• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Worst changes in HD remakes?

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
An HD remake doesn’t just improve the graphics. It also fixes some features, expands the game, or patches some bugs. But while they change for the better, some changes are bad. And some redesigns don’t look as good as the original, low-quality design.

What are some examples where an HD remake of a game screwed up on something?

In Spyro Reignited Trilogy, I hate how they made everything seem too easy, mostly in Spyro 3 that is. Look at the Boxing Yeti fight, in the original that was BRUTAL! Nowadays he's nothing more but a punching bag, I don't like that...

Even more, is that everyone can agree the 2nd boss in Spyro 3, Spike was a very difficult boss. Now they made it seem like a cakewalk.

I'll still like the game, but I won't forgive the change in the difficulty spike.

Here are some of mine:

Ocarina of Time - not necessarily bad, but some changes I didn’t like were that some stores in the market town looked fancier on the outside, or that ship in the Shadow Temple had its bird statue replaced with a tall skeleton. That looks unrealistic.

Sly Cooper Collection - they took out the designers’ commentaries, making the master thief sprints pointless. Also, the music in the level Two to Tango was ruined. I also kinda liked the unfitting music in A Grave Undertaking in the first game.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. There's nothing brilliant about these games. They're lazy remasters that don't add much from the originals. They stayed too faithful to a fault and kept outdated features instead of taking what was there and modernizing the game. Plus the chibi art style they went with is awful, the blurry effect to show "far away" is distracting, and the Pokemon/character models look too shiny and plastic.

You know you've messed up a game when people recommend the originals over it.

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. There's nothing brilliant about these games. They're lazy remasters that don't add much from the originals. They stayed too faithful to a fault and kept outdated features instead of taking what was there and modernizing the game. Plus the chibi art style they went with is awful, the blurry effect to show "far away" is distracting, and the Pokemon/character models look too shiny and plastic.

Didn’t they also remove a feature from the original Shining/Pearl where you can make custom labels by spelling unowns?

In Spyro Reignited Trilogy, I hate how they made everything seem too easy, mostly in Spyro 3 that is. Look at the Boxing Yeti fight, in the original that was BRUTAL! Nowadays he's nothing more but a punching bag, I don't like that...

Even more, is that everyone can agree the 2nd boss in Spyro 3, Spike was a very difficult boss. Now they made it seem like a cakewalk.

I'll still like the game, but I won't forgive the change in the difficulty spike.
I honestly never found Spike hard. Let me say though with Reignited I hate the additions of the memes. I hate so much of those remakes but literally does anyone like the skeleton floss lol, whoever was in charge of Skelos really liked memes because the catbats are clearly redesigned after Grumpy Cat too

I don’t like some of the music changes in Crash N Sane Trilogy but in the bee level bonus round they just skipped over some of the music notes and like why? It just sounds bad. I don’t like the addition of the running shoes to Crash 2 either actually. But the issues I have with that remake are more nitpicky.

Here’s another one that was bad:

Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Let’s Go Eevee.

In comparison to Pokémon Yellow, it seems to be a drastic improvement. But there are only two faults, and they are big:
  • The wild encounters were replaced with Pokémon GO mechanics.
  • The Game Corner was turned into an arcade, with no playable mini-games.
We probably have warmed up to Pokémon Let’s Go over time, given all of the controversies future Pokémon switch games had, but it still came out in a time that we’re fed up with the Gen 1 pandering. And these changes were examples of how bad an HD remake can get.

Okay, you know with ORAS people complain about the frontier but my issue is how much easier they are than Emerald. They kind of track with RS but they changed enough that it’s just too easy overall. Honestly, that’s my biggest issue with gen 6. I didn’t have much problem with the amount of content. The contests were never the greatest thing but they were definitely more fun in the originals as well (aside from the sheen garbage).

also in Spyro, hate how the epilogues wre cut

The worst part of the Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is that there's no hint or a post game that involves Platinum storyline or a plot about Giratina with Arceus. Or the fact that BD/SP never had quality of life updates that were featured in Platinum.

OR/AS at least have the Delta Episode which features Rayquaza and Deoxys and a new storyline that ties it together.

If you want a definitive Gen 4 Pokemon experience, just play Pokemon Platinum.

The worst part of the Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is that there's no hint or a post game that involves Platinum storyline or a plot about Giratina with Arceus. Or the fact that BD/SP never had quality of life updates that were featured in Platinum.

OR/AS at least have the Delta Episode which features Rayquaza and Deoxys and a new storyline that ties it together.

If you want a definitive Gen 4 Pokemon experience, just play Pokemon Platinum.
I fully agree, and that's exactly what I've been doing. I've played Pearl as a kid/teen but wanted to experience the Giratina storyline and have been enjoying the game a lot! I know I wouldn't be having this much fun if I spent another $90 CAD to play the lazy remakes. The art style alone is enough to turn me off but knowing it's just half baked anyway, really seals the deal.

Several of the Spyro Reignited redesigns are awful. Sheila in particular.
In general, I don't understand why they needed to add human clothing to nearly every single character, especially the dragons. One of the main things I loved about Spyro in the first place was that the dragons were clearly dragons - now they're more like anthro dragons.

They also completely butchered Hunter's character. He was a dopey character who meant well. In the remake, he's just another skater dude. In particular, I was disappointed in the 'I tried' scene - the joke was lost entirely thanks to his new personality.

Removal of features that were iconic in the original is one of the more annoying things in most remakes.

This post was made with the sole intent of complaining about how they removed the "play with Mario's face" mini-game in the DS version of Super Mario 64. Why did Shigeru Miyamoto do this to hurt me specifically?!

I don't know if this even counts as an HD remake, but the graphics are definitely better. When Bowser's Inside Story was remade, I think the music took an extreme hit when compared to the original. If you compare them I think they sound way worse. It's pretty obvious that they're higher quality, but they're still very disappointing compared to their original counterparts.

Actually, the entire remake is unnecessary since you can already play this game on 3DS since it's originally a DS game.

Edit: never mind. I’ve warmed up to this game recently.

Last edited:
Final. Fantasy. VII. Remake.
My abhorred. My object of great disgust. The only reason I can’t say I “don’t hate any video games”.

Where do I even start? It’s full of filler, dragged out into an unnecessary trilogy. The art direction is all over the place and the characterisation and character design don’t evoke the original one bit. The English voice acting performances are honestly shameful. The story is completely different from the original’s, focused on cheap drama and surprise, and panders to all of the different fan preferences simultaneously in a rotten fruit salad of jumbled-up, disjointed ideas and plot sinkholes. (SEPHIROTH IN CHAPTER 1?!? what in the world.) Not to mention messy integration of plot elements from the Compilation and all the timeline shenanigans. I feel bad for the poor devs who had to work on this for so long and see it turn out this way, I feel bad about the huge budget that was spent on it, I feel bad for Nomura who had an actually good idea (make a faithful remake? Imagine!) and was shouldered out of it, and I’m bitter than FF7 probably won’t get a real remake now.
All I wanted was FF8 Remastered but FF7. They didn’t have to do all this it did not make FF7 any better

phew.
feels good to get all that out
However! We do get more merch because of it! And I can cherry-pick the stuff that’s basically generic FF7 merch and carry it around like the baby Simba. I adore the plushies and dream of them adding Rufus and the Turks (Reno!!!) to the line-up one day.

hmfomt->sosfomt has a lot of issues

ignoring that i can’t stand 90% of the redesigns, they took out rival events. rival events are one of the things that drew me to the series, i liked watching the other bachelors and bachelorettes get together. now it feels like i solely am in control of everything. marvelous also got rid of a lot of the little things that made the first so funny to me, you used to be able to put down like 1 single golden lumber on your field and the entire town would just show up at your door everyday and yell at you? and replace your name with like witch or moneybags?? it was hilarious. now the game is just bland. i’ve watched enough from it to know i wouldn’t enjoy it. i haven’t really enjoyed a story of seasons game since trio of towns, and this one is not inspiring me to try to pick up another.

Back