• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

how do you pronounce merengue?

how do you pronounce merengue?

• mer-en-gay

• mer-ang

• other (comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is a weird one. I think either pronunciation is reasonable:

I say Me-rang because her name is an
obvious reference to meringue.
However, the way it is spelled would actually be pronounced Mer-en-gay like the dance.

To me either is valid, even though I wonder if whoever named her just misspelled “meringue”. Definitely wouldn’t be surprised xD

oh wow i feel dumb now, considering no one else is pronouncing it as ‘mirang’ ... whoopsies!!!!!!

Like the food.

Side point: I always pronounced Pate like the food, as a duck villager I thought her name was a play on duck paté. Was very annoyed when I found out it's meant to be "pate" to rhyme with "Kate."

Like the food.

Side point: I always pronounced Pate like the food, as a duck villager I thought her name was a play on duck paté. Was very annoyed when I found out it's meant to be "pate" to rhyme with "Kate."
I read "Pate" and assumed Pate was a male villager, rhymes with Pate. When I found out Pate was female, I then went "Oh, must be pah-tay like the food." Now you're telling me it's Pate after all? 😂

I read "Pate" and assumed Pate was a male villager, rhymes with Pate. When I found out Pate was female, I then went "Oh, must be pah-tay like the food." Now you're telling me it's Pate after all? 😂
Yep, found that out in New Leaf when using the megaphone to call her, it wouldn't recognise any other pronunciation except "pate," like "Kate."

....I'm still gonna call her Pah-tay, like duck paté.

I pronounce her name as mer-eng, like how the word meringue is pronounced in lemon meringue pie (or at least how I pronounce it, anyways, lol).

The one thing that annoys me is when people in specific English Speaking countries blatantly mispronounce it then act like the PROPER pronunciation is wrong, for MANY languages. that's a common thing in North America, for example. Many even blatantly mispronounce Spanish out of laziness, it's a little annoying thing but it isn't a HUGE deal. Nothing wrong with your POV though, it makes sense
there's 3 countries in NA, one of which has a french variant as an official language besides english. so, yeah, we do know how to pronounce it the french way, since spanish is not all that common here. please don't generalize
Post automatically merged:

I used to pronounce it Mear-nique
reading the G as a Q? sometimes a font makes it harder to tell.

I always thought that since she's a food-themed villager, she was named after meringue, so I pronounce it as mer-ang. Tbh I never even noticed her name was spelled differently to it, because I never really knew how to spell meringue until just now lol.

Mer-ang, but I never noticed until now that it wasn't the right spelling for meringue :eek:

Honestly both are valid, though.

Back