• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming Week starts now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of forum members couldn't participate in most of the events, myself included. Many don't own a Switch, don't have Switch Online, or own the games needed for the tournaments. While I was recently given a Switch for Christmas I don't have Switch Online nor do I own most of the games. The Arcade was okay but considering I could only have earned 4 tickets I wasn't interested in playing.

To me this was the least inclusive, least exciting event since I joined TBT and considering the Arcade won't even be around to be an option in the future I'm not really looking forward to when the next Gaming Week rolls around.

i gotta agree with this. i appreciate jeremy mentioning that inclusiveness was difficult with this event but if game weeks become a recycled event there should be either more mini-events that don't require owning $50-$80 dollar games or less that do. if you didn't own a switch or the games involved you were only able to purchase one collectible from the shop, opposed to the 3+ that people who do own those games could. im sorry but 6 tickets max compared to 18 tickets max is just a too much of a gap.

plus the 2nd week had nothing for us to do which like, i'll live my life as usual but it's a bit poor planning lol. the arcade games were fun don't get me wrong but the whole thing felt a little... off compared to the usual events

Last edited:
So to preface this, I?d like to mention that I am someone who had a switch and had access to all the events. I had an absolute blast and this was easily one of the best events you?ve ever hosted. I actually felt like I got to meet and talk to people I?ve never even known before, and bond over games of smash/splatoon.

However I?d also like to address some complaints about this event because I really want to keep this event going!!

So first, while this event WAS locked behind a switch/online, won?t all animal crossing new horizons events be too? It?s a hard parallel to draw because this IS one of the best times to host this, with AC:NH coming out a large majority of people here should have a switch.

Second, if this isn?t the forum place to do it, which is? I would say that many people on this site (including me) LOVE nintendo and it?s games, being able to play it with others is absolutely amazing.

However that?s not to say I think we should ignore the counterpoints.

I?d like to give some solutions:

1. do a poll of what games are owned
For what it?s worth though, I think the mod team did a superb job of picking games.

2. I think game nights were perfect as is.

3. I do think that there could be more participation or people who can?t play in the events but want tickets.

I have a solution I think. I talked about pools into a tournament bracket, and a way to make a tournament more inclusive is spectating! With smash having built in streaming, it just takes one person with a tech savvy setup to be able to stream it, another person who can commentate, and allow people to predict who they think will win for tickets!! (If they aren?t in it.)

I think game nights were perfect as is.
I do think that there could be more participation for people who can?t play in the events but want tickets. I have a solution I think. I talked about pools into a tournament bracket, and a way to make a tournament more inclusive is spectating! With smash having built in streaming, it just takes one person with a tech savvy setup to be able to stream it, another person who can commentate, and allow people to predict who they think will win for tickets!! (If they aren?t in it.)

I write this post because this is one of the best events you guys have hosted in my opinion. I really want it to stick around so maybe this is a solution for some of the issues others have brought up!!

Thanks again for hosting this event mods, it was a blast.

Last edited:
^ Not that I disagree with you, cause I couldn?t care either way whether they host this event or not again, but regards to the animal crossing point-

I think it?s rather different due to the fact that this is first and foremost an animal crossing based forum. For animal crossing events you don?t NEED switch online, as a lot are photo based and you can do offline and just upload a picture of your town or whatever to to the forum. Having the majority of events be games that cost 60 bucks each (so like 120 or whatever all together) + needing switch online was probably frustrating for a few people. Again animal crossing would be different as it would be safe to assume the majority of people on an animal crossing forum would have animal crossing.

I don?t think the problem was the game choices, I think it was the lack of options to get a good amount of tickets IF you didn?t have them/couldn?t play them. It was sorta like putting access to something behind a paywall imo

Would?ve been cool to see house of mirrors or the caption contests make a return with a theme- they?re just simple things that everyone can do but don?t guarantee a prize unless you get it right.

I?d like to say again I?m not really fussed about the lack of options though, I really enjoyed the Splatoon game nights and that was enough for me. Not too fussed about the lack of collectibles I managed to get when I had a blast getting the ones I did get :)

THANKS DIZZY FOR THE BEST FUN IVE HAD GAMING IN A WHILE

- - - Post Merge - - -

ALSO, we’ve had plenty of events that weren’t suited to everyone like the never ending amount of art contests, or the egg hunt. So if this wasn’t for you, that’s cool. There will most definitely be something In the future you can do

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree you don't need online unless something would require it such as visits and multiplayer events, but yeah the switch, games are overpriced in a lot of countries and the online play shouldn't even be behind a paywall.

Although yeah it wasn't much, like arcade was fun and i enjoyed challenging people and kill time but there should def. have been maybe smaller events like those for us tbh.

So first, while this event WAS locked behind a switch/online, won’t all animal crossing new horizons events be too? It’s a hard parallel to draw because this IS one of the best times to host this, with AC:NH coming out a large majority of people here should have a switch.

the difference is this is an animal crossing forum, not a pokemon forum or mario kart or splatoon or smash forum. plus, past events typically didn't rely so heavily on owning the game and people who couldn't load up ac for whatever reason could still get their hands on several prizes

the rest of the event was fun, i just don't think it was well planned for those of us who couldn't participate in the majority of the events.

ALSO, we’ve had plenty of events that weren’t suited to everyone like the never ending amount of art contests, or the egg hunt. So if this wasn’t for you, that’s cool. There will most definitely be something In the future you can do

i don't think comparing this event to the egg hunt or art contests is comparing apples to apples, the latter 2 are free and all you need are a pencil/pen and paper which it's fair to assume everyone owns.

Last edited:
Was less of a comparison and more of a “there will be stuff in the future if this wasn’t your cup of tea”

Last edited:
i genuinely had a great time this event! i’m not a very skilled player but i really enjoyed all the events i got to participate in. i never feel like i get a lot of use out of my multiplayer games like mk8/smash/splatoon because it gets kinda boring playing alone after a while. i’m a bit on the shyer side but i felt so welcomed and included and was always so excited to play (even if it meant i would have to wake up in the middle of the night to play!) it was super fun getting to chat with everyone on discord too c: thanks to the mods for hosting and thank you to anyone i got the chance to play with/against!

hope to see another event like this again! i had a lot of fun!! :blush:

To be honest I don’t think every event needs to be super inclusive and accessible for all TBT members. If the staff plan an event that a lot of people find fun but leaves some people out, so be it. They put in a ton of work into other events to be inclusive and it shouldn’t matter that much if you can’t completely participate in the rare event.

To be honest I don’t think every event needs to be super inclusive and accessible for all TBT members. If the staff plan an event that a lot of people find fun but leaves some people out, so be it. They put in a ton of work into other events to be inclusive and it shouldn’t matter that much if you can’t completely participate in the rare event.

agreed. and i mean, even this event had elements that most people should be able to partake in - even if you don’t own pokemon or mario kart or any of that, you could still participate in the arcade games and the discord trivia, which is better than nothing. besides, there’s plenty of more inclusive events, like the bell tree fair

I agree, however I don't think there should be a bonus prize for completing everything since not everyone has access to certain games.

i had a great time this event!!! gg's to everyone who participated, i had a blast :) i'm really happy that splatoon was included, let alone salmon run! huge thanks to dizzy for including that (because it's all i play), it was really nice seeing something i'm so passionate about on here! it was very fun playing with people outside of my regular splatoon community. c:

I agree, however I don't think there should be a bonus prize for completing everything since not everyone has access to certain games.

In this scenario you could consider the tickets earned in tournament play "bonus" tickets. I personally wasn't able to collect any of these tickets because I don't own any of the games that they were holding tournaments for. That's just the way these things work. Most people are expected to just get over it and have fun with what they have.

I'm pretty upset that I didn't have the chance to get more tickets for a Moon Ball/Toy Hammer, but I still got something out of the event so I'm okay with that. :)

It's definitely a lot harder to include everyone in an event like this. We try to have different types of events throughout the year to keep things exciting. In December, there was a large one with many different types of things to do. Sometimes an event might be easier for artists to participate in, or AC collectors, or puzzle solvers. A general/Nintendo gaming event is a bit different than what we usually do. I think that's okay every now and then, especially for the TBT Weeks, which are more casual and have less prizes. Hopefully some members who might not normally do well in events had fun with this one.

Raffle Drawings!

Finally, for the very end of this event the prize shop has been closed and we're ready to draw our 4 raffle winners.

First we'll start with the Pok?ball raffle, which ended up being quite a large raffle with 1616 tickets sold!

And the winners are...
CuteYuYu and Monkey D Luffy!

Next, we'll draw two tickets from the Final Boss Feather raffle. This one had 99 tickets sold.

And the winners are...
michealsmells and Verecund!

Congrats!

FSJGDSLSK I NEVER WIN RAFFLES WHOA

congrats to all the other winners !! ! !

Last edited:
CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS OMGGGGGGGGG AND YAYYY BEN!!!! I'm so glad all your tickets weren't wasted after so many you put in omg!!!!!

Thank you so much again mods for the amazing event!!! I really had a ton of fun in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back