Why so narrow minded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
aghhhhh you dont understand, i didnt want to do anything else, and the standing on the island thing should not have even been a thing i had to do to get my character the way i wanted.
also if you had bothered to read my other post, i said that it wasnt the only thing that ruined the game for me

and why do people keep acting like "omg its not a big deal its just skin color wow much petty"
ok, its not that big a deal to you obviously, but if you could not crap all over what other people feel strongly about that would be great

Dang you guys....

popcorn.gif

Dang you guys....

popcorn.gif

this omg

but i understand everyones opinions c:

and even though you arent given a choice at the start of the game, you are given a choice though out the game to get a tan the way you would like it.

Political correctness is cancer.

While I'm not personally offended (simply slightly bummed) by a lack of skin colour choice, I'd be careful with posting blanket statements like this. Political correctness isn't distinctly defined, and at some point considering people of colour as significant to society (and therefore should be given the right to vote) was defined as 'political correctness', rather than common decency.

I'm just trying to say that blanket statements are terribly offensive when walking the fine line between political correctness and human rights.

If one thing proves the player character isn't white, it's the fact that 5 hours in tropical sunlight results in brown, and not cherry red. Or purple; I actually have seen a man so burnt he was red-violet. Got that way from gardening he said.

DISCLAIMER: The above comment is intended to be facetious. Except the purple guy part, that totally happened.

im still very disappointed that something so incredibly simple as skin color choice is not a thing in animal crossing.
even pokemon has it now /:
i was one of those people that left my DS open for so many hours a day on the island to get a tan, which is incredibly boring when all you want to do is go mainland and improve your town. this really ruined my experience of the game.

No offense, but your initial post made it seem like the lack of skintone/tanning was what made you hate the game since you failed to mention other aspects of the game you found equally unpalatable.

Okay, I'm done with this thread. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I very much respect that. I just wanted to point out that I thought it was a bit silly to hate the game because you didn't want to spend hours tanning. >_>

I came up with an idea for the skin colour thing:

At the beginning of the game you come across Blanca. She obviously, has no eyes so is blind, so you have to describe what you look like to her. Then you can pick your skin colour, hair colour, eye shape ect. I just came up with it for some reason haha.

I never listen to Kapp's songs; I sat through them once until I found out I could skip them and never looked back. As for the whole "narrow-minded" implications, I sadly have gotten used to games auto-assuming what you are interested in. It's not a game-breaker for me, though, as there is plenty of fun to be had elsewhere.

I personally think it's awesome how the neighbors are when they comment on guys wearing "female-only" clothes and say "Only you could pull that off" or "Of course it's okay for guys to wear dresses and make-up!" I haven't tried a female character wearing "male only" clothes yet, but I hope it's just as positive.

Lastly, I agree that there should be a skin tone setting for all games where you customize characters. A bunch of light-skinned player-characters gets boring in my opinion. Even if there was something like as soon as you start tanning, you go to like Harriet and she has something to help you maintain the tan or unlocks a tanning machine would be a step forward (option to choose would be better, but its a step).

I like the whole tanning concept in general, but it is a poor way to deal with different skin colors, if that even was Nintendo's intention. I would like it if they kept the tanning feature, and have your base color chosen at character creation (one discussion I saw suggested asking how sunny your home was).

Although, I kinda wish we could get non human skintones too, like green or blue. Just stick the character in a dye vat like an easter egg XD

Last edited:
Let me start off with pointing out that I am a straight, white, English female - you can't really get more plain than that.

I do agree that there should be a skin colour slider so we could choose our ethnicity, I'd quite like to have another character who is a different colour than me.
In MMOs I sometimes choose to play as a male character and/or a 'character of colour' (not sure how politically correct I have to be on here). I know I'm not the only person like this and I think it would be wonderful to be able to choose our skin colour but the tanning thing needs to be kept in too, just because it adds a little bit of realism.
I know it wouldn't be hard for them to add such a thing to the game and it wouldn't surprise me if it turned up in the next AC. Especially now with Pokemon's example.

On Kapp'n, although in western versions of the game he's referred to as a turtle, in Japan he's a Kappa - a mythical creature that steals children and loves to eat cucumbers - so by definition he would be creepy.

I also think that Gracie should be kept as male but it seems to be a bit like Birdo from the Mario series. I think even in the manual for one of the games it said that he was a gay cross-dresser but for western releases he was changed to a girl.

In ways Japan is more open-minded than the west, but it falls behind on the gender equality issue. Nobody's perfect.

I believe you think far too deep in to the game. It's a game for crying out loud.

Clarify, if you would, please, whether you are vehemently against the concept of a skin color choice option being introduced in future games, or if you are simply playing devil's advocate.

It can be an option, but I'd never use it. But I'm arguing on a side where I can care less about skin tone. The only difference is that I'm black and people would probably only think people who aren't light-skinned would want a skin choice option.

- - - Post Merge - - -

how did all of this happen...?

I'm not white and i ain't complaining.

Same here. I got used to never being black in a game, so I'm used to the "white skin color" option.

Last edited:
I came up with an idea for the skin colour thing:

At the beginning of the game you come across Blanca. She obviously, has no eyes so is blind, so you have to describe what you look like to her. Then you can pick your skin colour, hair colour, eye shape ect. I just came up with it for some reason haha.
Brilliant! Problem solved, majnin, you're hired! Now onto world hunger, you can do it! ^^

It can be an option, but I'd never use it. But I'm arguing on a side where I can care less about skin tone. The only difference is that I'm black and people would probably only think people who aren't light-skinned would want a skin choice option.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Same here. I got used to never being black in a game, so I'm used to the "white skin color" option.

Then by all means enjoy your invisibility, that is your right too. I'm just glad our founding civil activists didn't share your same level of comfort in disenfranchised obscurity. No worries, there were house slaves who apathetically refused to buck the system too. Why do you think that is?

Annnd I know this is "only a game", but stop to consider how pivotal gaming is to our culture today? Video gaming is the storytelling around the communal fire of yesterday; the folk songs sung during migrations; the newspapers of infant urbanization; the radio heralding the birth of technology. Except that where the others mostly involved the adult strata of their respective societies, gaming transcends all. It is a major contributor in the shaping of minds, and as such it has a responsibility. One the press used to embody...

Oppression is an insidious spider - this isn't about political correctness; to see it so is the epitome of "narrow-mindedness" - its about the inalienable right of ALL to equal representation. To respect everyone as equals with the same consideration, influence, voice, validity, and yes, power. Point blank. Its a sad commentary on the culture of today when its perceived as insignificant for anyone to be devalued. Even more tragic when the one being so, is blind to it. Ah but ignorance is bliss...

As a society, we should stop focusing on the stranger's candy, and acknowledge the boarded up van we're being led too. "He who has ears, let him hear..." Adieu =}

I'm gonna stop replying because I don't really like to talk to people who don't understand what I'm trying to say.

Batossi is that sarcasm I detect?

Not at all majnin! I think your option is indeed brilliant! Sincerely. That's why you've been tasked with yet another... ^.^

I'm gonna stop replying because I don't really like to talk to people who don't understand what I'm trying to say.

ZanessaGaily your concept is not so complex as to be deemed incomprehensible. You are a person of non-white descent, who happens to be "ok" with being represented as a person of white descent - while gaming at least. You don't see what all the controversy (for lack of a better word) and energy is about. You've made it abundantly clear that you do NOT want to be grouped with those of us troublemaking persons of perceived color. Correct? I get the feeling that you're afraid this is, or has become, just another inflated race issue, along with a lot of the others who minimize the significance of this issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to misrepresent you, even in my mind. =}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back