• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town announced!

i bought this game on release and still haven't played it, i'm just super sad about no character portraits lol.. has anyone played trio of towns? that's probably been my favourite story game (it's not perfect but i defo enjoyed it), will it hold up to that? if so then i'll probably give it a chance

i bought this game on release and still haven't played it, i'm just super sad about no character portraits lol.. has anyone played trio of towns? that's probably been my favourite story game (it's not perfect but i defo enjoyed it), will it hold up to that? if so then i'll probably give it a chance
in all fairness with the portraits, i don't think a console bokumono game has had those since... hm64? 😅 which is probably why PoOT doesn't have them. definitely get it though, since the models don't look the best. god i miss the animal parade models honestly i think you should give it a chance no matter what since you bought it, just to test it out (it's surprisingly a lot of fun gameplay-wise!), but from what i remember of 3T it doesn't play very close to it if that's very specifically what you're looking for.

For those who have the game and have played since the 1.0.5 update dropped, what's your opinion on the game now? Are makers less annoying to use? Also is the character dialogue much more interesting?

I'm still on the fence on buying this game but I'm curious to hear about how much this patch has fixed things. I know there's even more in store for the future 1.0.6 patch as well.

The DLC on the other hand is still any easy pass for me personally.

For those who have the game and have played since the 1.0.5 update dropped, what's your opinion on the game now? Are makers less annoying to use? Also is the character dialogue much more interesting?

I'm still on the fence on buying this game but I'm curious to hear about how much this patch has fixed things. I know there's even more in store for the future 1.0.6 patch as well.

The DLC on the other hand is still any easy pass for me personally.
for me personally, i think 1.0.5 definitely helped — the basic dialogue update was just for the marriage candidates I think (for now, anyway), but it made talking to them daily a lot less tedious. using Bridget as an example because i couldn’t stand talking to her pre-1.0.5 since she got hit what I think is potentially the hardest w/ the limited dialogue, i think she’s tolerable to drop by and say hi to every day. no more Hello. Hello. Hi. Do you like animals? Do you like animals? Hello. Do you like animals? The animals wake up early, so I do too. from her

The makers are definitely still kind of tedious as a general thing just because they’re so NECESSARY especially for early game but being able to pre-load them instead of having to constantly grab your item and add more materials is definitely handy. all in all I do think the patches helped & the game is genuinely fun to play w them included! you might want to wait until 1.0.6 drops this month or is close though if you’re still on-the-fence, because 1.0.6 is supposed to add an actual mini game to the egg hunt (right now it’s just a cutscene....) and that festival shows up pretty early.

I haven't actually ever played an entry in this series. I am aware of the company split a while back and I have heard that the series generally took a turn for the worse since then with the games being pretty medicore. Interested to hear from players with all of the updates, what do you guys think about this? Is the general consensus on the internet accurate? I would really love to give the game a go if it is any good.

I haven't actually ever played an entry in this series. I am aware of the company split a while back and I have heard that the series generally took a turn for the worse since then with the games being pretty medicore. Interested to hear from players with all of the updates, what do you guys think about this? Is the general consensus on the internet accurate? I would really love to give the game a go if it is any good.
want to make a correction & it's that the company itself didn't split, the localizers did because marvelous, the parent company, switched to in-house localization using their NA team (XSEED) for future games, so the old localizer (Natsume) started making their own. the Natsume games are not good. also i don't think i'd call the games post-split mediocre by any means -- i liked sos1 & thought it was pretty solid, trio of towns is pretty much widely agreed to be a great game, & the mineral town remake was very true to the original... 😅 but that aside, i think despite some still-existing criticisms that with the patches pioneers of olive town is genuinely a lot of fun & it has some really fun features to it. it also breaks a lot of classic series mechanics & formulas though so if you're looking to get into the series as a whole past this i'd keep that in mind

Vanivon is correct. I wanted to add on that basically any of the new "Harvest Moon" games suck/are mediocre (Natsume games) while "Story of Seasons" are what you're looking for.

I'm still working on upgrading all my tools to gold. And also trying to marry Reager

Guyssssss. Just bought this game and really loving it!!

Does anyone know if you can buy saplings? A lot of the trees are in the way but if I squash them, I won't have as much wood supplies.

1.0.7 is out in japan and has been announced for NA! no idea about other regions, but the big thing for this one is that it adds extra expressions and a zoom-in mode for when you talk to people so you can actually like... see the expressions they make.

Guyssssss. Just bought this game and really loving it!!

Does anyone know if you can buy saplings? A lot of the trees are in the way but if I squash them, I won't have as much wood supplies.
you can buy fruit tree saplings, but there's no need for regular trees because they constantly regrow around your farm even after you cut them down :0

1.0.7 is out in japan and has been announced for NA! no idea about other regions, but the big thing for this one is that it adds extra expressions and a zoom-in mode for when you talk to people so you can actually like... see the expressions they make.

you can buy fruit tree saplings, but there's no need for regular trees because they constantly regrow around your farm even after you cut them down :0
Wait so if you smush them, do they regrow elsewhere or are they permanently gone?

I heard there was another update recently? Just wondering if anyone’s opinion about the game (and dlc) has changed any.

Just started a new save after not playing for god knows how many months.
On my first save file I got married to Jack, and got as far as making the items for the last area.
But they required so much stuff I got bored.

I could have continued with that save, but I want to marry raeger (because duh), and I could never leave Jack like that!

I'm loving the changes they made to the game since launch.
The makers, the conversation, the chat cam.

Shame the DLC was worthless... but it did bring raeger

Just started a new save after not playing for god knows how many months.
On my first save file I got married to Jack, and got as far as making the items for the last area.
But they required so much stuff I got bored.

I could have continued with that save, but I want to marry raeger (because duh), and I could never leave Jack like that!

I'm loving the changes they made to the game since launch.
The makers, the conversation, the chat cam.

Shame the DLC was worthless... but it did bring raeger

So the DLC isn't worth buying unless you plan on marrying one of the DLC exclusive candidates then? Just asking as I will likely buy the game during a good sale and I'd like to save money on the DLC if it really isn't worth it.

Actually it looks like the game got what appears to be a permanent price drop by $10 on the eshop. It's now $40 CAD (was $50 at launch). If a sale happens that drops it to $20-25 then I'll definitely consider on buying it then.

So the DLC isn't worth buying unless you plan on marrying one of the DLC exclusive candidates then? Just asking as I will likely buy the game during a good sale and I'd like to save money on the DLC if it really isn't worth it.

Actually it looks like the game got what appears to be a permanent price drop by $10 on the eshop. It's now $40 CAD (was $50 at launch). If a sale happens that drops it to $20-25 then I'll definitely consider on buying it then.
It has an extra mystery story for you to play which is nice. It also gives you some cool outfits for yourself and the original marriage candidates.

But the 3 new areas are sadly just there for a couple of houses where the new NPCs live. There is nothing to do there but talk to the NPCs and the NPCs will never interact with olive town.

I won't say I regret buying the DLC as such.
But if none of the marriage candidates it adds are of any interest, then I cant fully recommend it.

If the DLC was half the price I would say it was worth it.
Its kinda like if you went to McDonald's and they charged £25 for a big mac meal.
You'd be satisfied with the product, but saltier than the fries about the price you paid.

Just a heads up for those like me that are interested in trying this game, but are unsure if it's worth it. The game is going to be available as a free trial from September 22nd (tomorrow) until September 29th for those with a Nintendo Online subscription. The game will also be 10% until October 4th so if you do decide to buy it during/after the trial it will still be on sale.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to buying this game, but I will definitely be giving the trial a go and that should help me finalize my decision.

I have been giving the trial a go since I have been Stardew Valley and it reminded me of the Harvest Moon days. I have been wondering about PoOT as well but wasn't sure if I really wanted it or if it was just nostalgia.

So far it has been good and I am liking it but I am still on the fence if if I'd like to download it fully. I keep comparing to Stardew Valley and in a couple weeks, I know I'll be focusing on a new game coming out so I feel like if I was to buy it now, it would be quickly put on the back shelf. Maybe it will be just something in mind if I come to a point where I am looking for something new again and then perhaps I'll consider playing it fully.

An update after playing a bit of the free trial.

The game is decent and cute and whatnot but I find myself itching to play Pokemon (older gens) or DS era Harvest Moon games instead. I don't think Pioneers of Olive Town is a bad game it's just an ok game. So I'm gonna have to pass on buying this one. Especially now that Rune Factory 5 has a specific release date I think I'll just wait for that one. :)

I really did appreciate them giving us a chance to try out the game though. I wish they did this more often.

Back