. Another villager, Naomi, pinged me, giving as her move date five days later.

In other words, if you refuse to let a villager move after jumping two years, when you jump the five days that would have put the originally 'chosen' villager 'in boxes,' the game instead chooses another villager who will announce going 'into boxes' when you jump another five days. Another way of describing this:

1: TT one year.
2: TT one year.
3: Get on 'speaking terms' with villagers.
4: Save and quit.
5. Run around to find a villager who pings to move.
6: Refuse to let that villager go.
7: Acting as if that villager were 'in boxes,' TT five days.
8: Run around to find a villager who pings to move.
9: Accept the villager's decision to move.
10: TT another five days to find THAT villager 'in boxes.'
11: Continue the cycling as usual.

Again, I suppose this is only of interest to people like me who are open to the possibility of making their cycling town a 'permanent' town, and want to accumulate 'must-have' villagers.

by momayo:
I use a variant of this method; instead of 1-yr intervals, I find that just 2 weeks can work fine most of the time! (e.g. TT January 1 >> January 15 >> check who moves out and respond appropriately; then travel two weeks forward again to Feb 1 and start over)

I use this in my main (non-cycling) town and so far I've been able to keep everyone I wanted to keep.

by SoSu
Love this method and never lost a villager, but couldn't get the hang of 2050:) If my first jump was into 2050, and my second jump was back to 2012, I would not have someone in boxes 5 days later. My solution was to avoid 2050! If I had someone in boxes in 2048 or 2049, I would make my FIRST jump back to 2012, second jump to 2013 and then 5 days later have someone in boxes. It's just magic! Thanks again!

Karen
Neriifur
Dianna
misschips46
Venice
awesomeperson1
fallenchaoskitten
ccemuka
noahmeow
HelloAnna
LittleBeary
Andel
Chocolie
Gracelia
Cinammon78
vodkasmizmar
Rindeseyu
Hybridbreeder1
skweegee
Kim
Yui Z
Candice
Hot
cinny
kitanii
Lime
Momonoki
Sundance
Candy83
bigger34
tsundere
Ahri
SoSu
nyenisu
budewarmin
Farobi
dahlialia
littlemissmarzipanmermaid
1980 Something Spaceguy
amylsp
Maruchan
VioletsTown
Panduhh
dropinthebucket
Linyin
Jerika25
Zulehan
A legend
C a l l a w a y
momayo

Last edited:
I never tried this method, but when i cycled i simply went forward 5 days at a time. Someone ended up in boxes quickly, and i never lost a villager.

So wait...this works without any current villagers moving out in between?

I thought that if you went 1 year ahead, you always gained one, lost one...

This is what I do when I'm speed cycling. I get a new villager + someone in boxes every 7 minutes. A friend of mine told me about this method. It's sweet and flawlessly awesome.

Also once you get to the year 2050 just go back to the year 2012. It still counts as one year forward.

So example:

2050 someone is in boxes-
2012 -> 2013 -> 5 days.

Last edited:
This is what I do when I'm speed cycling. I get a new villager + someone in boxes every 7 minutes. A friend of mine told me about this method. It's sweet and flawlessly awesome.

Also once you get to the year 2050 just go back to the year 2012. It still counts as one year forward.

So example:

2050 someone is in boxes-
2012 -> 2013 -> 5 days.

Yep!~ glad to hear it works!

- - - Post Merge - - -

So wait...this works without any current villagers moving out in between?

I thought that if you went 1 year ahead, you always gained one, lost one...

The thing is that you start doing this method when a villager is in boxes :3

I also want to say, Karen, super cute avatar. I love his expression there, both my hubby and toddler like it. :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll have to try this out. When I get a villager to get into boxes, that is. Thanks for sharing. ^^

Man, I really want to try this as it sounds so much easier, but my cycle town currently has Marshal, Merengue, Julian, and Lolly in it. The price of a random move-out without boxes is so high....

Would love to get more confirmation that it works to box up villagers without any villager loss....

Man, I really want to try this as it sounds so much easier, but my cycle town currently has Marshal, Merengue, Julian, and Lolly in it. The price of a random move-out without boxes is so high....

Would love to get more confirmation that it works to box up villagers without any villager loss....

For me...100% villager in boxes, never lost one to the void. But again, if you have villagers you want to keep then maybe try the 3-day method or just TT by day

Back