• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

What games were you not sure of at first but ended up enjoying?

In perspective, Ultra Moon. First time I tried it was pure trash because yeah they pulled some ugly tricks in the OG Sun/Moon games when it comes to levelled Pok?mon from other trainers and in USUM they screwed the difficulty quite a lot so first time I pretty much ragequit at one certain place (not gonna spoil but if you've ever been under-levelled there you know lol).

Got it recently though and since I had Alpha Sapphire, plus the three free HA Alola starters from Pok?Bank it made it hell lotta easier and playable. So yeah now it's fun although the RR castle puzzles were pretty annoying ngl.

Earthbound. I wasn't sure about the Mother series when I first started looking into playing EB three years ago, but I ended up doing it and completely fell in love with it. I played Mother 3 right after, and Mother after that. The series as a whole is beautiful, and it quickly found its way to my #1 video game of all time slot. My name is also Lucas, so Mother 3 was especially emotional. I hope to own a legit cart of the original SNES Earthbound some day, and I'm still hoping for Mother 3 to be localized...

Acnl because i had never played animal crossing before and didn't know if i would like it but it was better than i thought it would be.

I wasn't sure about harvest moon sunshine island on ds because i had never played any harvest moon games before and didn't know if I would like farming simulation but ever sense i have loved the harvest moon series and enjoy playing them

Last edited:
For me it was Phoenix Wright. I didn't think it would be fun to play a game about a lawyer but boy was I wrong. I've played every Phoenix Wright game and I can't get enough. It's now one of my favorite series.

Last edited:
For me it would have to be Stardew Valley. I'm a big Harvest Moon fan and when I heard people saying that they like Stardew Valley better I was very skeptic. I was like no way, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. It definitely does deserve the praise it gets, I also like how it has more mature themes that you would never see in Harvest Moon. I also went into it wanting to marry Elliott but really came to like Sebastian.

stardew valley lol same reason ^

i was actually offended when ppl kept talking about playing it but never wanted to play harvest moon games. and well ,,, i see why now lmao

Splatoon. My brother got hooked onto it way before me and wouldn't shut up about it. One day I was watching him play it and I decided to give it a go. I liked shooter games beforehand, that's for sure, but just wasn't too sure about the setting of the game. But once I gave it a go, I couldn't stop. Now it's probably one of my favourite games ever :p

Actually, for me it was Animal Crossing: New Leaf!! I noticed the series was getting TONS of hype, and thought I'd give it a shot, despite me not knowing what the games were about. Ended up immediately falling in love with it!

ACWW.. I hated it back in the day, then after playing for half an hour, I was hooked.

For me it would have to be Stardew Valley. I'm a big Harvest Moon fan and when I heard people saying that they like Stardew Valley better I was very skeptic. I was like no way, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. It definitely does deserve the praise it gets, I also like how it has more mature themes that you would never see in Harvest Moon. I also went into it wanting to marry Elliott but really came to like Sebastian.

I'm a long-time Harvest Moon fan and you have made me finally consider trying Stardew Valley...

- - - Post Merge - - -

The only thing that really comes to mind are all of the Switch games we own (which is really not many). I only agreed to get a Switch because of the rumors that there would be an AC Switch game. My son and my partner picked out Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Oddessy, and now Mario Kart 8. I've been a huge fan of all of these series, but I was worried that they wouldn't be as good as previous games since I tend to like the retro games the most, most of the more recent Nintendo games have bored me. But I was so wrong. All 3 of them were so charming and had me hooked immediately. I especially didn't see the point in getting yet another Mario Kart since they've pretty much all felt the same in recent years, but the tracks, new characters, and graphics in this game are sooo good. It was definitely worth it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Doki Doki Literature Club

Oh my god was that worth every moment of my time. I almost gave up on it, too. So glad I didn't.

I recommend this game to literally everyone. It's free on steam!!

I want to play this so badly, but I don't have a computer. It's a shame that they took it off market for phones... I've tried watching it on youtube, but that experience is just awful, I couldn't bear another minute of it. If anybody knows of any way to get this to play on an Android phone, please PM me!

i was really iffy on persona at first because i had bad experiences with its fans but... look at me lmao

i also didn't think i was gonna be into hotline miami all that much but i really like it!

Terraria. When I was younger I was a Minecraft fan and I knew nothing about Terraria, so I always put it off as a Minecraft ripoff ugh.. but my friend gifted me a copy for my birthday last year and I loooove it. It's one of my favorite games, and honestly I hate Minecraft now compared to it lmao

Last edited:
I hate shooters with a passion and I suck at them too. When Splatoon was announced I thought it was was a neat idea but I figured I wouldn’t like it since it’s a shooter. I was dead wrong. Gave the free test fire a try and I absolutely loved it. Mind you I still don’t care for the ranked battles but the original turf war mode is my fave anyways. It’s one of my fave games now along with the sequel.

Another game is Fire Emblem. Awakening spefically. I don’t tend to like games that involve characters fighting each other (minus Pok?mon), but I loved the story and characters so much. Plus the battles were very non gory which I appreciate. I’m now a fan of the series and am working on playing some of the older titles soon.

Definitely Bayonetta. I thought the story sounded stupid and weird and all over the place. But I played it for the first time after buying the climax edition for switch from Japan and I looovveee it. While the story definitely is weird and all over the place, it's very enjoyable. Plus, it provides a bit of a challenge which is a nice change from most games these days lol

Animal Crossing, actually. Go figure, lol.

for me it'd have to be Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan. i'm still playing the game, but i was recommended to it at first

i've always been a fan of RPGs and this one seemed a bit different, what with the cartography and all that. but when i started getting into it it turned out to be a lot more fun than i expected! not to mention, the soundtrack is really nice (one of my favorite tracks from most of the Etrian Odyssey games is End of Raging Winds/Waves, each game gets a remix)

i would definitely recommend it though, the series itself doesn't get that much love but for what it's worth, i personally ended up liking it~

Actually, surprisingly, ACNL! I started playing it at like, midnight when all my villagers were asleep and all the stores were closed, so I was kind of bored out of my mind the first time I played it.
I also had a similar issue with Tomodachi Life, although the minimized ways you can interact with your Miis in that game also didn't help.

For me it was Final Fantasy XV. I've never really played a game like it. It took me a few months after receiving it to actually sit down and start playing. It took an hour to get into it and after that I played none stop, laughed and then cried for hours at the end. It's amazing game, the graphics, dialogue, humour, storyline, combat and the overall feel. I was so immersed into it. I was skeptical at first because i'm not a fan of sci fi games, which it looked like at first without playing but it's so good.

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far, it's interesting to read the games that ended up capturing your interests!

Another game that I wasn't very sure of at first was MK8 Deluxe. I thought it was just a crappy, expensive rerelease of Mario Kart 8, but it turned out to be a solid game by itself, and honestly worth the money to me, mostly because of the battle mode, which is way better and significantly expanded upon in the Deluxe game. That being said, I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you a) have a Pro Controller, or b) don't already own MK8.

Back