• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why is it so difficult to let villagers go?

Imbri

Resident Night Mare
Bells
Switch
1856-7828-8669
Island
Deilf Isle
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Strawberry Doll
Tortimer
Shadow Kitty Plush
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rose Crystal
Lily of the Valley
Pavé Pink Feather
I've been waffling for some time now about letting Hazel go. I've come to like her, but I'm still disappointed over the name change (thought I was getting an old fave from ACGC days), and I have all the uchi PWP suggestions. I'd rather have the space for villagers/types I really like, you know?

But when she'd talk about moving, I'd squash it. Same goes for Bonbon. It isn't that I don't like Bonbon, but she isn't really a favorite (could be the peppy personality; I felt the same about Peggy before her). Still, I kept talking her out of moving, too.

Until today. Bonbon ran up to me, saying that she was considering moving on to bigger and brighter stages (or something like that). I kept the conversation open for a few minutes to think about it, then said good-bye. She'll be gone on the 11th.

I know it's just a game, they're aren't real, it's programmed conversation. But we invest a lot of time and energy into our towns, and hey, if I can have crushes on book characters and no one thinks that's weird (well, some might, but you know what I mean), I can become attached to these silly animals, right?

Omg Hazel is one of my top favorites. I'd never let her go, but I specifically sought her out. haha I love her unibrow it's so cute.

I'm the same. Pango was one of my originals and my first BFF in the game and when she asked to move I said okay, and then regretted it ever since, so I bought her amiibo card and she moved back in yesterday. lmao I'm so happy.

I don't get attached to all of them, but yet. Certain ones, for sure.

I get like this, too! A random villager moves in and I'm a little sceptical of them at first, but when they actually ask to move I've already become attached to them and always refuse!

This is like me too, every time a villager pings me the first thought I have is, you're not leaving.

I know they're not real, but they really feel like my only friends and I'm so attached to them.

I'm insanely attached to my villagers! It fills me with a sort of panic at the thought of one of my babies accidentally moving out.

Yeah I feel the same way. I had Genji in my town for a really long time and when I decided that he didn't really fit my town nor did I like where his house was. I debated back and forth for the longest time cause I felt really bad letting him leave :c But yeah, you do certainly get attached

I do the same! Even when I actually want them out to make room for a new character I still am hesitant. Erik left my town a few days ago and I loooved him. I was going back and forth on whether I wanted him out or not, eventually letting him move to make way for a dreamie but man that was so tough!

The sad part is I didn't get to say goodbye to him with my mayor..he moved out before I had a chance to. He still sent me a letter though, which I saved <3 ;-;

I agree! I get so attached to characters when it comes to games. I wish I didn't haha, Animal Crossing is especially hard for me because it's is so addicting and the animals and villagers are so cute! <3

It's frustrating. I want to move more people in but I can't let go of anyone. I wish we could save data on amiibo cards and move villagers back in whenever we want with that data.. I don't like the idea of them not remembering you + going back to original state

Isn't this the whole point of the game? You immerse yourself in the world and live the life of your character making friends with these anthropomorphic animals by doing whatever they ask you to basically. Then they start giving you free stuff so it does balance out. That was a digression. The longer they stay, the more familiar they become. It's even more noticeable when someone moves in that you are sceptical of and after sticking around for a while and interacting they become part of everything and they try and leave and you're so conflicted. They've had an impact. It's a strange phenomenon - getting so invested in these things - but it must be human nature in some way. I like it. Big fan.

Definitely agree. Something always feels wrong about letting villagers go, even if keeping them there is blocking you from your dreamies.

For me, I'm always conflicted because I both want to keep my longterm villagers but I also really like having new blood in town. I still play and progress in my village so it hasn't quite reached a perfect dream town, and as long as I'm still constantly messing around in it, I don't want to have permanent dreamies... But I still don't want to let any of my villagers go!

You're not alone (RIP stitches, wolfgang, roscoe, kabuki, eunice, winnie, savannah, I could go on.)

It's because you see them everyday, interact with them, do their requests, so even though those villagers are not your dreamies, you still build connections with them, you bond with them, and eventually like them for who they are even though some might be kinda annoying...

I am pretty loyal to my original villagers in my game. (Lucky that most of them were really good IMO). Just today I let Alfonso leave. He was one of my favorites since day 1 but I felt it was time for him to see the world and move on from Vista. So I gave him to a friend.

Eunice was my other original I let leave, in less happy circumstances. She screwed me out of the beautiful topiary PWPs by suggesting I leave some weeds in town for weeding day. When I found out I needed a perfect town on weeding day for the PWPs I wanted...hell hath no fury like a mayor scorned. All of that was unleashed on poor Eunice, but I moved her out to a nice town too.

I know these are just piles of pixels with pre programmed personalities and whatnot but still...it's hard not growing attached to your squad, and feeling real powerful emotion over them. <3

For me, even if I dont necessarily like them that much, I always end up keeping them because I think about the pain of getting another villager to plot in that same spot :'D my first town is complete and completely natural, so no patterns at all. I've always thought of changing up my villagers but there's no way I'd get them into the same spot unless I put a bunch of flowers into storage and lay out patterns everywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah i have 10 villagers right now and i love them all to bits ;v; even though i have 3 peppies and 3 normals, i never want to get rid of one of them for a personality i don't have.
Even Vesta, who decided to move in directly in front of town hall (?―?٥) but she was one of my very first villagers way back in my old gcn town, and im never letting her leave.
It's ridiculous, but i actually have nightmares about my villagers leaving lmao

I do the same! Even when I actually want them out to make room for a new character I still am hesitant. Erik left my town a few days ago and I loooved him. I was going back and forth on whether I wanted him out or not, eventually letting him move to make way for a dreamie but man that was so tough!

The sad part is I didn't get to say goodbye to him with my mayor..he moved out before I had a chance to. He still sent me a letter though, which I saved <3 ;-;
Awww if you ever want to come visit him that's fine. :) I'm keeping him exactly the way you left him. His outfit is so cute it's clear he was loved. ^^

I have no idea why it's so hard! Right now, in Astoria, everyone has been there for quite awhile. They are my permanent residents. As I have all their amiibo cards (except Ribbot :c) , I guess I really can keep them forever. I picked them each by personality, made sure everyone was a different animal, and also placed their houses as best I could. They're all so cute, I could never part with them! They do feel like little friends that are always happy to see me!

Last edited:
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I'm feeling better about letting Bonbon go, and am looking forward to having Epona move in. I've started scanning her RV so I can get the items before I have her join the town.

I'll see how things go before I make a final decision about Hazel.

Back