• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Your Opinion on Gacha Games

They never really interested me until genshin impact. The idea of paying money, so much so that I could pay hundreds and still not get a guaranteed character made me not want to play. I play genshin for the story, not so much the characters and I just genuinely like open world games. I do have to control myself sometimes as I've spent around 40 dollars already on genshin. However genshin has a horrible pity system, especially for higher adventure rank characters who don't have a way to get characters unless through real money.
Anyways all in all, wouldn't play any others then genshin.

I don’t think Gacha mechanics in games are inherently the worst. As long as they don’t impede progress they’re not a huge issue. The problem is most titles in the genre don’t interest me. I’d much rather play a dedicated console game than some mobile game with no substance. Genshin Impact is honestly the only exception. The game has too much grinding, but the world is fun to explore and the character designs are really nice.

I think some of them are really fun, but you also really have to set limits on how much you spend on each one. For example, in Genshin Impact I won't allow myself to reach over number "x" each month in terms of how much I spend. Those who are unable to control how much they spend on the game, however, should not go anywhere near them.

I decided to play my first gacha game. I played Animal Crossing Pocket Camp. And uhh... I couldn't even make it a week. The excessive amount of advertising for this and that which you can spend your Leaf Tickets on... I don't like ads. I have enough hardcore adblocking on my computer that I haven't seen ads online in many years. I did the same with my phone when I got it. So... yeah.

It also felt grindy and really wanted you to play ~every 3 hours. The older I get, the less patience I have for grindy games.

i don't mind the genre--i'll buy anything--but they could try adding fun into it along with my money.

I think they're ok. I got into Fate Grand Order because of some friends. The thing that made me like is that the budget characters can be just as viable as the more rare characters.

I have yet to play Genshin but, I heard they have a pity system unlike FGO

They're alright in my opinion. They have their problems of course, but as long as you can have fun with the free content, and the content isn't mostly hidden behind a pay wall, then I think it's fine

Don't really like them; it's practically gambling, since it involves real money.

I don't mind paying money towards a productive cause, one where I stand to get something in exchange, something valuable. In that sense, I prefer trading over gambling. For example, I paid money for access to a treasure island on ACNH because I wanted to get as many bells as possible to move around the buildings on my island; I know what I'm paying for and I know what I'm getting into. Gambling or gacha games don't have such a luxury. Your rewards are random or even worthless.

There's a limit to how much I'm paying for a treasure island because I only need so many bells to never work again for the next 6 months or so. With gacha, there's no limit. It's a system that tempts you to keep paying for good and better stuff.

Last edited:
This is relevant because I've unfortunately fallen victim to the gacha curse and because of it, I'm unable to purchase a good that I was interested in because I need to save some cash for food and school. I'm definitely kicking myself over it, considering that I spent so much money to try and get a character skin, which I didn't end up getting, that I'm unable to buy something with more value that I actually want. I know that I'm the exact type of person that gacha games target, too. I have terrible FOMO and as much as I say "it's only a few dollars," once those "few dollars" stack up, it's devastating. I'm going to either delete the games or disconnect my card from my Google account, which would be a bit inconvenient because I use Google Pay quite a lot.

I don't like them. If a game is going to have in-app purchases, I prefer it to be upfront about what you're getting, not a random prize that preys on people with addictive personalities or gambling habits. I never pay for these loot boxes or garbage mechanics. I will however, pay for in-game purchases that advertise *exactly* what I'm getting for my money.

I like the ones I play (most optc) because they’re fun. But the constant events burns me out. I used to play more competitively but have slowed down because it demands too much time. I love collecting units of my favorite characters. I just hate how every single one had to implement an arena of some time and has some form of coop. I quit some games I tried out since they required you to play coop in order to get the summoning currency reward.I played Bleach brave souls and had a lot of really bad experiences with coop.

I hate those games lol

They just don't appeal to me. I am a very logical person and the idea of gambling doesn't make sense to me so I try to avoid it at all costs because I always assume I will get the short end of the stick. I was never the type of kid to play the claw game or any arcade game/toy vending machine because I always felt like those were designed for you to fail or not get what you want, so you just keep putting more money in the machine and not get anything out of it. Plus I have never liked the idea of paying for something virtual in a mobile game. For an actual video game on a PC or other console is different because you own this game and you spend hours playing it so buying a video game is worth it, but gatcha games come and go and are not rewarding at all in the long run. I also don't play any mobile game anyways and only play video games on consoles.

Back