• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town announced!

Has anybody figured out what materials go in the textile maker?
There are two types of makers for this:
Cloth Maker = Turns animal wool (sheep/alpaca) into various cloths.
Textile Maker = Turns thread into various different cloths.
To make thread, you need to use the thread maker to turn grass into thread.

So I encountered my first and only crash (soft crash, anyway) in the third mine. It was near the very end of my day on a very busy day, so I lost a bit of progress from that one and had to do it again. Annoying, but fortunately it was only one day.

At this point I'm almost done with summer.

I unlocked Stonebreaker Valley. Orichalcum is so rare it's not often worth it to go to the mine for that, so the valley helps. At least I'm guaranteed Mirage Lumber in the fields, even if it takes so long to farm it. I'll need a lot of both, so this is where the real grind starts and it'll take a good while.

I've been interested in this game - do y'all recommend it? I've seen a mixed response to it but it seems like the kind of game I enjoy. I like games like Stardew, and I have played Harvest Moon games in the past (haven't touched it since DS days though lol) - How does this stack up in comparison to it's past titles in the series?

With these kinds of games my favourite part is the character customisation, and interacting with townsfolk. I'm actually a pretty lousy farmer.

tbh, I should maybe wait for it to drop it price first.

I've been interested in this game - do y'all recommend it? I've seen a mixed response to it but it seems like the kind of game I enjoy. I like games like Stardew, and I have played Harvest Moon games in the past (haven't touched it since DS days though lol) - How does this stack up in comparison to it's past titles in the series?

With these kinds of games my favourite part is the character customisation, and interacting with townsfolk. I'm actually a pretty lousy farmer.

There's quite a bit of character customization compared to past titles, but the NPC dialogue is among the weaker entries. Definitely not the worst, but outside of some of the cutscenes it's fairly generic. The story isn't really all that interesting compared to other titles.

Stardew Valley has had a ton of features added over the years, so PoOT will definitely feel lacking in certain areas by comparison.

I think the biggest drawback to PoOT is the makers, though. It artificially hinders progression and they just take up so much space.

As for some positive points, the farm allows for a variety of customization similar to Animal Crossing, though obviously you don't have things like terraforming and the ability to move your own home (other buildings can be moved). Another feature is that shops actually remain open on typhoon/blizzard days (though almost everyone stays inside). In ToT, you could finally go outside during them, but shops were closed. The museum adds a bit more to do and the camera is fun to use at times.

If you're a HM/SoS fan who wants something new, PoOT is a good game. However, there are definitely better games out there if you're new or haven't played the series in a while. Friends of Mineral Town is a much better game with what feels like a lot more to do. Trio of Towns too if you wanna play on 3DS. Those two games may be better choices if you haven't played since the DS days.

Once more patches hit and the DLC is released, PoOT may change.

I do recommend the game as a whole to play, but it may be better to wait. As I've said before, I'm definitely enjoying the game, but given the choice between PoOT and FoMT or ToT, I'd probably recommend playing one of the latter titles first and moving on to PoOT once you've gotten your fill of those.

Last edited:
There's quite a bit of character customization compared to past titles, but the NPC dialogue is among the weaker entries. Definitely not the worst, but outside of some of the cutscenes it's fairly generic. The story isn't really all that interesting compared to other titles.

Stardew Valley has had a ton of features added over the years, so PoOT will definitely feel lacking in certain areas by comparison.

I think the biggest drawback to PoOT is the makers, though. It artificially hinders progression and they just take up so much space.

As for some positive points, the farm allows for a variety of customization similar to Animal Crossing, though obviously you don't have things like terraforming and the ability to move your own home (other buildings can be moved). Another feature is that shops actually remain open on typhoon/blizzard days (though almost everyone stays inside). In ToT, you could finally go outside during them, but shops were closed. The museum adds a bit more to do and the camera is fun to use at times.

If you're a HM/SoS fan who wants something new, PoOT is a good game. However, there are definitely better games out there if you're new or haven't played the series in a while. Friends of Mineral Town is a much better game with what feels like a lot more to do. Trio of Towns too if you wanna play on 3DS. Those two games may be better choices if you haven't played since the DS days.

Once more patches hit and the DLC is released, PoOT may change.

I do recommend that game as a whole to play, but it may better to wait. As I've said before, I'm definitely enjoying the game, but given the choice between PoOT and FoMT or ToT, I'd probably recommend playing one of the latter titles first and moving on to PoOT once you've gotten your fill of those.
Thanks for such a thorough response! This is amazing.

I think I will leave it for now. Let it go down in price, and get some patches under it's belt, then maybe I'll pick it up.

But good shout on going back to older titles, though. I didn't even think about that, but i'm actually intrigued now - will go and check prices ! I sank so many hours into Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life back in the day, and I guess the idea of getting back into a game like that appeals rn.

Thanks for the review - appreciated!

I agree with most of what Ossiran said, at least as a longtime HM/SoS fan who's still waiting on the patches before I buy PoOT. 3oT is one of the strongest entries when it comes to customization and fleshed-out townspeople, so I'd definitely recommend that instead. FoMT isn't bad, but personally, I still can't really get over the chibi art - if that's not a problem for you, then that's also an option.

As for the problems mentioned when it comes to PoOT, the devs have already announced at least one more patch to fix some of the gameplay problems, like the makers and dialogue, as well as the usual bug fixes. The next patch should be released mid-April, so I'd check back then to see if it's worth buying with the changes.

Reactions: 0ni
i literally JUST bought this game and it's downloading at the moment- i did see a lot of the conversation about how PoOT (i still think it's so funny that it's "poot") has lots of problems and people want updates from the devs, but tbh i have never played a SoS (or Harvest Moon) game (i've only ever played Stardew) and I'm very excited. i think i'll honestly really like it a lot because i don't have much to compare it with and it looks cute (which i'm a sucker for).

My order has officially been placed online for this game. I’m so excited to play it!! I’m glad they went back to the old design for the cows. The cows are so iconic and these were ugly af:
75D78EB8-BFD7-4FCE-8DEA-E0DE5A07E813.jpeg

I'm downloading the game at the moment (with the expansion pass) because I need the pick-me-up, and it looks like the right level of cuteness I need.

Fingers crossed it doesn't disappoint!

So far I find the game to be rather enjoyable! My only complaints are the slow movement speed and NPCs. They’re just not that interesting outside of their designs.

after playing for a bit i don't regret giving this game a chance! definitely agree that the most noticeable issues are the frame rate drops and the lacklustre everyday dialogue, but the fun cutscenes make up for that imo. i've almost finished year one and it feels like i've unlocked most things so we'll see if it keeps me interested in year two.

this game is probably good for people that like decorating their AC towns, i could happily spend the rest of the game just making my farm pretty

Reactions: Neb
I'm so thankful this thread exists because having read everyone's reviews on it I don't feel as bad putting off buying it lmao. as cute as it seems I think I can safely afford to wait a couple of months and be totally done with school before starting playing! or even better wait for some kind of sale but that seems unlikely early on

I got the premium edition pack with the little plushie and cloth poster! They're so cute! I'll probably start playing it tonight or tomorrow.

I had to get my HM fix somehow recently so broke down and got SDV. Kind of sad I didn't wait. The last one I played was Tale of Two Towns which I loved. It looks like it got bad ratings... I remember hauling absolute butt to the other town or the shrine between towns constantly 😂

With SDV... I liked the roguelike thing they had going on with the mines...maybe this new Harvest Moon (POOT? Seriously?!) will have some minigames. I have been wondering what the Harvest Moon people were going to do since SDV kind of stole their steam...I feel like playing this would be too repetitive. (Someone please advise!!!)

Which makes me sad because I really want to download it but can't justify doing so. Someone convince me!!! Can I be a ferret character? Can I wear a waistbag? Can I grow lychee? Can I grow a beard? I am desperate for an excuse! 🥺

I had to get my HM fix somehow recently so broke down and got SDV. Kind of sad I didn't wait. The last one I played was Tale of Two Towns which I loved. It looks like it got bad ratings... I remember hauling absolute butt to the other town or the shrine between towns constantly 😂

With SDV... I liked the roguelike thing they had going on with the mines...maybe this new Harvest Moon (POOT? Seriously?!) will have some minigames. I have been wondering what the Harvest Moon people were going to do since SDV kind of stole their steam...I feel like playing this would be too repetitive. (Someone please advise!!!)

Which makes me sad because I really want to download it but can't justify doing so. Someone convince me!!! Can I be a ferret character? Can I wear a waistbag? Can I grow lychee? Can I grow a beard? I am desperate for an excuse! 🥺
If you just got SDV, I'd stick with that for now, TBH. PoOT got pretty bad reviews in Japan, so bad that not only did they promise bug patches, but also changes to the gameplay and additional dialogue in order to bring it up to people's standards. It's especially laughable when you consider SDV costs €14, and has had multiple free updates throughout the years, the latest of which seems to have added a ton of new content, while PoOT costs €50, and you can shell out another €20 for the planned DLC.

The latest of the patches did come out in Japan today, but from the patch notes, I'd wait until at least 1.0.5. I don't think you can do any of the things you listed anyway, lol.

(And for as critical as I am, I'm almost definitely going to get it... eventually. Between RL stress and the issues I mentioned, though, I felt it'd be best to wait.)

Just started playing yesterday and I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.

Do friendship points deplete over time if I don’t talk to someone? For example if I have 2 hearts with someone and I don’t talk to them for awhile will my hearts deplete?

Is there more than one sprinkler? Should I go ahead and invest in the sprinklers or is there an upgraded version later on? I don’t want to waste my money if there is.

Just started playing yesterday and I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.

Do friendship points deplete over time if I don’t talk to someone? For example if I have 2 hearts with someone and I don’t talk to them for awhile will my hearts deplete?

Is there more than one sprinkler? Should I go ahead and invest in the sprinklers or is there an upgraded version later on? I don’t want to waste my money if there is.
i try to talk to everyone every day so i can't answer your first question but you do get a better sprinkler later on. to be honest though the watering can upgrades make it pretty speedy to water crops so i only just started using sprinklers, i suppose it depends how much you wanna grow and whether you like watering crops or not

i try to talk to everyone every day so i can't answer your first question but you do get a better sprinkler later on. to be honest though the watering can upgrades make it pretty speedy to water crops so i only just started using sprinklers, i suppose it depends how much you wanna grow and whether you like watering crops or not
I’d like to grow a ton of crops so do you think upgrading my watering can would suffice?

I’d like to grow a ton of crops so do you think upgrading my watering can would suffice?
sprinklers are probably worth it if you're planning on going all out - iirc the gold watering can water 9 squares but the better sprinkler automatically waters 2 squares in every direction around it (24 squares??) every morning

obviously small fields would only take a couple of minutes with the can but if you're covering a lot of land and you don't wanna spend the time/stamina then it'll make a big difference!

I'm really glad this thread was made because I really like seeing everyone's opinions as they play through the game. I've decided I will get the game, because even though I'm a huge Stardew fan, I still love a good HM/SOS game when I'm in the mood. I'm playing FOMT still, so I'll hold off on PoOt until I'm finished with that one.

I am glad that the game is still fun to play though, because those initial reviews had me worried.

Back