• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Are you going to TIME TRAVEL?

Okay, I'm going to answer all the questions. Derp.

Why or why not? I won't be. Exception below.

Why are you going to do it? If the grass gets deteriorated enough, I will.

Why are you not going to do it? I want to PLAY the game this time. Last time in WW I kept time travel months ahead for bugs, and it ruined the game for me. Granted, I surprisingly got 100% completion on the game, sans bell amount, but still.

What are you going to do it for? Grass fixing.

Benefits of doing it? Fixing grass.

Problems caused by doing it? Loss of fun.

99% No, only by a few hours if there is no other way I can participate in an event that runs on a particular day due to commitments.

The magic, excitement of what is coming the next day/anticipation of stuff unlocking over time will be defiled removing the reason to want to turn the game on every day, if I'm time traveling I would just play lots in one day then have no desire to play again for a while as I'm not abiding by the laws of time in terms of unlocking catalog items etc.

Then there is real life time which we can not skip, once everything is unlocked the desire to play the game will be greatly minimized, we will likely be waiting another 4+ or so years before the next installment, so I might as well let the game run its course slowly rather than have it all done straight away and ultimately have to wait longer before I can start unlock new things again (in a new game).

The game corresponding to real world holidays and such is cool too.

I too wish that the game didn't allow people to time travel, for example, if a date was changed, all it would do is reset the counter and not actually change anything in game that day, and holiday events for the particular day or week would be cancelled - so time traveling will end up meaning it takes two days instead of one day for things to actually change.
Why? Because when I visit other peoples towns, and they have way more stuff than they should for the amount of time they've owned it. It makes the community or value of their villages feel fake.

If no time traveling was possible, it would mean you could collaborate with friends / others online to find the stuff your missing or desire much instead anyway, increasing the value of bells generating a meaningful trade system.
It would also increase the value of visiting others villages when they have Redd, Katrina or other random event npc's visiting.

As long as a daylight savings hour change and possibly a "please stall tomorrows event for late night" style option was added as well.

Last edited:
99% No, only by a few hours if there is no other way I can participate in an event that runs on a particular day due to commitments.

The magic, excitement of what is coming the next day/anticipation of stuff unlocking over time will be defiled removing the reason to want to turn the game on every day, if I'm time traveling I would just play lots in one day then have no desire to play again for a while as I'm not abiding by the laws of time in terms of unlocking catalog items etc.

Then there is real life time which we can not skip, once everything is unlocked the desire to play the game will be greatly minimized, we will likely be waiting another 4+ or so years before the next installment, so I might as well let the game run its course slowly rather than have it all done straight away and ultimately have to wait longer before I can start unlock new things again (in a new game).

The game corresponding to real world holidays and such is cool too.

I too wish that the game didn't allow people to time travel, for example, if a date was changed, all it would do is reset the counter and not actually change anything in game that day, and holiday events for the particular day or week would be cancelled - so time traveling will end up meaning it takes two days instead of one day for things to actually change.
Why? Because when I visit other peoples towns, and they have way more stuff than they should for the amount of time they've owned it. It makes the community or value of their villages feel fake.

If no time traveling was possible, it would mean you could collaborate with friends / others online to find the stuff your missing or desire much instead anyway, increasing the value of bells generating a meaningful trade system.
It would also increase the value of visiting others villages when they have Redd, Katrina or other random event npc's visiting.

As long as a daylight savings hour change and possibly a "please stall tomorrows event for late night" style option was added as well.

I agree so much. Why do they have the option anyway? However if they take it away, there would be a lot of angry fans.. I guess Nintendo wants to give us a choice, keep us happy and if we don't like time travellers and think they're 'cheats' (I wouldn't go so far as in to say that though), then don't play with them. Done deal. Yet... I wish there was no time traveling in the first place...

Doesn't quite work that way tho since ultimately for purists it "corrupts the economy" somewhere along the line, even if they themselves don't join players that do, somewhere along the line someone could have trickled down stuff from time travelers.

Really the only way it'd work for purists is on WiiU as a server side hosted game like Diablo 3 (safeguard from gameshark users), which if was online ONLY, obviously would create a huge uproar.

I'd be happy with people being able to experiment as they will in an offline environment, but have an online server side version as well.

To be honest, I'll try not to time travel unless I miss an event or something because of real life.

But if you had to time travel which of the following is the lesser evil?
- traveling back in time because you are busy in real life?
- traveling into the future before you go busy irl?

Last edited:
To be honest, I'll try not to time travel unless I miss an event or something because of real life.

Traveling back

I agree. If you are busy in real life, you are basically spending more time going into the future. However, if you go back for events, it's saying you didn't have time then, but now you do.

Yeah also you get more stuff to do which is a big plus!

Last edited:

Traveling back is easily the lesser of the two evils

I am just wondering.. Why is time travelling even allowed in this game?

I think it was just more or less an oversight. The game probably allows you to chance the time for things like fitting your schedule such as for people who can only play at night, so they set the time according to their schedule. It's been in the game before being able to change the schedule of the whole town, so I imagine that's why they allowed the free control of time.

They left it in because a lot of people do time travel and there is no reason to take it out at this point because time traveling doesn't affect anyone negatively.

I think another reason it is allowed is that Nintendo really can't do anything about how a person handles their own clock. They realize that some areas have daylight savings time as well, so they really can't say that you can't change the time.

In CF, they did try to give some discouragements to Time Traveling. If the system detects that you've traveled, the turnip lady may not have red turnips, the town gets overrun with weeds, and the hybrids were likely to die.

Time traveling is a term used by the AC community for when someone changes the date, it's not an actual implemented feature.

The real use for it is to adjust your calender for things like savings times or if for some reason your date isn't the correct one.
Taking advantage of it is just like taking advantage of any feature in a game. If you want to, nobody is stopping you.

I probably will time travel eventually to get holiday items that I'll most likely miss. Other than that, I don't see the usefulness of it apart from it's intended use.

I won't, except for little things like hourly adjustments, and if the shops are closed and I need to use them.

I'm guilty of time traveling a few days at a time, so this time around I'm going to try resisting the urge to do so.

I am just wondering.. Why is time travelling even allowed in this game?
Why not? Whether it's missing out on an event, the shop just closed and it's the middle of the night, missed a play-date with some villagers: time traveling is beneficial in those cases.

I'm guilty of time traveling a few days at a time, so this time around I'm going to try resisting the urge to do so.

Why not? Whether it's missing out on an event, the shop just closed and it's the middle of the night, missed a play-date with some villagers: time traveling is beneficial in those cases.

Which is why a future game should implement features to allow people to customise the timing of the shop open times / event schedules etc to suit players real life schedule instead of allowing time travelling.

I'm only going to time-travel if I missed (or know I will miss) playing a special event/holiday on its actual date; I'll also TT if I need a late-night bug or fish and I'm not planning to really stay up late. Other than that, I want to play this in real time.

EDIT: I forgot about store hours and villager visits; I'll probably do minor time-travels for those.

Last edited:
Back