• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Which character customization would you prefer?

Customization Options

• Questions

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Pick and choose

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
The game is Japanese. They aren't the kindest to the LGBT community there, I don't care how caring and down to earth Nintendo themselves are. They can't and won't do anything that would go against the social norm over there.

You might as well just write the game off now because they will continue to be as clear cut as possible on these matters, even though it goes against progression.

happy pride month to you too xoxo
japanese lgbt people exist too btw.
gender policing affects straight people too btw.
my post wasn't really up for debate and I'm not really interested in your opinion on it.
anyway. bye

Last edited:
happy pride month to you too xoxo
japanese lgbt people exist too btw.
gender policing affects straight people too btw.
anyway. bye

So instead of discussing the matter, you resort to passive-aggressive remarks and assumptions about my knowledge of the matter and then ultimately bail? Well whatever.

So instead of discussing the matter, you resort to passive-aggressive remarks and assumptions about my knowledge of the matter and then ultimately bail? Well whatever.

i wasn't. your reply now is tho. i think i made it clear that i'm not interested in a discussion nor your opinion considering you think "that's just how it is there" is being woke and me not even talking about japan-only, makes it pretty clear that a "discussion" will be a waste of my time and energy. i'm not that invested talking to people that try to deny and downplay my experience.
you don't have to reply to every post.

I'll miss the questionnaire but I think they need to give us a personal character customizer from the beginning.

My apologies if I offended anyone. I approached this discussion with a harsh tone and worded things in a less than respectful way.

Last edited:
You edited your post after the fact.

I edited it 5 minutes before you replied, check the time stamps. and only added a line (my post wasn't really up for debate and I'm not really interested in your opinion on it.) just to make it extra clear, which you still didn't get or respect. my original post was the same and also said "bye". all i see is someone who replies back trying to make themselves look better after being called out. you're already on my ignore list since you basically told me to get with it or go packing in your original reply, so i don't know why you still bother, you're not gonna make yourselves look better by cornering someone who's already said they are triggered. leave me alone, thx. and bye <-- don't reply.

Question for anyone now reading the thread for its original purpose:

If you could get one hairstyle of your choice in the game, either as a starting option or something you could get down the line at Shampoodle, what would it be?

Post example pics if you got 'em!

My own personal choice would be something akin to Dante from Devil May Cry 2:
mZ5Ze9d.jpg

And also because it's my hairstyle in real life.

g9QG4bz.gif

Last edited:
I didn't design it; I borrowed it from a game which is currently in beta. ^^

And yesssss, that curled hair! :D

Last edited:
I'm just gonna support that idea that was mentioned here in this thread with keeping Rover and his
questions and get a preview of how your character would looks like and if you don't like it, you can
change the look by picking each option on your own. I think that's the best solution for this problem,
it keeps both the typical Animal Crossing tradition but in the same time gives the player the freedom
to pick the own look for the character without wasting time and also prevent any trouble afterwards
(like getting disappointed if you choosed the wrong answers at Rover's questions and the face looks
dumb and so on).

for girls, i honestly wouldn't mind just longer hairstyles. like in pokemon sun & moon, you can have short, shoulder length, or long hair, and decide bang style and straight/curly. i'd like something like that

Although the discussion is on a previous page by now, please remember to keep disagreements civil and refrain from escalating them into aggressive arguments. This is covered by our first rule, which is about respecting others.

I tend to forget longer hairstyles haven't ever really been a thing. I guess maybe due to the chibi shape of characters it was sort of limiting to model, but we have necks now! So I think there's promise there.

The reference of Pokemon is great too, where you get sort of split options in the pieces of the hair? Like the bang style, length, and hair texture are sort of mix and match.

If you could get one hairstyle of your choice in the game, either as a starting option or something you could get down the line at Shampoodle, what would it be?
Curly/fluffy hair, in all lengths. The more curls and fluffiness, the better. Like come one, Harriet! You're a
poodle, you know what curls and fluffiness is, so give my character such a hair and please, don't let it
look like if it was hair made of clay. I want more detailed hair please, gonna pay even more if needed.
Seriously, more detailed hair would be nice, like single strand of hair here, a curl there, you know? Give
the hair more live, jeez.

Also, I want a afro like the Octoling one from Splatoon 2. Please and thanks.
(Yeah, I know there is a wig, but this needs to be a hair style on it's own now.)

I feel like the questions give the game charm, unlike a mobile game. It's easy enough to look up a face guide, I feel like it would take some fun out of it. It would be nice to be able to change your eye shape (perhaps calling it makeup?) at shampoodles later if, for a player who doesn't understand the questions purpose, could change them later.

Just let us pick and choose at the beginning how we prefer.
It is a hassle to figure out how you want your face/hair/eyes to look with questions.

With skin tone being added in, we should be able to jump in and create a character.

I would like to somehow be able to pick my eyes and hair style but for the eye and hair colour go to Harriets for a makeover so she doesn't become a useless feature or not included at all. In the old games it I was always so excited when I finally unlocked Harriet and I don't want that feeling to be lost for any of the new players

I like both, I definitely enjoy getting a face based on the questions I answer. Kind of like the game basing your face off of your personality in a way. But I still need some sort of input, as I would like to change it if I grew bored, or didn't care for it.

Back