• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Today I Learned: New Horizons Edition

That fish can attempt to jump up waterfalls! While fishing at a waterfall on a mystery island, I got a real life phone call, so my character was standing there for a while. Suddenly, my husband and I saw a fish jump halfway up the waterfall, then almost to the top. It hung there for a few seconds then fell back down. I was so excited that I didn't even take a photo! 🤦‍♀️ Believe it or not!

@Nenya Do you mean the fish's shadow sort of clipped up onto the higher level, or was there a unique jumping/swimming animation for it going up the waterfall? Either way, if you see anything unexpected and cool happen in the future, remember that you can hold down the screenshot button to save a video of the last thirty seconds of gameplay, and then you can even take individual screenshots from that video in the photos menu of the Switch.

@Nenya Do you mean the fish's shadow sort of clipped up onto the higher level, or was there a unique jumping/swimming animation for it going up the waterfall? Either way, if you see anything unexpected and cool happen in the future, remember that you can hold down the screenshot button to save a video of the last thirty seconds of gameplay, and then you can even take individual screenshots from that video in the photos menu of the Switch.
Yeah I was going to say this. I would had liked to see something like that happen. I record glitches that happen in game every time they happen so I can share them. Like one time I forced one of my villagers out via an amiibo and I must had done it when they were also the crafter for that time period. So when I went into their house they were pounding a bunch of their cardboard boxes.

'Hey boss, what does frah-jilly mean?'

TIL that while Nook Shopping seasonal items won't show up in the Nook Shopping catalog, they will show up in your catalog of furniture for Harv's Island. Specifically, I sold my only yellow whoopee cushion, then checked Harv's Island to make sure it showed up as an item I could use. I've been wondering about this for a while, since I want them for Harv's, but don't need endless variations of items I don't like taking up storage space.

Hi, kiwi, we saw the shadow jump up and, as you say, sort of clipped onto the higher level, with its tail sticking out and waving. Then another jump up to almost the top. My husband, who is very observant, says that the nose of the fish was sticking out the top of the waterfall before it fell back to the bottom.

Thanks for the reminder of the video backplay...I needed that! I'll probably never see that again but I will be more aware in the future! Btw, we watched that fish for about 20 mins while I encouraged it to try again, but no... :cautious:;)

Yeah I was going to say this. I would had liked to see something like that happen. I record glitches that happen in game every time they happen so I can share them. Like one time I forced one of my villagers out via an amiibo and I must had done it when they were also the crafter for that time period. So when I went into their house they were pounding a bunch of their cardboard boxes.

'Hey boss, what does frah-jilly mean?'

Is there a video of the villager pounding on their move-out boxes that you can post? That sounds funny!
Where is the quote from, btw?

Well found it out yesterday, that those rocks on the beach, if you plan to dive from it, I recently learnt if you run towards it, pressing A your player summersalts into the water!! Was so surprised!

i just learned that you can't interact with the breakers in your house ... what the heck?! :cautious:

this is a pretty silly discovery, but i learnt yesterday that the mug furniture item has steam coming from it! i honestly didn’t even notice until i saw it in nook’s cranny. 😅

I didn't learn anything new but I realized that, when flattening a large part of my new island and moving buildings around, that it's better to move buildings first rather than worry about erasing all paths and digging up all flowers, etc. Because you can just dump a building on stuff and "boom" it's gone like the Wicked Witch of the East in The Wizard of Oz. Today I sent a bunch of DIYs to the recycle bin by dumping O'Hare's house on them. And I got rid of an old flower bed by relocating my house there. Yay!

another silly discovery, but today i learned that some of the pins on the bulletin board are flower-shaped!

F4FDC6C0-0B34-4868-BAA1-A4899219ABE6.jpeg

this is a pretty silly discovery, but i learnt yesterday that the mug furniture item has steam coming from it! i honestly didn’t even notice until i saw it in nook’s cranny. 😅

It's interesting how the details on items are easier to see when they are on display in the shop. Sometimes I just get close to things in the shop that I already have and use the camera to zoom in on them, because everything is so nicely detailed and visible in the shop light/angle.

Is there a video of the villager pounding on their move-out boxes that you can post? That sounds funny!
Where is the quote from, btw?
Sorry I meant to comment on this ages ago and had a brain-fart. The comment is from Rugrats I think. A mover drops a box that's labeled fragile and it sounds like glass of some sort shatters.

Here's the thing.

TIL that the mystery islands have 2 (or more?) kinds of hourly music, at least one before and one after 6 pm. I was playing around that time and all of the sudden i noticed the music was more mellow. Never realised it before because it does sound similar.

Also I learned you can 'swoosh' sparkles when ignited! Super cute.

Technically this was yesterday but I learned that Nook Shopping is selling a rodeo-style springy ride on and it is the cutest thing!! I want to order so many of them 💕

I feel silly for this one, but I recently learned that the mugs are actually customizable! I thought they only came in solid colors, but you can paste logos/custom designs on them. You can tell this is an item I never paid much attention to lol.

Unless I'm wrong, I learned that the fruit beetle did NOT make a return in New Horizons. I'm a little surprised by it to be honest.

I learned that you can place a music player at Harv's and choose the music - I could've sworn I tried that when I first used Harv's and it didn't work! But now all my goodbye parties can have dancing to the villager's favourite song :)

Back