• The closing ceremony for our Lunar New Year event has been posted! View the winning entries in the thread here. Thanks for joining us for this new TBT event. Be on the lookout for our next brand-new event, which will bid farewell to Animal Crossing: New Leaf online, coming soon!

What's the most irritating aspect of your OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikoKing

Da Biggest Bears Fan!
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Posts
6,756
Bells
1,078
Dragon Tokens
0
Avatar Height Extension
Avatar Width Extension
suggested by good ol' psycho.

So is there anything that irritates you that's in your OS/computer?
 
I use a Mac, and the only thing that really annoys me is poor Flash support (though it is much better in Snow Leopard now). Then again, Flash is bad on Windows too.

As for OS specific things... I don't think there is anything about my Mac I actually dislike all that much. Maybe the hassle you have to go through to create a password-protected folder compared the simple way of doing it on a Windows machine.
 
On the Ubuntu side, closed source support is lacking. Like wise, there's little open source support for windows.
 
I think it's just something with my laptop, but my fan/cooling mechanism seems to turn on way too quickly and gets really loud.
 
-Jack- said:
I think it's just something with my laptop, but my fan/cooling mechanism seems to turn on way too quickly and gets really loud.
That's got nothing to do with your OS.
 
i hate how ass-backwards vista is.

i know how to use it now, but i feel stupid for knowing. since xp was so cut and dry/known, compared to this.. but i guess it's new.

except now it's outdated.

:'(
 
Jas0n said:
I use a Mac, and the only thing that really annoys me is poor Flash support (though it is much better in Snow Leopard now). Then again, Flash is bad on Windows too.
Flash is bad, period. XD
 
Tyeforce said:
Jas0n said:
I use a Mac, and the only thing that really annoys me is poor Flash support (though it is much better in Snow Leopard now). Then again, Flash is bad on Windows too.
Flash is bad, period. XD
How? There's no alternative, and things like youtube and flash games work fine.
 
Pear said:
Tyeforce said:
Jas0n said:
I use a Mac, and the only thing that really annoys me is poor Flash support (though it is much better in Snow Leopard now). Then again, Flash is bad on Windows too.
Flash is bad, period. XD
How? There's no alternative, and things like youtube and flash games work fine.
It's generally bad, uses way too many resources. Yes it works, but it definitely doesn't work well.

The alternative is HTML5 which is slowly making its way into the world, but it's still got a long way to go.
 
Jas0n said:
Pear said:
Tyeforce said:
Jas0n said:
I use a Mac, and the only thing that really annoys me is poor Flash support (though it is much better in Snow Leopard now). Then again, Flash is bad on Windows too.
Flash is bad, period. XD
How? There's no alternative, and things like youtube and flash games work fine.
It's generally bad, uses way too many resources. Yes it works, but it definitely doesn't work well.

The alternative is HTML5 which is slowly making its way into the world, but it's still got a long way to go.
You mean it uses to much CPU?
On my powerful desktop, I can essentially unlimited flash players open at once, but even on my netbook I can have 3-4.
 
Pear said:
-Jack- said:
I think it's just something with my laptop, but my fan/cooling mechanism seems to turn on way too quickly and gets really loud.
That's got nothing to do with your OS.
90% of forum viewers(or maybe less than that) wont know what their OS is. So we have to automatically suspect a Windows OS.
 
Pear said:
Jas0n said:
Pear said:
Tyeforce said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
How? There's no alternative, and things like youtube and flash games work fine.
It's generally bad, uses way too many resources. Yes it works, but it definitely doesn't work well.

The alternative is HTML5 which is slowly making its way into the world, but it's still got a long way to go.
You mean it uses to much CPU?
On my powerful desktop, I can essentially unlimited flash players open at once, but even on my netbook I can have 3-4.
Yes, but think about how many stupid things use flash. You don't realise until you install a flash blocker how many flash-related things are on a webpage. When I installed my flash blocker I was shocked about how much more quickly I could browse, and how many less crashes I experienced also.

Besides, the amount of flash players you can run doesn't equal how bad it is, there are a ton of problems with it, I'll list a few from the top of my head:

1) Breaks a lot of usability, the general customisation of a webpage is no longer available, such as increasing of font size, highlighting, and even direct links to flash pages.

2) It relies on users of the webpage having Flash installed, along with the right version of Flash. Not to mention support for all the different OS's.

3) Flash, in many cases, kills search engines. Search engines with website previews can't give the previews of Flash websites and not to mention the fact that they can't fetch text and such from them.

4) There are a ton of security issues with it, the amount of viruses that can be spread through Flash is insane.

5) Flash performs terribly on mobile devices, if at all.

All of these are ignoring the performance issues which I mentioned earlier, of course this changes between each flash-related object but in general they use a lot of resources, especially on a Mac.
 
Jas0n said:
Pear said:
Jas0n said:
Pear said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
It's generally bad, uses way too many resources. Yes it works, but it definitely doesn't work well.

The alternative is HTML5 which is slowly making its way into the world, but it's still got a long way to go.
You mean it uses to much CPU?
On my powerful desktop, I can essentially unlimited flash players open at once, but even on my netbook I can have 3-4.
Yes, but think about how many stupid things use flash. You don't realise until you install a flash blocker how many flash-related things are on a webpage. When I installed my flash blocker I was shocked about how much more quickly I could browse, and how many less crashes I experienced also.

Besides, the amount of flash players you can run doesn't equal how bad it is, there are a ton of problems with it, I'll list a few from the top of my head:

1) Breaks a lot of usability, the general customisation of a webpage is no longer available, such as increasing of font size, highlighting, and even direct ]Thanks for clarifying.

@ Zack- OS has absolutely nothing to do with your battery, and besides that Jack's on a Macbook.
 
Pear said:
@ Zack- OS has absolutely nothing to do with your battery, and besides that Jack's on a Macbook.
That isn't what I said. I'm saying Mr. Laptop guy here doesn't know what his OS is, so he just went along about the machine. >.>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top