• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Study in Cartography: Reading the Island Map

Fey

Nook Inc.’s Pet 🐇
Bells
Switch
8009-1850-5418
White Violet
Purple Violet
Ruby
White Violet
Purple Violet
Lobo
Calling all Explorers:

In the spirit of new discoveries, let’s take a closer look at E3s Island Map and see what possible conclusions we can draw from it!

B7170AC5-A5E5-456E-80C8-5AB8A4A39516.jpg

The Obvious
✦ three beach sides
✦ one rocky side
✦ different levels of elevation

The Unknown
✦ What is the purpose of the thin green strip framing the top and sides of the upper level?
✦ What is the significance of the two visible gaps in this thin strip?
✦ What is the meaning of the four dark lines right below the foot of the mountains?

Is it all purely for aesthetics? Maybe just a coincidence, or even an error on the map? If not, might this be an area designated for future additions, such as shops and services? Are the lines indicators for four major buildings?

I’m curious to hear your thoughts and see if we can get closer to decrypting what they’ve mapped out for us so far!

Last edited:
Oooooh well come to think of it, maybe the map is layered at that part and it shows through a bit? It's somewhat of a crazy theory but since material gathering is so important now... Maybe there are caves in the parts where the border cliff has openings? It would be a good place to get stone and minerals from right?

Hmmm... It could also just be an awkward opening, New Leaf had some weird terrain too sometimes. But the idea of a cave is obviously waaay more interesting.

There are three beach sides, boo. Not two.

I think the light green at the top is another higher cliff level but I don't think it will be accessible. I think it's the edge of town. I wonder if the person who counted the map tiles accounted for that but there's no way to really know because they didnt show it.

I want to know where the ramps are to get the regular upper level. Unless the whole thing is a ramp, but I dont think so because that's not what we saw in the trailer?

And I didnt notice the dark lines. Hmm..

There are three beach sides, boo. Not two.

I think the light green at the top is another higher cliff level but I don't think it will be accessible. I think it's the edge of town. I wonder if the person who counted the map tiles accounted for that but there's no way to really know because they didnt show it.

I want to know where the ramps are to get the regular upper level. Unless the whole thing is a ramp, but I dont think so because that's not what we saw in the trailer?

And I didnt notice the dark lines. Hmm..

I think the point is that the unaccessible cliff doesn't completely line out the stone ridge. There are openings in the cliffs!

I have no idea, but the river goes up to one of the light green strip. It might be the top of a cliff we can potentially explore. I cant figure out why it just stops like that, though..

I think all four sides will be explorable. The gaps are where you can get to the rocks.

As far as the darker lines- caves would be pretty neat. But four caves? Makes me think that it is something else.

I don’t think shops though- those will likely go in the brown area near Tom Nooks place.

I think all four sides will be explorable. The gaps are where you can get to the rocks.

As far as the darker lines- caves would be pretty neat. But four caves? Makes me think that it is something else.

I don’t think shops though- those will likely go in the brown area near Tom Nooks place.

Oh wow that's interesting, they might not be super tall mountains like everyone said but like a stone beach. It actually makes sense too if you look at how it's shaded, it seems to be not as tall as the cliff before it.

Have you noticed the light blue triangles below the airport and at the top of the map? I wonder what they could be since they don't seem to be randomly placed to me

Have you noticed the light blue triangles below the airport and at the top of the map? I wonder what they could be since they don't seem to be randomly placed to me

I think theyre just supposed to represent waves/water texture.

It just occurred to me that the minimap doesn't make any indication for ramps. I wonder if that's just because they didn't set up the treehouse map that way or if we'll be able to decide where we can place ramps this time around?

Regarding the lighter green parts, maybe they represent even higher elevation? They're very thin, so I don't know what we would be able to do with it, but looking at the official trailer (1:16-1:18) you can kind of see a long continuous structure above the cliff that kind of matches the topography of the map.

It just occurred to me that the minimap doesn't make any indication for ramps. I wonder if that's just because they didn't set up the treehouse map that way or if we'll be able to decide where we can place ramps this time around?

Regarding the lighter green parts, maybe they represent even higher elevation? They're very thin, so I don't know what we would be able to do with it, but looking at the official trailer (1:16-1:18) you can kind of see a long continuous structure above the cliff that kind of matches the topography of the map.

Actually the impression I got is that as you develop the town you unlock new things to build and also a way to access new areas on the island. I actually think that kind of progression is really cool in an Animal Crossing game.

I think that would mark the first time in the series that you had to unlock an area in your town right?

Last edited:
Ooh! Have you guys read the news that Mr. Resetti has been laid off and is looking for a new job. Makes me think caves may be a thing after all! Mr. Resetti could be in charge of them.

Actually the impression I got is that as you develop the town you unlock new things to build and also a way to access new areas on the island. I actually think that kind of progression is really cool in an Animal Crossing game.

I think that would mark the first time in the series that you had to unlock an area in your town right?

Yeah! That's what I meant my bad, haha. I don't think we'll get to place ramps from the first day. I love the idea of slowly unlocking access to the rest of the island. The only issue I see is that it would restrict where we can live (unless moving our home isn't restricted to when it's a tent.) Maybe we'll have the ability to climb the cliffs similar to how we could pole vault over the river?

Ooh! Have you guys read the news that Mr. Resetti has been laid off and is looking for a new job. Makes me think caves may be a thing after all! Mr. Resetti could be in charge of them.

It could always be a case of both the stone beach and caves. But yes now that you mention it, it would be a perfect job switch for him since he has a pickaxe and all!

Wow maybe I was really onto something in the end, I kind of threw it out there thinking it was nonsense.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah! That's what I meant my bad, haha. I don't think we'll get to place ramps from the first day. I love the idea of slowly unlocking access to the rest of the island. The only issue I see is that it would restrict where we can live (unless moving our home isn't restricted to when it's a tent.) Maybe we'll have the ability to climb the cliffs similar to how we could pole vault over the river?

Yeah the house plotting will be limited then too I suppose. It could go many ways, maybe you can move your house? Maybe you can decide to build your house somewhere different than where your tent was originally. If they make it so that you unlock the upper area before you upgrade to a real house then that would solve the issue easily. It's hard to say for sure how they're handling all this...

That makes me want an underground section now. Image unlocking caves under your island. Resetti could guide you and we could find rarer ore from the rocks down there instead... :eek:

That makes me want an underground section now. Image unlocking caves under your island. Resetti could guide you and we could find rarer ore from the rocks down there instead... :eek:

True; like I said in another post or possibly on Discord, the rocks seem to only cough up stones, clay, and iron. That, and there was no dig spots at all. We need some way to find fossils, gems, and Gyroids if that's the case.

So I was checking the treehouse video to see if they go close enough to see the top of the map and I noticed this:

You can see cliffs and pines trees on the top. plus a waterfall.
Screenshot_20190614-103150_YouTube.jpg

For reference she's nearby here on the map:
Screenshot_20190614-103250_YouTube.jpg

I think the light green part is the cliffs, but now I'm even more unsure what the lighter green strips mean. Maybe a second layer of cliffs??

So I was checking the treehouse video to see if they go close enough to see the top of the map and I noticed this:

You can see cliffs and pines trees on the top. plus a waterfall.
View attachment 226360

For reference she's nearby here on the map:
View attachment 226361

I think the light green part is the cliffs, but now I'm even more unsure what the lighter green strips mean. Maybe a second layer of cliffs??

To me it seems like the first extra layer is just another accessible layer while the even lighter layer of ground will just be like the border cliffs in New Leaf and the games before.

Last edited:
It might be possible that the gaps in the light green border could be hinting at another half of the map? It would explain the dark green lines at the top, indicating that that's where the top area connects with the higher cliffs? It does seem kinda awkward that the top cliff part is so short, though if the trailer footage is anything to go off of (the part with snow and pine trees) the area seems fairly large. I do like the idea of them being caves though, it would be a much better way to get something like gems or different kinds of stone.

Back