• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

🌎🪐Astronomy Appreciation Thread ⭐🌙

Shawna

AroAce, ASD, and Proud ^^
Bells
Switch
4449-2922-3110
Toy Duck Plush
User Title Color Change
I said months ago that I have been wanting to create an astronomy appreciation thread, so now I am finally getting around to it. <333

I just love it so much; it is so fascinating... 🥹🌸💕 I have always loved astronomy...I have lost count about the number of dreams I had that were astronomy/sky-related.

I love to stargaze, and I love astronomical events like shooting stars and eclipses <3333

I also cannot fathom all the planets that are out there. Think about it: There are billions of them in our galaxy alone. It is actually absurd to assume we are alone in this galaxy, let alone the entire universe (which contains billions, maybe even trillions of galaxies). Hell, I remember for my very first dream job when I was 8 years old, I wanted to be an astronaut. Then I realized it was too much college and to much physical fitness required. XDDDD
I remember I was gonna go to college in 2017, but that didn't work out, but I digress.

I love it when Jupiter and Venus are out at night, since they are very bright and beautiful, even brighter than Sirus, the brightest star other than our Sun.

My favorite stars are Sirus, Betelgeuse, and Canopus. Sirus very bright and beautiful, I love seeing Betelgeuse in the constellation Orion since it is a orange-ish tint compared to the rest of it's stars, and Canopus is very noticeable since it appears pretty low and pretty far south in the sky (I actually heard you had to live down south enough to see it, luckily I can <3333) and it is also pretty bright.

And if I may being Animal Crossing into this, I appreciate that the moon phases align with real life (assuming you do not time travel). For example, since we are experiencing a waxing crescent tonight, it is also a waxing crescent in the game. (again, if you don't time travel, that is) I even moreso appreciate that Nintendo remembered to flip the moon in the southern hemisphere. For example, waxing crescents, the current phase of the moon are illuminated on the right side of the moon. In the southern hemisphere, waxing crescents are illuminated on the left side.

anyway, use this topic to gush about anything astronomy related. Discuss, take pictures, post, quizzes, etc. etc. etc. ✨🌙

How do you appreciate astronomy where you live? I'm not fascinated by astronomy, but I am impressed by the magnitude of the cosmos. Personally, it's difficult to appreciate something I cannot see up close or experience first hand. Especially if it's something light years away from us. 🌎 I do admit, galaxies and constellations are pretty, but where I live, there's too much light pollution to see that stuff. 🏙 Hopefully you're able to enjoy your fascination with little difficulty. It's nice that Animal Crossing got the moon phases right too: I know I would feel annoyed if something I'm really into is represented incorrectly in a video game I love. 😱

I have quite the exstensive knowledge on astronomy and even a bit about astrophysics although I do not let any kind of math cross my mind. I have been keen on astronomy for a few years now and it truly is fascinating, I really wish humans would spend less ressources on stupid things and invest more in space research in general.
I'm lucky enough that my dad lives in the countryside so I can gaze at a beautiful starry sky with a somptuous milky way arm through it whenever I go.
My favorite space object would have to be Hoag's object, it looks so pretty I love it; and as for my favorite stare I'd say Vega! I feel linked to that star for some reason lol idk why I just like it.

I don't care much for our solar system tbh nor planets in general, I really care about deep space and huge or strange objects, thinking about it really makes my brain fry though, it's so much to process. Although it does help me to take a step back from life, thinking about insignificant we truly are does help me to de-escalate my anxiety.

I've been following Webb's launching for a while and I was so happy to see its first images, I'm so fascinated to see the gigantic leaps humanity took astronomy-wise in just a few years compared to our entire existence, it makes me very excited to see what else we might discover and what (or who!!!) we might encounter in the future.

i love astronomy. if i lived in a more remote area, or at least had access to one, i'd love to take up astrophotography. alas

one of my biggest wishes before i kark it is to see the aurora in any capacity. living in the city, and living in michigan, it seems we miss out on witnessing a lot of cool meteorological events that happen because of crappy weather or my personal proximity to the largest city in the state. too much light pollution.

Back