• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

20 Years Ago...

DarthGohan1

TBT Old Timer
Retired Staff
Bells
Chocolate Cake
Wallopoid
Wallopoid
Pavé
Cake
5 Envelopes
Mailbox
Anyone who used to read Nintendo Power will remember they always published the top selling games each month. 20 years ago, Animal Crossing made its first appearance on the list, trailing only Mario Sunshine and Star Fox Adventures. Never could have imagined 20 years ago that Animal Crossing would go on to become what it has. It had some tough competition back then :)

nintendopower20yearsago-AC.png

This list of games is so nostalgic! Though I don’t see Animal Crossing listed in this image 🙃

Edit: oh I’m dumb and need glasses
It’s in the gray

This list of games is so nostalgic! Though I don’t see Animal Crossing listed in this image 🙃

Edit: oh I’m dumb and need glasses
It’s in the gray
Gray are the Gamecube games, White are the Gameboy Advance (and a couple GBC games) :)

wow, this is surprising! I never grew up with Nintendo Power (I learned of the company through a relative who handed me his DS and copies of Gen 4 and MKDS when I was 3, 4, or 5), so I was shocked when I learned it existed and still printed in my birth year! Still, the fact Animal Crossing almost outsold Sunshine of all games is shocking.
(also, what year did Power stop printing? just curious, because I may try to track down some copies of the magazine!)

wow, this is surprising! I never grew up with Nintendo Power (I learned of the company through a relative who handed me his DS and copies of Gen 4 and MKDS when I was 3, 4, or 5), so I was shocked when I learned it existed and still printed in my birth year! Still, the fact Animal Crossing almost outsold Sunshine of all games is shocking.
(also, what year did Power stop printing? just curious, because I may try to track down some copies of the magazine!)
if you can find some copies, they're fun to look through. I believe Nintendo Power stopped printing sometime around 2010-2012, but around 2006/2007 Nintendo stopped making Nintendo Power themselves, so the quality went down imo. I'd suggest looking for pre-2007 issues.

if you don't care about owning the issues, some old issues are archived online if you'd like to read through some:

Back