101 Reasons Why Arguments Are Useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing is easy.

Why justify those people with a response? They're not going to learn anything.

Maybe they won't, but perhaps some of the people who were observing the conflict would learn from it.

Besides, this is the only place where I can be "out" as a man.. and that person made me feel like they were forcing me back in the closet.

Try being silent when someone purposely misgenders you. It ain't easy.
Oh, that thread. To be fair, the discussion that arose was not relevant to the thread and having a heated debate about what you feel your true gender is in a thread about a video game where that doesn't even apply (seriously), it was obviously gonna be closed.

I don't like getting into arguments. I'm very harsh when it comes to making points so I'm seen as somebody that wants to escalate the situation. The two arguments I was involved in on this forum where the thread was closed afterwards was with two fairly close-minded people who didn't even try to see my point, getting passive aggressive along the way and making me out to be the bad guy.

If people want to see me as a bad person, that's their prerogative. But then they shouldn't shove the blame entirely onto me, because if they don't want to even try seeing my side of things they're only making the situation worse.

Ehehe...
I'm known to be passive-aggressive, which I'm not proud of, but it's either that or be downright rude with me. I'm not good at walking away.

If any body tried to misgender me, I'd let my beard do the talking.

Or little mr happy.

*sigh* Neither of those things make a person a man, though. Trans women can have those things and are still women. Trans men can lack those things and still be men.

Maybe they won't, but perhaps some of the people who were observing the conflict would learn from it.

Besides, this is the only place where I can be "out" as a man.. and that person made me feel like they were forcing me back in the closet.

I'm just saying- if you dignify every ding-dong with a response, sometimes you end up just getting riled up over some stupid comment, and that ain't the way to be. If they want to learn, let 'em google it.

It's like- the internet. You can't just let people control how you feel, especially when they're probably just trying to irritate you.

this thread really serves no purpose.
going around the forums isnt really that "depressing", because disagreements happen all the time in every facet of life.

i think ocelot said this -- its how people handle the disagreements, is how things happen.
admittedly, i get heated very easily and i snap and bark. i also get hurt easily. after ive calmed down, i try to assess the situation and go back over it to see where i went wrong.

debates are good. debates are healthy.
but they have to be mature.
once it devolves into pointless drivel of attacking for no reason, thats when it is indeed useless -- but it will never stop. nothing will change it.

unfortunately, since there are people on this forum, we will see some arguments. weve all seen them, weve all dealt with them. they may not be pleasant, but theyre a part of life, because everyone has different opinions and some people can be very stubborn about their opinions.

anyway. again, i dont see much reason for this thread, as it is something that has always, and will always, be a part of human culture.

edit: even if one person does back down, the other can potentially still continue to ruthlessly attack them. it is not new. is it sad? yes, absolutely.
but these forums arent really depressing -- at least, not to me -- because i know this is just the way things are and im just glad i havent witnessed a really really bad explosion yet.

Last edited:
I'm just saying- if you dignify every ding-dong with a response, sometimes you end up just getting riled up over some stupid comment, and that ain't the way to be. If they want to learn, let 'em google it.

It's like- the internet. You can't just let people control how you feel, especially when they're probably just trying to irritate you.

Well, if that's how you'd handle that sort of situation, then by all means, walk away.

But I personally believe that things like homophobia, racism, sexism and transphobia shouldn't be ignored. Walking away from something like that just leaves the impression that they can get away with it.

Last edited:
honestly just living on earth is depressing
arguments everywhere

arguments arent useless imo and opinions can actually form from arguments. sometimes better people come out of arguments and sometimes worse people come out of them. arguing is natural. agreeing 2 disagree is absolute bull****

THOUGH DEBATES ARE A LOT BETTER THAN ARGUMENTS, arguments can still be useful, spectators can form opinions from the argument and like i previously said, the argument-ers? themselves can form new opinions, just be too stubborn to admit so, then apply the opinions formed in the argument to situations later in life even though they refused to apply it earlier. so they arent useless. but debates are definitely better

Well, if that's how you'd handle that sort of situation, then by all means, walk away.

But I personally believe that things like homophobia, racism, sexism and transphobia shouldn't be ignored. Walking away from something like that just leaves the impression that they can get away with it.

Calling someone out for these things shouldn't even be seen as arguing. It's calling someone out on being intolerant, and that's something everyone should be standing behind.

honestly just living on earth is depressing
arguments everywhere

arguments arent useless imo and opinions can actually form from arguments. sometimes better people come out of arguments and sometimes worse people come out of them. arguing is natural. agreeing 2 disagree is absolute bull****

THOUGH DEBATES ARE A LOT BETTER THAN ARGUMENTS, arguments can still be useful, spectators can form opinions from the argument and like i previously said, the argument-ers? themselves can form new opinions, just be too stubborn to admit so, then apply the opinions formed in the argument to situations later in life even though they refused to apply it earlier. so they arent useless. but debates are definitely better

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Especially the argument vs. debate part.

Arguments made up of pretty much nothing but name-calling aren't very useful, though.. imo.

I disagree.
I think a scuffle every now and again is fun. When it gets personal, I break it off and ask do they want to play a game or something. If they kep jeering, I leave. That simple.

Though debates are better. Everything has to be on a mature level or else its not a debate.

I like to think that it leaves the impression that "I'm not here to entertain you."

You cannot win if you let someone control how you feel when that's exactly what they want. Shut them down, kill their buzz and move on. If that's not something you can do, then I guess we're on different wavelengths.

Half the people I've debated/argued with weren't mature about it. But, neither was I..

THIS THREAD IS TURNING INTO A HUGE ARGUMENT AND I DON'T LIKE IT

@Shiro
I said in the OP that if you think this thread is stupid, please keep it to yourself.
I was curious about a psychological side to the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back