Votes: 30 44.8%
  • South/east

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters

misstayleigh

Bells
Switch
2463-1606-8999
Currently residing in resetting hell and as I'm looking at map after map (after map), I am wondering what folks' personal preferences for river openings are? And why?

when i was choosing a map i didn't really care between south/west and south/east just as long as the river flowed the way i wanted through the island and they both weren't south river exits as it would leave smaller strips of land on either side of them.

I chose South/South because that's the only qualifier I had for a map.

I have the south and south personally for my main game and it’s such a challenge to terraform it but in terms of gameplay, it’s the best for me. I have a second island I share with family which is south and west and I hate playing on it because I can’t run around the shore straight farming balloons when there’s an event and I dunno it’s just seems kinda darker around the island like it’s not as open. I dunno. Maybe it’s just me.

For my map I chose two south facing rivers because I just liked the way they looked, but I think if I were to have a second town I'd pick one of the other configurations. Not because I don't like the two south facing, but just to mix it up. Ultimately it's a matter of what looks nice to you. The two south facing ones was just the most symmetrical looking to me.

I have the south and south personally for my main game and it’s such a challenge to terraform it but in terms of gameplay, it’s the best for me. I have a second island I share with family which is south and west and I hate playing on it because I can’t run around the shore straight farming balloons when there’s an event and I dunno it’s just seems kinda darker around the island like it’s not as open. I dunno. Maybe it’s just me.
For this map I chose two south facing rivers because I just liked the way they looked, but I think if I were to have a second town I'd pick one of the other configurations. Not because I don't like the two south facing, but just to mix it up. Ultimately it's a matter of what looks nice. The two south facing ones was just the most symmetrical looking to me.

I agree with both of you. I also picked the dual south facing layout because it just felt the most open to me. I'm enjoying so far the creativity of utilizing the narrow strips of land to come up with a unique design with terraforming and changing the flow of the rivers. Sometimes I wonder if I made the wrong choice and if I would have preferred one of the other river mouth layouts, but I needed to have my residential services building exactly centered in the middle of my map (horizontally) and it's only possible as far as I've seen with the duel south river mouths.

Im contemplating restarting my town because of my map, my rivers suck tbh

looking at these votes is so interesting. i didn't think south/west was the least favorite! i love s/w maps for no reason other than they all seemed balanced in terms of possible pennisula and rock formations (which matter a lot to me) and seem to have a lot of middle map space which i needed for my terraforming ideas.

do agree that the beaches placements/ease of running them is fruuustrating tho. lol

I agree with both of you. I also picked the dual south facing layout because it just felt the most open to me. I'm enjoying so far the creativity of utilizing the narrow strips of land to come up with a unique design with terraforming and changing the flow of the rivers. Sometimes I wonder if I made the wrong choice and if I would have preferred one of the other river mouth layouts, but I needed to have my residential services building exactly centered in the middle of my map (horizontally) and it's only possible as far as I've seen with the duel south river mouths.
I was the same way tbh. My RS building is mostly centered in my town. I just like symmetry lol. And the south facing offers the most of it imo.

South/west resonated with me the most (maybe because these were my river outings in NL as well) but I've seen beautiful islands with all the different outing options!

My river flows to the south and the west. My new leaf was south/East.

My river exits are in the south and west. When I was looking at sample maps before starting the game, those were the ones that spoke to me the most. I've seen people do cool stuff with south/south rivers, but I never got a good setup for one and I didn't feel like resetting all night.

Anything but south/south is fantastic. It takes away so much place. I don't really care about where my river flows, but west to east feels natural.

I wanted a south/west river going into this game and that is what I picked. While I do like the symmetry that south/south provides, I don't like how it will leave thin strips of land on either side.

You know, I didn't really think all that hard about it. But I chose south/south, because I liked how it had kind of a central little "island" with resident services on it. That's become my town center area, with the shops, some villagers, gardens, etc. It's more wild and less planned out beyond the river.
The strips of land to the side are a little hard to work with, but I feel like they create more discrete areas instead of big, open tracts of land.

Back