• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Horror Game You Enjoyed?

Blink.

⭑ ✦ ☕ ✦ ⭑
Bells
Galaxy Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
Golden Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Dreamy Easter Egg
Pastel Disco Ball Easter Egg
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Aurora Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
I've played... a lot of horror games. I'm wondering what anyone would recommend for Steam.

Be it Indie-developed or mainstream, what horror games did you enjoy?
Typically I get into a game and then follow the developer to see if they've made more.
The Mortuary Assistant was great and had ended up checking out their other game Our Secret Below. I haven't tried their other games, but I'll check them out sooner or later.
Chilla's Art games are a joy to go through. On Steam, they have bundles so you can get most if not all their games and they play for 1-3 hours! They're always experimenting on what they want to focus on and I definitely enjoyed The Closing Shift.
Phasmophobia holds a special place in me heart and Lethal Company as well. It's spooky co-op games like those that make me so happy playing with friends.

More games come to mind like the Outlast series (and the comics) and Fatal Frame series that I especially enjoyed.
And in my youth, I don't think anything has scared mew more than Gamecube's 2002 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. That game scared me so much as a kid that I had to drop it for several years until the Wii came out. It was dark and nothing like what I would have expected for a game on the Gamecube.

I'm wondering if there are any horror games that people personally liked due to lore, story, gameplay, game design.

I have a couple of horror game YouTube channels I followed on and off, but I wasn't much of an avid player. I like Chilla's Art games too, but I mostly watch them instead of playing myself.

I liked Until Dawn and I started playing The Quarry. Doki Literature club was a neat one too. Silent Hill 2 was another one I played and finished. (through an unstable cloud service :c). Last of Us has never scared me at all, but the hotel basement segment gave me a nightmare. I guess because I went to bed too soon after playing.

I don’t play much horror games myself (I prefer watching YouTubers play them lol), but I loved the Garfield’s Scary Scavenger Hunt games on the old Garfield website.

Horror games I've played and enjoyed include:

Resident Evil remake
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 2 (both original AND remake)
Resident Evil 3 (only original, haven't gotten a chance to play the remake yet)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6, sort of...I haven't beaten it yet.
Silent Hill 1-3
Outlast
Eternal Darkness, sort of...again, because I never beat it.
Lone Survivor
Dead Space
The Last Door: Seasons 1+2
Silence of the Sleep
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Amensia: A Machine For Pigs
Alan Wake

I was a little hesitant to list some of these as I didn't feel there was enough of a horror element to justify their listing...decided to say "**** it" though and list them anyway lol.

Have you heard of this game called lethal company? I heard it’s a lot of fun with friends!

i've never really played horror games because i have anxiety and don't enjoy being scared. (though if i had friends and a mic, i'd definitely love to play lethal company lol.) that said, i do like watching people play them. favorites are probably until dawn and doki doki literature club. some of the other supermassive games are good too, namely the quarry and house of ashes. the outlast games were fun to watch people play, though i preferred the first one. another one that comes to mind is soma. the story of that is very good even if a little existential.

I can binge all the horror movies alone overnight with no lights on, but I can't for the life of me play horror games with a straight face without company lol

I've enjoyed Until Dawn, and didn't get to finishing the Quarry since I played that alone💀

i feel like most of the games i played are survival horror/coop horror, so the ones i play with friends are:
  • lethal company
  • phasmophobia
  • forewarned (which is sort of like phasmo, but in a pyramid)
  • the highrise (stuck in a highrise building, gotta sneak around and build bases and survive)
  • labyrinthine (try to solve a puzzle in a labyrinth with monsters and stuff hanging around. i just like dropping glowsticks everywhere
for solo games, im more partial to rpgmaker horror games
  • ib
  • witch's house
  • ao oni
  • off
  • the crooked man
  • omori
  • mermaid swamp
im not sure if all of those count as horror, and theres probably a lot of others im forgetting

and as for non-rpgmaker horror games... the only ones that come to mind that i really liked was Little Nightmares 1 (still need to play 2 -- I like the series as a whole though). ddlc was nice, though my mind doesn't really register it as horror

Probably all of the old school Resident Evils. Even Resident Evil 4 was good, even though it was less horror and more cheesy campy action. There are a lot who like Resident Evil 7 and 8, but I just couldn't get into them. It felt like they lost the survival horror appeal. I couldn't take it seriously when (maybe trigger warning?)
Ethan got his arm chainsawed off and then later it's duct-taped back on and it's all better?
That really took me out of the immersion and after that I found the game more comedic than anything else.

Have you heard of this game called lethal company? I heard it’s a lot of fun with friends!
its 2spooky4u

Also, saw a lot of what others have enjoyed. Noticed there are a lot of games on the lists that are such classics and it's nice to see that they still hold a lot of weight to people.

Mistreil mentioned RPGmaker games and I especially loved Ib and Ao Oni. (Also love that you enjoy Forewarned Mistreil. awesome)
Ao Oni being a great mention because while exploring the house as a kid, my brother decided to come and yell inside my room about food. I won't forget my fear that day. Unforgettable memories.

With how big of a franchise Resident Evil is, I'm not surprised to see them. I love Resident Evil 4 and loved that I could buy that game on the Gamecube as a kid. Then I bought it again for the Wii (awesome btw because wii remote = point + shoot) and again for the PS4. Probably have a problem.. Def did enjoy the remake once it came out on PS5. Debating whether or not I should get it on Steam.

i really enjoyed buddy simulator 1984!! it's a solo adventure RPG in a text-based game style. you make a buddy! everything's really great, mega solid recommend 😌

i don't really play a lot of horror games but my favourite was eternal darkness for gamecube, i'm not sure how well it's aged but at the time i found it so creepy, there's also some meta scares that were pretty unique for the time
Post automatically merged:

i should probably read the OP before posting and not after.... good taste blink hehe

F.E.A.R

The atmosphere was on point, and the AI was surprisingly good for a 2005 release. You can find yourself in a lot of "omg, what was that?" situations. I remember walking down a hall, and I suddenly heard something drop out of nowhere. It was a grenade, and you can imagine how that went. Same thing for spooky shapes appearing and disappearing throughout the corridors.

I love psychological horror even though I'm easily startled now.

i’m not impressed by 90% of horror games, so i’ve never bought one. i am entertained by youtubers playing them and being absolutely terrified though.

the only horror game i was into was ddlc. i think psychological horror with a good plot line may be more up my alley. a friend recommended omori so i’ll probably watch a playthrough of that soon.

Rest In Pieces. It’s unique in that it’s completely physics based and a horror game. You have these porcelain figures, each of them trapped in a nightmare, and you have to run them through different courses to help wake them up. They’re dangling on a string, and you have to swing them around accurately to avoid all obstacles. Since they’re porcelain, they break if they touch anything. Each character gets their own power up too.

It was pretty difficult to beat.

Not the biggest horror fan, but I enjoyed playing Tokyo Dark and Oxenfree.

Gonna take a different spin on this thread...

Ao Oni is definitely one of the scarier games I've played. Turn off the lights, mute all your sounds, and play that game for a good scare.
Corpse party is also pretty fun as far as RPG maker horror games go.

For gameplay:

World of Horror, which has a fantastic Junji Ito aesthetic as well as an interesting spin on choose your own adventure games.

Psych horror:

Yume nikki, .flow are both really enjoyable psych horror free games, some of my favorite games ever.

You can also look into horror VNs but they're more life ruining psychologically than just... like a fun horror game....

I just finished playing Until Dawn. I am pretty sure this is the first ever horror game that I have played on my PlayStation.

Devotion has got to be one of the best horror games I've played story wise. Actually saw the full gameplay on YouTube but still decided I had to experience it myself and bought it

I’ve only played one and a small part of another one and only because I had someone hanging out with me at the time.

I played Resident Evil 4 completely and a little bit of Bloodborne. Resident Evil’s story was pretty good. Bloodborne was interesting but the story confused me I think.

I was interested in maybe trying Bendy and the ink machine since i liked the art style, but I probably won’t.

I’m usually not into horror in general and am bad with just normal suspense 😓.

Back