• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

A Year in Acryland

UnderWish

Bells
Lobo
Jack
Green Candy
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mint
Purple Candy
Blue Candy
So I decided to start a new town after selling my old one (sold for 116 million bells, receiving it in 100 payments)

I doubt anyone will read or follow this, but y'know whatever. I'm mostly making this for myself!

I'm starting this town on January 1st 2017 by setting the clock back, and I'm going to play it daily for a year.
So by Halloween next year, I'm going to stop progress on Acryland.

The Rules I'm going to set for myself are:

- No trading with other players
- No Scanning in Amiibo Villagers to live in the town (I CAN scan in RVs and villagers to get the items/MEOW coupons)
- If a villager wants to move out, I have to let them unless they change their mind. (I.E. I'm talking to them and they give me the option again.)
- No Time Traveling

An exception to the trading rule:
I will be trading fossils and paintings with other people if they have extras or want to help me out.
However, I'll be doing 1:1 trading and will not accept gifts, even if someone has something I need I won't be taking it unless I'm offering an item in return.

If I mention the 'daily routine' that includes:

-Doing the Initiatives for the day
-Tending to the garden
-Digging up Fossils
-Finding the money rock and the fake rock
-Scanning in an amiibo for the 5 MEOW coupons
-Shaking all the trees in town
-Speaking with villagers (will note anything important, item trades, house visits, etc)
-Donating items to the museum.
-Trip to the island (if deemed necessary)
-Visit the campground

--

I'll be updating this daily with what I've done for the day and how far I've gotten each day.
This will be a quest to get as close to 100% completion for AC:NL in one year of daily playing.

I'll also be adding a sort of 'Lore' or 'Canon' to the town as I go along, just to make things a bit more interesting.

DAY 1:

After selling my old town, I received an appraisal of 116 Million IGB from Tom Nook, and was visited by Resetti after selling the town to him. 1.6 million bells were added to my ABD for the first day I arrived.

Upon entering the train I ran into Rover, who asked for my name and the town I was going to. In fear of Isabelle remembering me, I changed my name to 'Final' rather than 'Wish' who ran my previous town.

When the train arrived in Acryland, I was greeted by Flurry, Rod, Puck, and Isabelle, who mistook me for the mayor of this new town.

I tried taking a few detours to speak with the villagers and collect some items before going to the town hall, but Isabelle was very adamant about going there before doing anything else. I did pick up a few roses, though.

Bless her heart, Isabelle forgot my name and dragged me all the way to the town hall just to forget that I didn't have a home in town yet, so I ran to Nook's Homes to get a spot for my new home, which I placed at the river near the Town Hall, Campground, and Re-Tail.

I can already tell I'm going to like this place.

Isabelle gave me my TPC after returning to the town hall, and now I'm officially the Mayor of Acryland.

At the ceremony to make me the mayor, I met Tiffany and Rolf, two other villagers living in the town when I first arrived.

The first thing I did after that talk to Isabelle, who gave me a Zodiac Rooster to celebrate the New Year, and go pick a few roses that were lying around town, I plan to make a garden of them later to grow some hybrid flowers.

Afterwards, I went to the ABD and withdrew 30,000 bells from my bank, then went to the Nooklings and purchased
a Lazy-Susan Table to make my tent a bit more home-y, a Lovely Dresser to gift to one of my villagers, some wrapping paper, along with some notebook paper and my first tools, a Net and a Shovel!

My fortune for the day was:
"She who forgoes a hat and grabs a helmet knows not the sting of lava."
Which gave me the Samus mask.

When my shopping at the Nooklings was done, I went to the Able Sisters, and spoke to Mabel, Sable and Labelle.
Sable and Labelle seem a bit closed off, but I'm going to keep visiting them. Maybe buying some things will get me on their good side. Today I purchased a Raglan shirt and some polka-dot shorts from Mabel and Sable, as well as a ribbon umbrella and red-zap helmet from Labelle.

After that was all finished, I paid off my tent and went to decorate my tent. Isabelle was nice enough to give me a lantern, which I'll be using tonight.

I displayed the rooster, the samus mask, the shirt I came to Acryland in, the lantern, and the table I bought in my tent. It's a little cramped, but I'll live. Until I get my house, at least.

A visit to Re-Tail seemed in order, and I sold off the Zap Helmet, as I really didn't want it for the moment. Timmy and Reece were in the middle of a trade when I entered the shop- I really hope I didn't disturb their trading.

I ended up buying the common bed and the office locker from re-tail, so I could store some items later and so that I wouldn't be sleeping on the ground in my tent.

To end off the day, I did the daily routine then went to sleep.

Here's to a good day tomorrow.

Profit of the Daily Routine:
8,100 bells (money rock)
1x Perfect Apple (Planted next to my house)
Amethyst
300 bells (shaking trees, stopped after bees)
500 Bells (selling beehive at re-tail)
x4 MEOW Coupons

Villager Notes:
Rolf changed his outfit, gave me a black track jacket, which I've decided to wear.
I sent out letters to Tiffany, Flurry, Rod, and Rolf.
I decided to hold off on sending out the Lovely Dresser today. I'll gift it to one of my villagers later.
Flurry gave me a red down jacket for getting her an apple, and I was unable to complete a fishing request for Puck, since I don't have the fishing rod yet. I decided to stay wearing my Black Track Jacket
I delivered a package to Rolf for Rod.
Rolf was asleep in his house when I went to visit, but thanked me for waking him up, and he sold me his present for 316 bells.
I decided to hold off on opening it until tomorrow. It'll be a surprise.
Talked to Joan and bought 10 Turnips to be able to catch ants and a fly next week.

Donated to the Museum:
-Bee
-Mole Cricket
-Pill Bug
-Iguanodon Tail
-Plesio Neck
-Ichthyo Torso
-Megacero Tail

I'd like to see how this plays out for you :)

I've been toying with a similar idea, except starting from scratch. I want to see what happens if I try to do a more "game-controlled" style of play. I'm too addicted to laying paths, scanning in and out villagers, (or making sure none of the villagers leave) and plot resetting in my other towns.

I'd like to see how this plays out for you :)

I've been toying with a similar idea, except starting from scratch. I want to see what happens if I try to do a more "game-controlled" style of play. I'm too addicted to laying paths, scanning in and out villagers, (or making sure none of the villagers leave) and plot resetting in my other towns.

Thanks so much for the support~
In the end the core idea is completely different, since you're planning on controlling everything and im planning on controlling nothing xD im not going to lay down paths or anything, just going to let the town fall into place~
good luck, and i'd be interested in seeing updates from you, too if you start on this!

I'm also excited to see how it'll go for you! I hope you plan to share screenshots a few months in?
Maybe I'll take up the one year challenge myself some day, but on a second copy if I get my hands on one.

oh wow, I'm going to do the same thing that you're doing! only, I'm going to do it on the actual January 1st of 2018, and I can't trade fossils or art with other people at all. I've been time traveling, online trading, and laying down paths so that the villagers fit in clean rows. It's been draining me of the passion I once had when I first got the game.

The only thing is, I'm going to block off my non-native fruit trees because without trading, these fruits are going to be super rare. It wouldn't go well if a house decided to crush my only apple tree (assuming it was non-native). I've never really thought of creating some type of lore or headcanons but now I'm inspired to. Also, the little things that you've accomplished, earned, and little notes you've added is such a great idea!

Sorry, do you mind if I take some of your ideas? I don't want to seem presumptuous in case this plan was only for you. also, it's been a while since I last posted in a casual discussion so this post may seem a little more enthusiastic (ugh, big words). Oh well, time to duck back into the shadows again...

(I have been updating the villager popularity list and found that Merengue is getting pretty popular)

Thanks so much for the support~
In the end the core idea is completely different, since you're planning on controlling everything and im planning on controlling nothing xD im not going to lay down paths or anything, just going to let the town fall into place~
good luck, and i'd be interested in seeing updates from you, too if you start on this!

I may have been a bit unclear in my phrasing. I want this town to be uncontrolled, as I've been too controlling of my other towns so far. :)

I'm hoping to start today, 31 October, 2017 using only the first maps I'm offered by Rover, being open-minded about the villagers themselves and their house placements, no laying of tiles where I don't want them moving or plot setting, letting them move out, themeless town, and no trading (since I have the capability to do that myself without using the boards, it's going to be a bit of a challenge not to rely on borrowing from my more established towns).

I've got a name for my town and my mayor picked, just need to load it all up later today when I've got time. But yes, I am inspired to see how your town comes along and I'm glad you posted about it because I think it will encourage people to try similar things.

Best of luck to you, I can tell you're motivated! I think the rules you've set for yourself are admirable and that you'll create a town you can be proud of. Personally, I sometimes wish I'd done less trading and never time-travelled in my own town.
It might be difficult, but it will be so rewarding to build your town from the ground up yourself. I like that you've documented all the details too.
I wish you luck in your endeavours :)

Best of luck to you, I can tell you're motivated! I think the rules you've set for yourself are admirable and that you'll create a town you can be proud of. Personally, I sometimes wish I'd done less trading and never time-travelled in my own town.
It might be difficult, but it will be so rewarding to build your town from the ground up yourself. I like that you've documented all the details too.
I wish you luck in your endeavours :)

I may have been a bit unclear in my phrasing. I want this town to be uncontrolled, as I've been too controlling of my other towns so far. :)

I'm hoping to start today, 31 October, 2017 using only the first maps I'm offered by Rover, being open-minded about the villagers themselves and their house placements, no laying of tiles where I don't want them moving or plot setting, letting them move out, themeless town, and no trading (since I have the capability to do that myself without using the boards, it's going to be a bit of a challenge not to rely on borrowing from my more established towns).

I've got a name for my town and my mayor picked, just need to load it all up later today when I've got time. But yes, I am inspired to see how your town comes along and I'm glad you posted about it because I think it will encourage people to try similar things.

oh wow, I'm going to do the same thing that you're doing! only, I'm going to do it on the actual January 1st of 2018, and I can't trade fossils or art with other people at all. I've been time traveling, online trading, and laying down paths so that the villagers fit in clean rows. It's been draining me of the passion I once had when I first got the game.

The only thing is, I'm going to block off my non-native fruit trees because without trading, these fruits are going to be super rare. It wouldn't go well if a house decided to crush my only apple tree (assuming it was non-native). I've never really thought of creating some type of lore or headcanons but now I'm inspired to. Also, the little things that you've accomplished, earned, and little notes you've added is such a great idea!

Sorry, do you mind if I take some of your ideas? I don't want to seem presumptuous in case this plan was only for you. also, it's been a while since I last posted in a casual discussion so this post may seem a little more enthusiastic (ugh, big words). Oh well, time to duck back into the shadows again...

(I have been updating the villager popularity list and found that Merengue is getting pretty popular)

I'm also excited to see how it'll go for you! I hope you plan to share screenshots a few months in?
Maybe I'll take up the one year challenge myself some day, but on a second copy if I get my hands on one.

Thank you all for your support! Super happy that people are interested.
Anyone can take up this challenge, in fact, if anyone wants to do it with me I'd be happy to do art/fossil trades later on.
Feel free to use my exact rules or take some from me if you'd like, I honestly don't mind. I took a lot of things from Chuggaconroy's lets play of Palette (Even using Acrylic paint as the basis for the town name in reference to Palette!)

Currently playing/updating for Day 2, look forward to it!

I just completed the Halloween festivities in my brand new town of Fairdell. Halloween takes on a whole new level of fun when you realize you have no furniture except what you can win during the event, and that you have no reliable source of income to upgrade your house, etc. except what you can win during the event. Lost my only pair of shoes, though, haha. Guess I'll be wearing slippers until Kicks sets up shop :p

Looking forward to your next installment.

DAY 2:

When coming out of my newly-built house, I checked my mail to find a few letters from the post office and some villagers who wrote me back!

Tiffany's birthday is on 1/9. I'll have to make sure to get her a present.
All of the villagers I wrote to wrote me back, they all seem super nice, I'll make sure to talk to the ones I didn't write a letter to yesterday.

Isabelle brought me a wallpaper after I entered my house. That has to be the cutest thing I've seen all day.

Now it's time to open the present I got from Rolf! He sold me a Misty Tee. I think I'll wear that today.

I went to the town hall immediately, to speak to Isabelle and get some advice, she requested a sea shell so I think I'll get that for her during the daily routine.

Someone new is moving into town! Patty. I look forward to meeting her tomorrow.
Hopefully she isn't too weird.

Daily Routine results:

Got Wisp!

Donations:
Yellow Perch
Pop-eyed Goldfish
Bitterling
Pond Smelt
Red Snapper
Horse Mackerel
Wharf Roach
Sea Bass
Olive Flounder
Sea Butterfly
Diplo Neck
Dimetrodon Torso
Stego Torso
Crucian Carp
Black Bass
Barbel Steed
Bagworm
Carp

Purchases:
Got new house exterior items
Paid off house
Electric Guitar (Gift for Tiffany's birthday on 1/9)
Dartboard
Rubber Apron
Deep-blue Tee
Green Warmups
Beret

Daily Fortune:
"Value the friends you have, for one day you may need them."
Pikmin

Garden Status:
Perfect Apple tree grew a bit.
No new flowers.
Planted Orange trees by Re-Tail

Villager Interactions:
Rolf invited me over. Bought a Hospital TV from him for 1000 bells.
Flurry wanted to visit at Noon, then cancelled.
Puck asked for a new greeting
Flurry Gave me a Red-zap suit
Caught a River Fish for Tiffany (Received rainbow tee)
Refused to get Puck a bagworm (needed for the museum )
Gave Puck my Instruction Manual (Received Mountain Standee)
Delivered something to Puck from Rolf (Received radiator)
Gave Flurry an orange (got a bathroom sink)
Rolf gave me a drinking fountain

Mayor Status:
-Need a new Town Flag/Town Tune (Feel free to suggest!)
-Got a basket of Oranges from Isabelle for giving her a seashell.
-Bought a fishing rod from Isabelle
-Got Watering Can from Isabelle
-Approval Rating: 54%

Badges:
-Avid Bell Saver

--
Today I visited Marc in the town of Tea Time and played a game. He gave me some prizes for it, which I will be giving them away to the first few people who ask (1 per person please), since I'm unable to use them myself.
The Prizes were:

Blue Rose x2 (counts as one)
Donut Box
Villager Statue
Gamecube Drawer

Day 2 Extras:

I went out later that night (9 PM) and went to catch some fish and bugs that only came out at night and to maybe have a better chance at getting some other all day bugs/fish I needed.

Villager Pings:
Tiffany - Illusion Floor

Donations:
Dace
Freshwater Goby
Apato Skull
Football Fish
Dab
Blowfish
Goldfish
Squid

I was up all damn night trying to catch a Tuna, Stringfish and Oarfish but had no luck. Hopefully I can catch one tomorrow. For now, I'm going to bed.

DAY 3:

Isabelle introduced me to Mr. Tortimer, the old mayor, who invited me to the Island. Starting tomorrow I'll be able to catch exotic fish and bugs.

Patty moved in today- she seems pretty nice.

Nook introduced me to Lyle.

Got my fortune told by Katrina, but I didn't have the Airy tee needed to improve my luck

I popped a balloon with my shovel by the cliffs and got my first Balloon item- the Balloon dog lamp! I don't like the balloon set too much but I'm going to display this in my house c:

Daily Routine:

Donations:
Plesio Torso
Tricera Skull
Ptera Right Wing
Pale Chub
Dynamic Painting!

Extra Fossils:
Plesio Neck

Purchases:
Pink Mailbox
Fushia Roof
White Brick Exterior
Round Glasses
King's Beard
Earthy Knit Shirt
Gold Armour Suit
Electric Guitar

Daily Fortune:
She who forgoes a hat and grabs a helmet knows not the sting of lava.
Samus Mask

Garden Status:
Trees grew by 1 stage
Purple Roses x2
Accidental Orange Cosmos x1

Villager Interactions:
Delivered a present to Rod from Tiffany (Got Periwinkle tee)
Rolf sent me a letter
Rolf gave me a nickname
Puck was going to visit at 1 PM, but forgot. (Why does this keep happening)
Caught a horse mackerel for Rolf (got Pink PJ shirt)
Rolf and Tiffany had a conversation
Bought a dynamic painting from Rolf, and it turned out to be real! That's my first piece of art for the museum!

Mayor Status:
Approval Rating: 100% !
I'll be able to start on Public Works Projects soon!

The reason villagers "forget" visits is most likely that either your town's gates are open (they won't visit if so) or you're not inside your house at the given time. If they're lazy, they'll always come 3 minutes later than the appointed time, others will come at the right time but at the last second of the given minute (so if 10:30 am is the time you set, they'll come at 10:30:59). If you leave before that and confront them, the game creates this "I forgot" excuse.
At least that's my experience. :)

The reason villagers "forget" visits is most likely that either your town's gates are open (they won't visit if so) or you're not inside your house at the given time. If they're lazy, they'll always come 3 minutes later than the appointed time, others will come at the right time but at the last second of the given minute (so if 10:30 am is the time you set, they'll come at 10:30:59). If you leave before that and confront them, the game creates this "I forgot" excuse.
At least that's my experience. :)

Aaa thanks so much. My gates must have been open the first time and the second time it was a Lazy villager and since I was used to them being there within the minute I went outside and found him.

Day 3 Part 2:

Snowmam:
Ice Wall

Donations:
Oar Fish (Literally screamed when I finally caught this)
Tuna (Screamed again)
Centipede
Koi
Dung Beetle

I did some research on the bugs and fish I need to catch, and how long I'll have to catch them.

Bugs still needed for this month:
Ant (Have all year to catch)
Fly (Have all year to catch)

Fish needed for this month:
Bluegill (have all year to catch)
Coelacanth (Have all year to catch)
String Fish (Have until Feb 28th to catch)

Diving animals I have to catch this month:

Spiny Lobster

Villager Interactions:
Went to Rolf's house, bought weight bench
Changed Rolf's catchphrase
Sold Rod a Sea Bass
Gave Flurry a Sea Bass (WHy does everyone want my Sea Bass?) (got big dot tank)
Gave Puck a fruit (Got Kitschy Tile)

Last edited:
This seems really interesting so far! I really love it when people do town diaries, I like seeing them documenting how everything comes together so in the end, you can look back on it and see how it developed from nothing to something c:

Day 4:

Bellxis and Awesomebrendan visited me last night to pick up the donut box and villager statue.

Now that I'm able to start on Public Works Projects, I've decided to build a new bridge by the ocean so I can catch ocean fish easier. Tomorrow I'll be putting another bridge by my house.

To start up the day I talked to Patty a bit. She seems way too cheerful, I wonder if she has some tragic backstory she's covering up. (Maybe she escaped from a McDonalds.)

There's a new villager moving in. She plotted her house in a bad spot, away from everyone else, maybe she just doesn't like people. I'm still going to greet her tomorrow when she moves in.

..Mom sent me a lab chair..?

Got a Record Player and a Lawn Chair from shaking trees.

Fortune:
He who believes he has a pure heart is probably just a beast in denial.
Triforce

Morning Routine:

Snowmam:
Ice Floor

Donations:
Spino Skull
T. Rex Skull
Spino Torso
Pachy Tail

Villager Interactions:
Caught Bagworm for Flurry (Got dogtooth shirt)
Bought Ranch Chair while visiting Rod at 2:00 PM
Delivered something to Rod from Puck (Got strawberry tank)
Got an Apple for Tiffany (Got lovely dresser)

Purchases:
Chocolate Fountain
Yellow Bar Tee
Comfy Sweater
Pilot's Hat

Slow day today, but I was pretty busy Irl, I'll do some more tomorrow.

DAY 5:

I wasn't able to play much today due to getting sick, but I did do my daily routine.

Renee moved into town, so I greeted her.

Purchases:
Paid off house
Lucky Frog
Claw Foot Tub
Black Flannel Shirt
Fairytale Dress
Nebula Tee

Daily Fortune:
#31 Sometimes that which protects you must also fight for you as well
Triple Red Shells

Donations:
Dimetrodon Skull