• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Underrated and Overrated Products and Brands

Sabbyy

Bells
What are some underrated and overrated products and brands in your opinion?

Underrated:

Store brand food. I don't understand why no one cares for it. It's cheap, and tastes great.

Overrated:

Hollister. Very simple clothing and yet so expensive! You can find better clothes, for a better price, elsewhere.

Last edited:
Underrated: Thrift store clothing

Overrated: Name brand crap- Yo, thats 50$ for a T-Shirt.

Underrated: Thrift store clothing

Overrated: Name brand crap- Yo, thats 50$ for a T-Shirt.
This. The name doesn't(necessarily) make the quality...i.e. generic antihistamine pills are the SAME F***ING THING AS BENADRYL, IT'S THE SAME F***ING ACTIVE INGREDIENT, PEOPLE!!: DIPHENHYDRAMINE!!!!! >8C (I hate it when people are this stupid, that they think having a popular brand name is all the difference...uck, sorry had to vent....it just irritates me so much, like really?? You never look at the active ingredients?? lol)

Last edited:
I only eat and wear name brand things, so my opinion is likely to be biased. Though, I think Nutella is very overrated.

Underrated: Urban Gypsy. Google it.
Overrated: Hollister. Like, nope. I think I'll buy my jeggings in a store that doesn't put me in danger of passing out. (Perfume and cologne mixture=lethal.)

Overrated = UGGS. My friend has these really pretty, sparkly gray boots that are not uggs and were so much cheaper. Then there are tons of girls with $200 Uggs shoes that are boring brown. I don't even know why Uggs are so popular.

Last edited:
Overrated = UGGS. My friend has these really pretty, sparkly gray boots that are not uggs and were so much cheaper. Then there are tons of girls with $200 Uggs shoes that are boring brown. I don't even know why Uggs are so popular.
I like them because they tend to "hold up" much better than Target ones. I can usually get a few years out of a pair.

Overrated: Metallica, post-black album stuff. Also, action-horror games where you're a gun-toting bada**(i.e. Dead Space, later Resident Evil games, etc.) as opposed to the more awesome, atmospheric stuff, like Silent Hill and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Clock Tower: The First Fear....you know, horror games that actually put emphasis on S-U-R-V-I-V-A-L and A-T-M-O-S-P-H-E-R-E and not A-C-T-I-O-N????

Overrated- Kanye West ANYTHING. I'm actually quite jealous of his ability to do little or next to nothing and get millions of dollars for it. Like his 'shirt'. Nothing special about it. Wasn't magical. Didn't wash itself. It was a plain white T-shirt, same on you could get at Walmart. You know what it sold for? $120. And guess what? It sold out immediately. If anyone wrote my name a T-shirt, I doubt it'll sell for 25 cents at a garage sale.

Overrated - Fads like Gangnam style, the harlem shake, and what did the fox say, celebrities, and music in general

Underrated - Farmer Markets that sell fresh, healthier things like fruits and vegetables, and has good service, rather than regular store food that can sit on a shelf forever because it's crap.

Underrated:
Storebrand products(like OP said). I don't see anything wrong with
Them. Cheap and its well. Food!

Thrift store clothes(like Bambi said). I upcycle so its the perfect
Place for me ti get my supplies to make something ^~^.

OLDER MOVIES!!! People think becaus they are older they aren't
Good!!!

Overrated:
Nuttela. Come on its just chocolate peanut butter practically!
Apple
Hollister,Abercrombie,Fitch,etc.
Internet Memes... It's not a product but they are overrated.
I hate when people start using references from them in real life.
And other things. I could go on for ever.

Last edited:
and music in general

Underrated - Farmer Markets that sell fresh, healthier things like fruits and vegetables, and has good service, rather than regular store food that can sit on a shelf forever because it's crap.

Really? Music? o: Some of it is definitely overrated but not all of it... But you're entitled to your opinions. I agree with you about farmers markets being underrated. I haven't gone to a regular grocery store in so long because even though they do sell fruits and vegetables, everything just isn't quite as fresh.

As for something that's overrated for me... Hmm, there's lots... Just a few: Hersheys (That chocolate isn't worth putting in my mouth), most insanely popular artists (Autotune. 'Nuff said), and Apple products. (I do own apple products, but I get so annoyed by people who think they're "all that" just because they own an Apple device.)

Really? Music? o: Some of it is definitely overrated but not all of it... But you're entitled to your opinions. I agree with you about farmers markets being underrated. I haven't gone to a regular grocery store in so long because even though they do sell fruits and vegetables, everything just isn't quite as fresh.

As for something that's overrated for me... Hmm, there's lots... Just a few: Hersheys (That chocolate isn't worth putting in my mouth), most insanely popular artists (Autotune. 'Nuff said), and Apple products. (I do own apple products, but I get so annoyed by people who think they're "all that" just because they own an Apple device.)

I don't like listening to music at all. Just my personal preference.

Overrated: Nutella and Uggs
Underrated: Classical music and buying in bulk.
Someone told me it's too expensive to buy a 500 forks pack at Costco or BJ's, but buying 40 each week for $12.99 when the bulk can last longer for $60.. getting single packs each time is soo not worth it. .-.

Overrated: Call of Duty and Jordans

Underrated: I guess thrift store clothing also because today I found a fancy jacket for $10

Underrated:

Classic movies, or Criterion releases. I know people around my age would respond with something like:

"Durr, classic movies suck bcus theyre in blacknwhite, and they dont got hot girls stripping down to a bikini hurdurr! Scary Movie is funny bcus it makes fun of the Exorcist!!! Hurdurr! That movie sux!!!!!!! And foreign movies sucks too durrr!! It sux cus its not in Eng'ish hurdurr!"

Overrated:

A lot of the newer movies that teens are into, especially those dumb Adam Sandler movies.

Last edited:
Overrated:
Freaking iPhones- not apple, just iPhones. Everyone has one, and they're so boring and the horrible eye-scarring iOS 7 really puts the cherry on top. I actually love iMacs, but still cannot stand everyone's infatuation with iphones. Ew.

The Xbox and Playstation (you can kinda guess where I'm going with underrated brand, hint hint) I feel like they do produce a lot of well made games but people just play COD and Battlefield, etc...I really did like the original Xbox with it's more unique line up of games.

This isn't really a "brand" but more of a franchise, Doctor Who is extremely overrated. It's not horrible, but it's not amazing.

Underrated:
Any smartphone that's not the iPhone.

Nintendo! Since this is an AC forum, I doubt anyone is against my opinion here, as Nintendo is awesome and gets a lot of crap for being aimed towards a younger audience. Their story is such an amazing one (read Super Mario, it's a fantastic book), and they really did start this huge gaming lexicon, but people continue to look down on the games they make sadly.

And lol Glee. Most people hate it, no one really still watches it, but I'm kinda of a musical guy so I really do love the show. Not something I go around announcing though. This kinda makes me inadequate to be hating on Doctor Who but I'm a science fiction fan as well, not just of teenage high-school-musical style shows xD

Last edited:
A lot of the times, store-brand foods are cheaper because they use lower-quality ingredients. No thank you.

Overrated - Fads like Gangnam style, the harlem shake, and what did the fox say, celebrities, and music in general

Thank you!

Unfortunately some people think they're overrated. Just because a couple of hipsters they dislike in their community preferred those types of food doesn't mean their lifestyle is bad. Farmer markets usually have healthy things (and tasty too). If you go to local ethnic markets, you can find quality stuff for a decent price.

Back