• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Thoughts on discussing sensitive topics on TBT

Again, I wish that the acceptance of marginalized people DIDN'T HAVE TO BE CONTROVERSIAL. I want everyone to accept them, no matter what.

haha yeah i wish that too. but racism is oppression of a marginalized group so on the flip side there are people who also benefit from racism, so those people who benefit, want to stay on their superior high horse. they are the reason why topics such as "should _____ have just as much rights as a ____?" are made controversial, they want to politicize integrity, and basic human rights.

your right, there shouldn't even need to be a debate on whether every minority should have equal human rights. but people are raised and grown up to partake in the messed up system that has been set up to hold up one race/sexuality/gender high and put the others down low.

so if there are people out there who REALLY want there to be no racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia, then they have to push for anti-racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia.

- - - Post Merge - - -

but i reeeally don't find BTF, an animal crossing forum, an appropriate place to talk about things like politics or war considering the majority of the userbase is 12-16 lol. like.. good on any older folks who want to bring them up seriously here, and are capable of carrying a debate here, but it would still be more mature to talk about it on on a more formal and appropriate website, or within a personal conversation. and us on the older side should still choose to set a good example for the younger users and be positive when it comes to diversity, sexuality, seeking help for mental issues, etc.

i personally don't think little kids such are going to be scarred from reading conversations talking about whether racism or sexism should be bad. (example. if its a little black kid coming on here to see people talk about how what black people go through and how they need human rights, chances are the kid already been through it them self and know what the people are talking about. they either have the option to click out the forum or continue reading.) plus its not like bad words and disturbing things are being exchanged.

kids see stuff like this whether its on here or if its on their news channel. or article online, or overhear their parents/relatives/friends talk about it. sometimes they can be smarter and mature than a lot of people give them credit for. unless someone goes to great measures to blind them from what goes on in the world, they are going to hear about this stuff regardless.

by the age of 3 a child already has awareness of racism and gender roles/ behaviors and such. they see it within their own environment or are taught it by the behaviors of people around them.

and if they really were that innocent and completely unaware and ignorant of things chances are they wouldn't even bother to click on that one "donald trump/blm/lgbt forum" out of the many safe topics like "what did you eat for breakfast yesterday?" on brewster. they would rather click on that forum talking about spiderman homecoming and wether they saw it or not.

Back