• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

A dumb rant about my plans for the future

Mrs. Spock

Bells
The only reason I'm making this a thread is because maybe some other people want to do the things I want to do too.

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to be a movie director. When I as little all I would do is watch movies, because that's the only thing the babysitter had that would make me shut up. So that's all I did all day. I developed a respect for film at the age of 6. I was so interested in it even though I had no idea how it happened. I didn't really know what a movie director was. When I was 9 I had done tons of research on how movies were made, and I decided I wanted to be a movie director. So, I found a digital camera, which was really cool to me at the time because I had only ever used film. (hah I shouldn't have been so excited oF THE EXTINCTION OF FILM). But anyways, me and my cousins made a detective story about some detectives trying to find a child's bellybutton because he claimed it went missing. At the end of the film it was revealed that his bellybutton was actually just under his pants, and he had pulled them up too high. It was actually really good for a film made by a 9 year old. Then we lost the camera. Whoops. Over the next 2 years we tried to remake it but we never got it right, so it just never happened. To this day I still want to make stupid short films, but I can't find any actors that are dumb enough to work with me. I've written scripts with my cousin and everything. They're mostly short 10 minute films with very very strange nonlinear plot lines. It's a lot of fun. I'm really hoping I'll get to be a movie director when I grow up, but it's scary to think about. It's really hard to get a movie made at all, especially for a girl. Only 16% of directors, writers, executive producers, producers, cinematographers, and editors are women. Which is absolutely TERRIFYING. I'm hoping that will change by the time I finish college. It should, I mean it's so stupid! Women are just as good as men at making films. They've made some amazing stuff.

American Psycho was directed by a woman
Little Women was directed by a woman
Lost In Translation
The Hurt Locker
Clueless
All directed by women, and they were really good. Sadly, the list isn't very long. I can't find many popular examples that most people would have heard of.

So yea. I'm scared sh**less because the likelihood of my lifelong dream coming true is slim just because I'm a female. But uh, anyways, does anyone else here want to be in the film industry? What are your thoughts about this? Have anything to add?

P.S. Guardians of The Galaxy was written by a woman.

I suggest you could try making videos on YouTube for the experience. And I'm not sure if you need a degree to get into the film business

I suggest you could try making videos on YouTube for the experience. And I'm not sure if you need a degree to get into the film business

You don't need a degree, you don't even need to go to college. All they care about is that you're good at making films.

Don't give up on it just because you're female. All that matters is what you create, not your gender. I want to be a graphic designer and I'm going to apply for a career school next year. The best you can do is just create, create, create, and never stop. Practice makes perfect. c:

never give up. gender should be meaningless when it comes to your talent if you can make a kick-ass movie or video. i'm sure you'll do fine.

never give up. gender should be meaningless when it comes to your talent if you can make a kick-ass movie or video. i'm sure you'll do fine.

I know but the film industry views females very unequally and i juststtt ueghh But eventually it will all be sorted out. Until then I'll just keep doing what I do even if I never become a movie director.

don't give up! try entering short film making competitions and things like that to get some experience and improve your skills. good luck!

I am sure you would find more female directors in the independent movie scene. Also, if you look at television series. For instance, Steven Universe is directed by Rebecca Sugar. Even in the more mainstream, you would find more examples in television series of female directors, such as Michelle MacLaren for several episodes of Game of Thrones.

I think nearly all industries are stacked against females, some more so than others. Don't let that keep you from trying something you love though! We are truly getting to a time of empowerment and equal rights among genders (getting there, I say, not there yet).

When I was younger, I thought going to trade/art school was a sham. Surely if you had the talent and the desire to learn on your own someone important would find out about you, right? It's not always that easy and a college/technical school can really help you out in more ways than one. You'll be able to build a portfolio and learn under professionals who have been in the industry for years, you'll be able to learn about the things that aren't commonly thought of as being part of the job, and you'll be able to network like you wouldn't believe!

I like the suggestion of starting a youtube channel to show off your work. You don't even need to put out content weekly or anything. Just use it to showcase your work and what you can do! As an added bonus, it will really help you be able to see how you've grown, learned, and changed as a director. As far as finding people to help you, tell everyone you know what you are doing. Ask friends, co-workers, relatives, or post fliers around local businesses (colleges, churches, whatever you're into) if you're old enough.

Good luck in your endeavors!

A dumb rant??? No! Your dreams for the future aren't dumb! It's not really a rant either, just you telling us about them. Now this is a rant. Have more self confidence too, just because you're a female and females are discriminated a lot doesn't mean your chances are lower, it means you have to work harder. (And something is really wrong with my spacebar!)

good luck. my friend has the same dream. to be honest i don't see it happening.

Back