• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

About Merengue and starting villagers

Mattson

Bells
I hope this kind of post hadn't been done before (I saw a similiar one about Fauna but I can't find it now urr), but here's the prob: I restart my town hopping to get Merengue as a starting villagers (since she's extra popular and it's almost impossible to get her by tradding), and after countless and countless tries, she still doesn't show up.

So I was wondering if it's even possible to get here that way? Does anyone get Merengue as a starting villager ?

I had her as a starting villager before.

After almost 3000 resets in between all my games, the only personality ive never seen be a starter is Uchi or Smug.

The chances of getting one specific villager as your starter is pretty slim. I know the first 5 villagers are combos of jock, cranky, snooty, lazy, normal, and peppy. Seeing how it's 6, you might not even get a normal personality villager as a starter which makes the chances even slimmer.

Loviechu> OH YYYEES thank you so much for your answer it really cheers me up ;u; I really had the feeling to waste my time, but if it's possible then I have to keep on trying I suppose o9

Thanks for your answers !! you guys are fast wow.

edit:
Sholee> yeah it's very frustrating :/ I had Ankha like 5 times and it's... urrrrrhhhhh...

Last edited:
With 313 available villagers, resetting to get Merengue as a starter would be quite difficult without some serious patience, especially since you will have to choose a map layout for your town each & every time. For me, it was more important to have the perfect landscape for my town before I have the perfect villagers that I want. Villagers can come & go, but the way your town is laid out is permanent.

Unless of course your doing this on an extra copy of NL, or you simply could care less about how your town starts off as.

I think you can't get an uchi or smug
And I heard once you can't get octpi (octavian, marina or zucker)

Anampses> yup, I'm pretty concerned about the landscape for my town too because that was the major flaw of my first town, so I try to take the best one everytime. But I love Merengue so much I guess she's worth three ponds (and there's always one landscape which is not too bad... well ALMOST always)

StarryACNL> oh yeah, I heard that about octopi too D: that sucks it's my favorite animal...

Cant you choose a map you're happy with and basically do the villager house placement trick until you get her moving in the next day? Or are you adamant to have her in the few houses already there when you start?

Cant you choose a map you're happy with and basically do the villager house placement trick until you get her moving in the next day? Or are you adamant to have her in the few houses already there when you start?

Yup. This would be the best method IMO if you choose to reset for a specific villager.

Yup. This would be the best method IMO if you choose to reset for a specific villager.

Oh I never heard about this trick, how does it work ?
(and betting on one villager per day, isn't it less efficient than restart the game ? since you have 5 villagers at first, don't you have more chance to get the one you want ?)

1st day in my town, I use the reset trick and get Merengue. Unfortunately she moved into a horrible spot so I reset.
So it's best to do the reset trick.

Before I made my current town, I briefly had another town and Merengue was one of my starters, so it's definitely possible.

Oh I never heard about this trick, how does it work ?
(and betting on one villager per day, isn't it less efficient than restart the game ? since you have 5 villagers at first, don't you have more chance to get the one you want ?)

It may seem less efficient to roll the dice on one villager instead of the the five starters, but I honestly think it takes longer having to make a new town every time you reset.

Anyways, the trick works like this:
Day 1: New villager has just moved in with boxes.
Day 2: New villager has unpacked and their house furniture is all set.

Day 3 is where the trick comes into play. The day after a villager unpacks & settles in, there will be a plot randomly placed somewhere on your map for the next new villager (with the sign post telling you the name of the new resident & their plot roped off for them to move in the next day)

On Day 3, make sure the first time you check in to your town is NOT your main character, the Mayor. Instead, right away make a new character and give them some random name. As your new character goes through the intro on the train and gets off the station, walk around your town until you find out where the new plot is and who your new villager is. If you dislike the location of the new villager's home or who the chosen villager is, reset the game.

Since it was a new character you made with no house, when you boot up NL again Mr. Resetti will not show up since that new character technically never existed. Rinse & repeat, until you are satisfied with which villager moves in and where they chose to plop down. Once you have the villager you want, save & quit with your new character (which unfortunately requires you to go through the process with Nook to build your new char's house as well)

Then simply demolish your new character's house to delete the extra save file.

Hope that all made sense.

Anampses> okaaaay thank you very much !! I will try that then, it sure seems faster.

Last edited:
Of course you can have her as a starting villager! In fact, you can for any villager. I just think Merengue is a bit rare. But if you keep trying, you'll get her eventually... :)

I continually restarted towns for villagers for myself and a few friends and have managed to get quite a few. ~ though never the one I was originally after, (Flora, the only Dream villager I still need.)

But I have discovered there is a tweak to the villager reset glitch you can do to get Smug/uchi villagers and ~ though it's more difficult works with other personalities too, if you want to try for Merengue that way:
Create new towns until you get one that has no normal personality starting villagers. (so 1 of each, peppy, snooty, lazy, jock and cranky) Use the reset trick to get a smug/uchi villager on day 2 of the town, and then on day 4 get the other from smug/uchi. On day 6 you can then reset and only normal personality villagers will move in.
It's still something like a 1 in 45 chance each new char you make that day, and is a bit more work setting up than making new towns, and takes a little longer as you do also have to find the plot in the town, but to me it's more interesting and by day 6 you can have the campsite set up (near the station) so you can then see if she happens to appear there too.

Back