• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Why so narrow minded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all majnin! I think your option is indeed brilliant! Sincerely. That's why you've been tasked with yet another... ^.^

ZanessaGaily your concept is not so complex as to be deemed incomprehensible. You are a person of non-white descent, who happens to be "ok" with being represented as a person of white descent - while gaming at least. You don't see what all the controversy (for lack of a better word) and energy is about. You've made it abundantly clear that you do NOT want to be grouped with those of us troublemaking persons of perceived color. Correct? I get the feeling that you're afraid this is, or has become, just another inflated race issue, along with a lot of the others who minimize the significance of this issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to misrepresent you, even in my mind. =}

Some people just get used to being a certain way in a game. I'll give you an example, I'm female but in Mabinogi if it wasn't for my special Vocaloid Rin hair I'd change into a guy (in this game you can rebirth and change your appearance and gender almost whenever) so fast it's not even funny. I'm tempted in using my extra Vocaloid Rin/Len card to just be a guy with Len hair instead of a girl with Rin hair (it's just... Len's hair is rendered a bit weird to me, would need some getting used to). I have a lot of good memories with being a guy in that game, but in other games like AC I tend to prefer being a girl because my best memories of the game were me as a girl. And even in Mabinogi, although lately I want to go back to being a guy, being a girl is fine and has it's own comforts. Some games I rather be a girl, in others I rather be a guy. In real life I don't care either way.

Some people would never want to be the other gender because to them gender matters. Mine doesn't. If I was born into this world as a man (I can only imagine) I'd be ok with it, being born as a woman I'm ok with also. Some people just don't care about what their character's race is or race in general just like some don't care about gender. They'll just take whatever is available or whatever they're most used to when given the choice. No point in fighting for something you don't even want, that's the beauty of freedom. It seemed to me like you were trying to make her feel bad about her position: "I'm just glad our founding civil activists didn't share your same level of comfort in disenfranchised obscurity. No worries, there were house slaves who apathetically refused to buck the system too. Why do you think that is?" And that seems uncalled for and a bit mean imo.

To summarize... What I'm trying to say is that maybe she's just used to being a certain way in AC so she sees no reason to fight for being something she wouldn't be used to. It'd be like me trying to fight for a female mage in a game that has a gender lock making you a male mage. It'd be pointless for me to fight for. Just because someone is comfortable in a situation you don't like doesn't mean they're living badly or worse than you.

Last edited:
Haha thank you Batossi. Also you like Lionel (it's on your signature) so I have 111000% more respect for you ;)

ZanessaGaily your concept is not so complex as to be deemed incomprehensible. You are a person of non-white descent, who happens to be "ok" with being represented as a person of white descent - while gaming at least. You don't see what all the controversy (for lack of a better word) and energy is about. You've made it abundantly clear that you do NOT want to be grouped with those of us troublemaking persons of perceived color. Correct? I get the feeling that you're afraid this is, or has become, just another inflated race issue, along with a lot of the others who minimize the significance of this issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to misrepresent you, even in my mind. =}

I can see where you guys are coming from, "we should have it, there's no excuse for it" but I just.. don't care.. I got used to not being black in games. What would I be afraid of, anyways? Getting the option and "finally" being my own color?

- - - Post Merge - - -

To summarize... What I'm trying to say is that maybe she's just used to being a certain way in AC so she sees no reason to fight for being something she wouldn't be used to. It'd be like me trying to fight for a female mage in a game that has a gender lock making you a male mage. It'd be pointless for me to fight for. Just because someone is comfortable in a situation you don't like doesn't mean they're living badly or worse than you.

Not just in AC, but in every game I've ever played.

Some people just get used to being a certain way in a game. I'll give you an example, I'm female but in Mabinogi if it wasn't for my special Vocaloid Rin hair I'd change into a guy (in this game you can rebirth and change your appearance and gender almost whenever) so fast it's not even funny. I'm tempted in using my extra Vocaloid Rin/Len card to just be a guy with Len hair instead of a girl with Rin hair (it's just... Len's hair is rendered a bit weird to me, would need some getting used to). I have a lot of good memories with being a guy in that game, but in other games like AC I tend to prefer being a girl because my best memories of the game were me as a girl. And even in Mabinogi, although lately I want to go back to being a guy, being a girl is fine and has it's own comforts. Some games I rather be a girl, in others I rather be a guy. In real life I don't care either way.

Some people would never want to be the other gender because to them gender matters. Mine doesn't. If I was born into this world as a man (I can only imagine) I'd be ok with it, being born as a woman I'm ok with also. Some people just don't care about what their character's race is or race in general just like some don't care about gender. They'll just take whatever is available or whatever they're most used to when given the choice. No point in fighting for something you don't even want, that's the beauty of freedom. It seemed to me like you were trying to make her feel bad about her position: "I'm just glad our founding civil activists didn't share your same level of comfort in disenfranchised obscurity. No worries, there were house slaves who apathetically refused to buck the system too. Why do you think that is?" And that seems uncalled for and a bit mean imo.

Firstly, well said. I understand entirely.

Secondly, I wasn't trying to be mean - my apologies if that's how it came off. I simply wanted to challenge the precepts, just in case it was in fact a comfort issue, and not merely apathy. Thank you for your input. =}

I can see where you guys are coming from, "we should have it, there's no excuse for it" but I just.. don't care.. I got used to not being black in games. What would I be afraid of, anyways? Getting the option and "finally" being my own color?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not just in AC, but in every game I've ever played.

i understand. Its not an issue for you. I'm sorry if you felt besieged, that wasn't my intention in the least.

Ugh Animal Crossing is a children's game. It's an innocent children's game. Bringing sexuality into makes it so much more complicated than it needs to be and takes the innocence away (which is one of the main reasons why I like it so much). Seriously, this game allows you to wear whatever you want, change your hair to whatever you want, and you're complaining that the villagers can't be lesbian/gay? Really? It's not like they even have romantic relationships in the first place... This thread is so ridiculous.

Ugh Animal Crossing is a children's game. It's an innocent children's game. Bringing sexuality into makes it so much more complicated than it needs to be and takes the innocence away (which is one of the main reasons why I like it so much). Seriously, this game allows you to wear whatever you want, change your hair to whatever you want, and you're complaining that the villagers can't be lesbian/gay? Really? It's not like they even have romantic relationships in the first place... This thread is so ridiculous.

I agree on the sexuality bit. Kapp'n is already pushing it with his constant hitting on me. x.x I mean I'm 22 but imagine a 9 yr old playing.... eurgh. I don't think we're ready as a society in general to have themes of sexuality in a game with such a broad spectrum of players. While I don't think two men or women in love is any more explicit or sexual than a man and a woman in love, I'm unfortunately the minority. The world has to change before AC does.

Now. As for the skin tone. Nintendo there is just no excuse in any game anymore. I think they tried to include everyone with the tanning feature but it's such a hassle to maintain.

I agree on the sexuality bit. Kapp'n is already pushing it with his constant hitting on me. x.x I mean I'm 22 but imagine a 9 yr old playing.... eurgh. I don't think we're ready as a society in general to have themes of sexuality in a game with such a broad spectrum of players. While I don't think two men or women in love is any more explicit or sexual than a man and a woman in love, I'm unfortunately the minority. The world has to change before AC does.

Now. As for the skin tone. Nintendo there is just no excuse in any game anymore. I think they tried to include everyone with the tanning feature but it's such a hassle to maintain.

Hear, hear on both Bea. But I'm done beating a dead horse, as it were.

Though I must admit I'm always amused by those who scoff at a thread, yet still feel compelled to post in it. That just proves the thread's effectiveness. G'day all. =}

I agree on the sexuality bit. Kapp'n is already pushing it with his constant hitting on me. x.x I mean I'm 22 but imagine a 9 yr old playing.... eurgh. The

9 year olds nowadays are taking nude pics and 'woohoo'ing. (Sims thing, you know what it really means..)

Not necessarily "compelled." Right now it could be "nothing better to do."

Broad brush fallacy. Ad hom. Straw Man. The logical fallacies abound. :)

Me - I don't care. I just am bored for a few minutes after cleaning. Not compelled...just bored and I happen to be here.

This is the best post.
Dang you guys....

popcorn.gif

It's just a game!
Personally, I think K'napp is odd but it makes him a funny character to me.

I'm a pale-skinned straight woman who loves AC as it is.
I would welcome any option to have a different skin-tone in future AC games though.

If you want a gay/bi/lesbian character, CROSS DRESS YOUR CHARACTER or SAY THEY ARE!
I mean technically the character in the game is you.

I have a gay guy friend who plays Animal Crossing and wears to normal boys clothing but once in awhile he'll wear a dress or skirt that he likes.

Guys, this really isn't an appropriate thing to debate on our site.

If you wanna talk about this stuff, do it in a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back