• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

❄ [DIY GUIDE] Snowflake, Snowboy & Festive Season ⛄🎅 + Summer Shell Season!!! 🐚

Thank you so much for the guide! I want the winter stuff now, though lmao. I woke up irl with 6 inches of snow on the ground that weren't there yesterday, why can't it change just as fast in the game 😂

I'm TTing a bit ahead and just made my first (truly perfect, even if the first is always perfect I'm pretty sure he's legit perfect) snowboy and here's a tip/spoiler I didn't see anyone else mention (not that I looked too hard):

If you have multiple characters and/or share an island with someone, a snowboy will give DIYs even to the characters who didn't build him! It seems random which DIY goes to who- I've built one snowboy and currently have three different DIYs on different characters- unfortunately, the DIYs go straight to phones, so I can't give the card to my main character.

I've been thinking... is the reason they don't give you the cards because they don't have hands?

I'm TTing a bit ahead and just made my first (truly perfect, even if the first is always perfect I'm pretty sure he's legit perfect) snowboy and here's a tip/spoiler I didn't see anyone else mention (not that I looked too hard):

If you have multiple characters and/or share an island with someone, a snowboy will give DIYs even to the characters who didn't build him! It seems random which DIY goes to who- I've built one snowboy and currently have three different DIYs on different characters- unfortunately, the DIYs go straight to phones, so I can't give the card to my main character.

I've been thinking... is the reason they don't give you the cards because they don't have hands?

Does it work with visitors too?

what about snowman at already built? Can Visitor get the diy if they come to the island?
From what I understand, the DIY is a reward for building the perfect Snowboy, so visitors won't get DIYs from him. I haven't gotten to that yet myself, though, and am just going off of Google.

So I have a question for people or who time travel. Can you get ornaments from trees on NMT islands, or will only trees on your own island be decorated? I only thought about this now because I went to a NMT island and got a pinecone from a cedar tree.

Does anyone know if you are in Festive season if those DIYS take priority over the snowflake items? If I don't get all of the snowflake items before Festive season starts will I get more snowflake items before the Festive stuff?

From what I understand, the DIY is a reward for building the perfect Snowboy, so visitors won't get DIYs from him. I haven't gotten to that yet myself, though, and am just going off of Google.
IDK about visitors BUT...
I can say 100% for sure from experience, Snowboys WILL award DIYs to characters on your island who did not build them if they are perfect AND if the characters speak to them ON THE DAY THE SNOWBOY IS CREATED. I.E. their "birthday" (that's what they call it). Each DIY is random, all characters can get the same or different ones.

I'm guessing this is because you can only create one Snowboy per day, per island. That way, if multiple people play, the ones who didn't get to make the Snowboy can still get the DIYs. I don't think they can get Big Snowflakes, though.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably not for visitors. BUT I do have a freshly built, perfect Snowboy (I'm TTing)- if anyone wants to try, let me know, and I'll invite you.
Post automatically merged:

Does anyone know if you are in Festive season if those DIYS take priority over the snowflake items? If I don't get all of the snowflake items before Festive season starts will I get more snowflake items before the Festive stuff?
Snowflake DIYs are ONLY from Snowboys. You don't get them from balloons. Festive DIYs come from balloons. Totally separate sources, so no need to worry/hurry!

Again, I'm TTing, so I'm getting them all right now, lol

Also, Snowboy tip- they need a good amount of space to spawn (the snowballs, I mean). If, like me, you have a super decorated island you may need to clear space. BUT. If you do this, there's an advantage- the snowballs will spawn right beside each other, making it super easy to make your own little Snowboy factory. Here's mine:

Eogl-7yVEAEM6Kq

As you can see, they're all lined up along that cliff. I have a wide open area of snowy space, with some strips of stone pathing on the side. Roll the balls over the snow to make 'em bigger. If I accidentally make them too big? Roll 'em over the stone!

I've found it super efficient, and I wanted to post my set-up in case anyone else wants to prepare something similar!

Last edited:
IDK about visitors BUT...
I can say 100% for sure from experience, Snowboys WILL award DIYs to characters on your island who did not build them if they are perfect AND if the characters speak to them ON THE DAY THE SNOWBOY IS CREATED. I.E. their "birthday" (that's what they call it). Each DIY is random, all characters can get the same or different ones.

I'm guessing this is because you can only create one Snowboy per day, per island. That way, if multiple people play, the ones who didn't get to make the Snowboy can still get the DIYs. I don't think they can get Big Snowflakes, though.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably not for visitors. BUT I do have a freshly built, perfect Snowboy (I'm TTing)- if anyone wants to try, let me know, and I'll invite you.
Post automatically merged:

Snowflake DIYs are ONLY from Snowboys. You don't get them from balloons. Festive DIYs come from balloons. Totally separate sources, so no need to worry/hurry!

Again, I'm TTing, so I'm getting them all right now, lol

Also, Snowboy tip- they need a good amount of space to spawn (the snowballs, I mean). If, like me, you have a super decorated island you may need to clear space. BUT. If you do this, there's an advantage- the snowballs will spawn right beside each other, making it super easy to make your own little Snowboy factory. Here's mine:

Eogl-7yVEAEM6Kq

As you can see, they're all lined up along that cliff. I have a wide open area of snowy space, with some strips of stone pathing on the side. Roll the balls over the snow to make 'em bigger. If I accidentally make them too big? Roll 'em over the stone!

I've found it super efficient, and I wanted to post my set-up in case anyone else wants to prepare something similar!
Aren't there new DIY from December 11 thru February? Like the ice berg floor and wall. That is what I am concerned with getting in the way with Festive DIYs.

I love your tips for snowboys, my island is pretty open so the snowballs will probably be everywhere.

Aren't there new DIY from December 11 thru February? Like the ice berg floor and wall. That is what I am concerned with getting in the way with Festive DIYs.

I love your tips for snowboys, my island is pretty open so the snowballs will probably be everywhere.
Oh, goodness! It looks like there are a small handful of snowflake DIYs that come from balloons- sorry about that, I had no idea! You should still be able to get them when Festive DIYs arrive, but you'll obviously have a slimmer chance of getting any individual DIY since there will be more of them. On the bright side, it might be more productive to farm balloon DIYs then, since there will be even more to collect!

And thanks! IDK how many people may find them useful, but I've been TTing to make Snowboys and I think I've gotten pretty good at it, lol

EDIT: As I've mentioned, I'm TTing and, in regards to Festive and Snowflake DIYs overlapping...
You can get both of them at the same time from balloons, with the game giving them at random. I've been farming balloons a bit today and gotten the Ski-slope Wall, Festive Tree, and Snowflake Wreath in that order!

Last edited:
Has anyone else tried farming balloons without interracting with anything in the Nooklings' store? Last time I was farming for Autumn DIYs I just went in and out of the building and a balloon spawned every time. Was I just really lucky?

Has anyone else tried farming balloons without interracting with anything in the Nooklings' store? Last time I was farming for Autumn DIYs I just went in and out of the building and a balloon spawned every time. Was I just really lucky?

The Nook's Cranny trick is pretty much just a placebo effect. We are led to think that it spawns balloons every time. But it's not proven true.

I've always farmed balloons on the beach without the trick. There are times that I get balloons spawning every five minutes. Sometimes, it's just sparse. You just got lucky with RNG.

The only bad part of the festive season in the southern hemisphere is that the summer items in the nook store were replaced by the toy day items, so I still can't see surfboards or any other summer-related items there.

Also, question: do you guys know if the surfboard colors are exclusive to your island (like the Nook miles items)? Or they can appear in every color? Better yet, are they customizable?

The only bad part of the festive season in the southern hemisphere is that the summer items in the nook store were replaced by the toy day items, so I still can't see surfboards or any other summer-related items there.

Also, question: do you guys know if the surfboard colors are exclusive to your island (like the Nook miles items)? Or they can appear in every color? Better yet, are they customizable?

Surfboards and the retro fan, like the toys, are color-locked. They are not customizeable so you need to trade with others. You can catalog and order them, so no worries on missing out.

Reactions: Raz
Surfboards and the retro fan, like the toys, are color-locked. They are not customizeable so you need to trade with others. You can catalog and order them, so no worries on missing out.
Thanks! I have the retro fan in two colors (somebody gave me them; I think the one I don't have is the blue one). I'm looking forward to get all the surfboards cause it's a nice item to decorate the beach (which is probably the most neglected part of my island, even though the latest updates have helped a lot).

Back