• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My trainer got my tips :(

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
Is this normal for servers? I was doing a reverse shadow (I was doing all the work, with my trainer just following to make sure I was doing everything right). But she got ALL the tips I earned? I didn't even get a portion.. Is that how it's usually done?

No, that doesnt sound right from what I've heard. At least not around where I live.

Last edited:
That's not how it's done in any restaurant I've worked at. The only time I've taken full tips when I've trained someone is when he just shadowed me and didn't actually do anything. Unless it was clearly stated to she would get all the tips I would think you'd get at least a portion.

That's not how it's done in any restaurant I've worked at. The only time I've taken full tips when I've trained someone is when he just shadowed me and didn't actually do anything. Unless it was clearly stated to she would get all the tips I would think you'd get at least a portion.

No one told me anything, and she didn't explain it either. She just took the tips after the cashout. I thought it would be bad form to ask, so I just let it go. But I found it very odd >.< I've never worked at a restaurant that didn't just have a tip pool so I'm very uninformed on what is normal for servers that keep their own tips. So... yeah.. I guess the consensus is that this isn't normal. :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

No, that doesnt sound right from what I've heard. At least not around where I live.

How is it normally done where you're from?

When does your training end? To avoid hostility I'd wait for it to end and then take all the tips you want, but if you're gonna have a trainer for a long time you'll have to ask about it.

When does your training end? To avoid hostility I'd wait for it to end and then take all the tips you want, but if you're gonna have a trainer for a long time you'll have to ask about it.

Tomorrow should be my last day if my trainer signs off on me. I think it's unfair but I'm just going to suck it up for now.

I would say that's not normal. If you're doing the work you get the tips. Heckin', I work at a bank where my account openings matter but I give the credit to the teller I'm training if the credit is due. If you did the work you should get the pay. I would talk to your supervisor about this (or someone superior to the person training you)

I would say that's not normal. If you're doing the work you get the tips. Heckin', I work at a bank where my account openings matter but I give the credit to the teller I'm training if the credit is due. If you did the work you should get the pay. I would talk to your supervisor about this (or someone superior to the person training you)

I don't want to start any drama though :( If that's how they do it, I'm sure everyone went through it. So it's just my turn... All I know is if I ever train someone, they will get their fair share from me.

I think in some restaurants, it is the certified server's choice whether to share the tips or not with the person s/he is training. The more generous people will understand that you did all or most of the work and give you at least some of the tips, while others may not share because they figure it is a out of their way to train someone. I've only worked at one restaurant, so I don't know. The head server would keep the whole tip for herself after shadowing the trainee, but when another server had to train someone, he was considerate and let the person doing the actual waiting take the tips.

Edit: What I mean by 'out of their way' is if they don't get their own tables yet have to show up at work for only some cents per hour, it would be a bit of a sacrifice to them to spend that gas money on watching other people make money. I think that might be why some people reserve those tips for themselves. I really do not know.

Last edited:
I don't want to start any drama though :( If that's how they do it, I'm sure everyone went through it. So it's just my turn... All I know is if I ever train someone, they will get their fair share from me.

I hate to say this because it's not fair to you and I think you should end the cycle. But that's just my opinion.

I think in some restaurants, it is the certified server's choice whether to share the tips or not with the person s/he is training. The more generous people will understand that you did all or most of the work and give you at least some of the tips, while others may not share because they figure it is a out of their way to train someone. I've only worked at one restaurant, so I don't know. The head server would keep the whole tip for herself after shadowing the trainee, but when another server had to train someone, he was considerate and let the person doing the actual waiting take the tips.

Edit: What I mean by 'out of their way' is if they don't get their own tables yet have to show up at work for only some cents per hour, it would be a bit of a sacrifice to them to spend that gas money on watching other people make money. I think that might be why some people reserve those tips for themselves. I really do not know.

I totally get that it's not fair to them to miss out on their own tips so it's understandable for them to get a portion. But to leave me none is kind of greedy. Lol. But I totally see what you're saying. It does seem like it might be just up to the server vs actual company policy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I hate to say this because it's not fair to you and I think you should end the cycle. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah. I totally would say something if I knew it would make a difference and wouldn't jeopardize my job. But I don't think people at work want the new person to be messing with how things are. I feel like I'll end up alienating myself and making people hate me. I'll just prefer to actually be fair about it when it's my turn to train.

I totally get that it's not fair to them to miss out on their own tips so it's understandable for them to get a portion. But to leave me none is kind of greedy. Lol. But I totally see what you're saying. It does seem like it might be just up to the server vs actual company policy.

Yeah, I agree. It is pretty greedy.
I feel like that can be read more bitter than I actually meant for it to.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah. I totally would say something if I knew it would make a difference and wouldn't jeopardize my job. But I don't think people at work want the new person to be messing with how things are. I feel like I'll end up alienating myself and making people hate me. I'll just prefer to actually be fair about it when it's my turn to train.

At the end of the day it's your call. I think it's good to stand your ground when you think you need to and concede when you can't. I believe you'll make the best choice possible for you. Always know there are options and feel free to ask if you're unsure of the path to take. I believe in you.

At the end of the day it's your call. I think it's good to stand your ground when you think you need to and concede when you can't. I believe you'll make the best choice possible for you. Always know there are options and feel free to ask if you're unsure of the path to take. I believe in you.

Thank you, Soda :')

Back