• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

ACNH unpopular opinions?

-I would like it if...in winter are flowers die and come back in spring. This is just me. I dont like the flowers in the snow. It looks bad. Theres no where to put them unless I want to breed them all over again. Plus I would have open areas for snowballs to spawn. This is just a me problem I think, becuase I never leave any open space and iv never heard of anyone else having this issue.

-I cant believe we still have no mini games. I love decorating but theres only so many times I can move things around before I'm completely over it. The new DLC is nice but it's just happy home designer again. Which I only played for a few weeks. I unlocked all the furniture and was over it. I need things to do with my villagers. I would love to play a card game or board game with them. This is the best game we've had in my opinion but they still cant let us kick a ball around WITH ARE VILLAGERS, like WE COULD ON GAMECUBE?????? please imagine kicking a ball around with your favorite villager.

- NMT as currency kinda ruins the fun of trading due to charging high nmt for something simple
- the ac community became too toxic
- I dont find isabelle annoying
- I wish grass deteriorating was a thing still
- acnh sound track is kinda boring compared to older games
- i find the "ugly" villagers to be sorta cute?? (not trying to be the odd one out here, i just genuiely think some are cute in their own way)

Unpopular Opinion: From my experience in New Leaf, although I haven’t had him yet in New Horizons (due to not having as many game copies), Rodney is an excellent villager.
^^^ ALSO THIS i think he's adorable?? sdksdksk all my friends make fun of me for liking him but i think he's great

I'm not really sure if this is really unpopular, but I don't really care about the world-building aspect of this game. I kind of miss when Animal Crossing wasn't just world building and was actually a social simulator. This game is first and foremost a world-building game and the social simulator part was clearly just an afterthought to them (as evidenced by the villagers' bland and uncreative dialogue/interactions).

I honestly don't care that much about being in control of the placement of every single building. Back in the day, you didn't even have control over where your own house was located. Much more simple and a lot less stress of having to get everything placed/designed perfectly.

Last edited:
Megan is underrated.
Pansies look better in new leaf.
Lillies look better in new horizons.
Bug hunting is better in new horizons.
I'd be fine if Nintendo chooses to keep the new graphic texture or go back to older texture.
I like new horizons graphics. Characters are saturated in a colorful way, texture almost look like felt creations of a lonely person which I love. Things are smoothly sculpted (no random polygon looking points). Older AC things and characters were like a painted project of a lonely person who made up friends so they wouldn't be lonely... Lol. If they ever get away from both, I hope they STILL stick to a creation/crafts feel of characters. It's charming.

the new horizons villager dialogue is stale and lifeless. it makes me go feral hearing the same 5 painfully milquetoast lines from a singular personality type every. single. day.

maybe it's just me but i sincerely miss how unfiltered villager dialogue could be in the older games, there was a certain charm to being called a fat bloated idiot by a funny virtual animal for simply inconveniencing them once

After trying way too long to get him to leave my island, I've decided that I frickin' hate Marty. Most of the time I can't even find him...where does he GO?

-I would like it if...in winter are flowers die and come back in spring. This is just me. I dont like the flowers in the snow. It looks bad. Theres no where to put them unless I want to breed them all over again. Plus I would have open areas for snowballs to spawn. This is just a me problem I think, becuase I never leave any open space and iv never heard of anyone else having this issue.

Yeah, I don't like flowery and green winters are in Animal Crossing. There can be winter flowers, because there are IRL, but not every kind. Also trees and bushes should lose leaves. It's one of the most distinctive visual features of winter IRL. Especially where I live where snow is rare.

I'm not really sure if this is really unpopular, but I could honestly care less about the world-building aspect of this game. I kind of miss when Animal Crossing wasn't just world building and was actually a social simulator. This game is first and foremost a world-building game and the social simulator part was clearly just an afterthought to them (as evidenced by the villagers' bland and uncreative dialogue/interactions).

I honestly don't care about being in control of the placement of every single building. Back in the day, you didn't even have control over where your own house was located. Much more simple and a lot less stress.

About the world building thing you're talking about - I don't know when you got into AC, but I noticed in general older (as in been into AC longer, not age) AC fans who got into the series pre-NL generally seem to be lesser excited about HHP because they don't care about the world building thing as much. Pre-NL, the series was more of a social simulator. I feel like NL and it adding more customization options changed that. Obviously this isn't a universal thing, because there are older fans that like world building, or even newer fans who prefer things that aren't world building. But this is just a commonality I've noticed.

I'm personally glad for the world building, because even though I'd been trying to get into the AC series since the Gamecube game, I never enjoyed it for very long until NL came out and that world building could help suck me in. But I can understand why people who play for other reasons would be less excited for HHP.

• I love the little game roaches.
  • I love weeds. I would like it if they increased the limit of how many grown ones we could get in town.
  • Villager hunting stinks, Amiibos are the way to go.
  • I don’t like any of the new villagers now, or the new villagers on the upcoming update.
  • I think Shino is probably the ugliest of the new villages, but I know she will be well liked by others.
  • Judy’s eyes are creepy, and not in a good way.
  • Island rating and happy home academy are pointless. What they think is beautiful is not what I think is beautiful. I don’t want a room full of the same matching furniture all around.
  • Barold is beautiful.
  • Dream addresses where I have to use the latter and pole are a nightmare.
  • I dislike selling turnips.

-I cant believe we still have no mini games. I love decorating but theres only so many times I can move things around before I'm completely over it. The new DLC is nice but it's just happy home designer again. Which I only played for a few weeks. I unlocked all the furniture and was over it. I need things to do with my villagers. I would love to play a card game or board game with them. This is the best game we've had in my opinion but they still cant let us kick a ball around WITH ARE VILLAGERS, like WE COULD ON GAMECUBE?????? please imagine kicking a ball around with your favorite villager.
WE COULD KICK AROUND THE BALL WITH THE VILLAGERS???????????????

I hate the hair colours in new horizons - I much preferred them in NL and both blonde hair colours are really bad in my opinion. I wish that Harriet would teach you more hair colours instead of even more hairstyles when we already have tons of those.
The fact that there isn't a natural hair color slider is a travesty.

Labelle has more or less succeeded Gracie in terms of game relevance. I basically consider her to be Gracie's C.J, Flick, Daisy Mae, etc. As in, Gracie doesn't need to return.

With 40 stonking spaces in our inventory, the debit card is obsolete and doesn't need a comeback. It would be cute for roleplaying purposes but otherwise it's just another random item to keep track of. I gave another player 3 million bells today and still had space for more money. Making a trip to the ABD when you're short at the shop isn't that big of a deal, especially since we're getting a functional ABD soon.

While I enjoy the community building aspect of HHP, I wish they were located on the main island and not the archipelago.

Honestly I don't care about the villagers. They are kinda boring and usless. I never talk to them. They are a waste of space

About the world building thing you're talking about - I don't know when you got into AC, but I noticed in general older (as in been into AC longer, not age) AC fans who got into the series pre-NL generally seem to be lesser excited about HHP because they don't care about the world building thing as much. Pre-NL, the series was more of a social simulator. I feel like NL and it adding more customization options changed that. Obviously this isn't a universal thing, because there are older fans that like world building, or even newer fans who prefer things that aren't world building. But this is just a commonality I've noticed.

I'm personally glad for the world building, because even though I'd been trying to get into the AC series since the Gamecube game, I never enjoyed it for very long until NL came out and that world building could help suck me in. But I can understand why people who play for other reasons would be less excited for HHP.

The funny thing is that I actually really like designing home interiors, but I just don't care about having control over the physical world itself. So I actually am looking forward to HHP, haha. And it's not that I mind having the option to world build in this game, it's just that I don't like how they scaled back the social simulator aspect in favor of just making the entire game be based around design/crafting/world building. Take that away, and you're honestly not left with much.

i’m not sure if this is unpopular but i don’t see anyone talking about it, rant ensuing:

basically i hATE how terraforming / outdoor decorating works in this game.

why must we be required to pull out our nook phone, open the custom design app, and place the same tile over. and over. and over again in order to make a decent looking path with a custom design??? and god forbid - your character isn’t in the right spot to place a new tile and instead erases the one you JUST put down.

why can’t the outdoor decorating function be like the one inside???? i want to be able to access my storage and pull stuff out as i see fit ( the way you have to empty your pockets and go run to your storage and figure out what furniture to pull out it so extra :/// the new storage shed will kinda help ig but not really tbh ) and then be able to SEE what tiles i can place items on, be able to rotate them and throw trees, cliffs, bodies of water, and other things down with the just click of a button. and they’d be exactly where you want!!! this would make everything soooo much easier dude oml

i want a birds eye view of my island & adjustable angles when i’m trying to plan what i want it to look like, my brain can’t process only being able to work on a tiny portion of it at a time the way it is now

it’s so frustrating to me,,
you don’t understand how excited i was to see in the direct, that in HHP you can do almost exactly what i’m describing. it’s probably only going to be for vacation homes but i really hope not.

my island is still trash even though the game has been out for almost two years and it’s bc i cant bring myself to seriously start working on it. the terraforming and outdoor decorating functions are impossible for me to enjoy using, they’re just so overwhelming and i feel like i can’t relate to anyone else about it. i’m begging for the ability to use the interior design functions on the outside and the more i think about it, it should already be a thing.

aight rant over for now

Everyday that goes by now I'm getting less excited for the update. Sure I'm so ready for new items but did we really get anything else? My villagers are still boring to talk to. More popular NPCs have been forgotten. I still have nothing to keep me coming back everyday. Theres no quality of life coming to the game, just quantitys of items. I liked talking to kyle, punchy and static everyday. Now they've got nothing to say. I just got home from work and had a crappy day. I thought about getting on the game and then said why? Theres nothing to do till the update. I'll just read a book. That's how I go months without playing and soon enough my switch is collecting dust next to my DSI.

Back