• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Your Favorite Cetaceans

What are your favorite types of cetaceans?

• Baiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beluga Whale

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Bowhead Whale

• Dolphin (any)

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Gray Whale

• Humpback Whale

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Narwhal

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Orca

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Porpoise

• Sperm Whale

• Other Real Species (Specify in post)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Other (Fictional, Specify in post)

• An extinct cetacean we know existed by their fossils

• Space Whale Plush

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Halloqueen

is manifesting hybrid roses
Bells
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
There have been an awful lot of whales around the forums lately; the Space Whale Plush, the Whale reaction, and a whole Camp Bell Tree 2023 crew themed around whales in the International Space Cetacean.

Cetaceans are the infraorder of aquatic mammals that include such creatures as dolphins, whales, and porpoises. Click here for a convenient list of cetaceans. Click here as well for a convenient list of extinct cetaceans that we know existed by their fossils.

You can also include individual dolphins/whales/etc. whether real or from media.

---

In terms of species, I think the narwhal is pretty neat thanks to its horn. I also thought sperm whales looked pretty cool compared to the rest when I was trying to find a whale to draw for my entry in the designing a flag thread in the International Space Cetacean quarters.

Shoutout to the extinct Ambulocetus and Kutchicetus for saying "I'm gonna go on land now." The Basilosaurus and Dorudon are also cool for looking like sea monsters.

As for individuals, I'll go with Laboon from One Piece.

Last edited:
My favourite cetacean is the orca. A close second is the narwhal. My love of orcas is extended to even Pokemon with...

Kyogre!
4mcmjpq0q0b61.jpg

Kyogre is one of my top favs so I needed to give a shoutout to it!

My favourite cetacean is the orca. A close second is the narwhal. My love of orcas is extended to even Pokemon with...

Kyogre!
View attachment 508472

Kyogre is one of my top favs so I needed to give a shoutout to it!
I forgot about Kyogre when creating the thread. Kyogre is also awesome and one of my favorites next to Laboon from One Piece then.

I love cetaceans bc their evolution pattern suggests that they were ocean dwelling mammals, decided at one point that they would become terrestrial mammals and adapt all those characteristics, and then said "**** it" and went back to living in the ocean while still needing to breathe air and still having the bone structure of a largely terrestrial mammal. they're pretty amazing haha.

that being said, I love orcas. I'm glad Snek brought up Kyogre because he's definitely one of the best legendary pokemon ever 💙

Orcas. They are so cool looking.

I also really like belugas and humpbacks. Belugas have a cute face and you don't find too many white animals in nature. Humpbacks are so chill and graceful looking yet massive and there are so many art pieces that depict them in the sky or space.

After checking out the list in the op, I want to make the honorable mentions of Dusky Dolphin and Hourglass Dolphin. They look neat.

Last edited:
what a good poll and thread, haha. throwing a vote out for river dolphins which have fascinated me since i was a kid and are frequently critically endangered :((, but narwhals are also v compelling! you are right about the horn.

also shout out to this extinct lad. truly so many shapes all at once. og killer whale, zygophyseter, you have so much going for you, including your cool as heck name.
1692312949965.png

Orcas.

Did you know that they weren’t originally called “killer whales”, but instead were called “whale killers”? Mistranslation is what made us assume that orcas are whales.

they’re all pretty cool in their own way, but beluga whales are my personal favourite. i’ve always thought that they’re adorable, and they seem like such silly little babies (i know they could kill me if they wanted to, but still LOL). i mean, just look at their little faces 🩶

IMG_2865.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

dolphins, humpback whales, and orcas are also a few of my favourites! this thread actually inspired me to do a little bit of research on cetaceans as well, extinct and ancient ones specifically, and i think i would’ve liked phiomicetus if i had been around 42-43 million years ago. them having four legs is so weird to me lol, but i like their creepy underwater dinosaur kinda vibes
IMG_2750.png

IMG_2867.jpeg

i say this knowing i’d be terrified if i ever saw one in front of me LMAO

The Whale Shark, of course!!! They are incredible!! Best whale ever! 🌟

View attachment 508644
They deserve a human-free ocean, to be honest.
Whale Sharks are indeed awesome and deserving of all the love and affection (look at that cutie patootie face) but they are unfortunately not actually cetaceans. Cetaceans are mammals, while sharks, of which the whale shark is a member, are fish. The whale in the whale shark's name is just in reference to its size, as it's the largest known fish currently alive on the planet today.

Whale Sharks are indeed awesome and deserving of all the love and affection (look at that cutie patootie face) but they are unfortunately not actually cetaceans. Cetaceans are mammals, while sharks, of which the whale shark is a member, are fish. The whale in the whale shark's name is just in reference to its size, as it's the largest known fish currently alive on the planet today.
😯 Today I learned! I was under the impression that they weren't actually sharks and were actually whales! But now that I think about it, of course they're not whales because they don't have a blowhole.. I feel silly now.

I'm going to change my vote to the Blue Whale, because they are absolute units!

Runner-up is whatever species 52 Blue is, because I think about them all the time 💙 Hope they aren't truly lonely.

Thumpback from Skylanders is actually pretty rad. This in the context of camp 2023 definitely gives me an idea for a repaint

I love them all but I'd have to say my favorite is the Blue Whale. They are so beautiful, so sleek, and so massive. Truly gorgeous creatures.

1692424317198.png

My second place was a tough choice. Belugas, orcas, and narwhal are all very cool, but I have a special appreciation for the Amazon River Dolphin and its goofy expressions.
1692425100796.png

1692425148626.png

Back