• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Which character customization would you prefer?

Customization Options

• Questions

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Pick and choose

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters

Liability

Elusive Shy Kid
Bells
Switch
8226-7429-0212
Jingle Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Timmy Christmas Doll
Even though I like answering questions to determine my eyes, eye color, and hairstyle, I'd rather choose and change my character at any time, especially eyes. Not being able to change my eyes in New Leaf was a pain because my original look became old after a while

The game needs the full character creator from Pocket Camp. No more of this stupid questionnaire junk, it's time we were given full control of our character right from the get go.

Face, skin tone, eye and hair color. The latter two of which can be changed later via the usual means. Height. Weight. Etc. I do not agree that we should be allowed to change our face after the initial creation period however.

There will be a pretty big backlash if the game lacks a skin tone choice this time around considering it was present in Happy Home Designer and the throwaway mobile game.

Last edited:
While the questions are cute and have traditionally been the way things are done in Animal Crossing, I'd prefer to have options and be allowed to pick and choose my character's look at the very beginning. I'm fine with them not giving us all of the options up front and we have to go to Harriet to get certain hair styles, hair colors and eye colors, because if they let us choose everything I might not ever need Harriet at all and that would be sad. As it is, I only go to see her once or twice and that's it. Once I've decided on a look, I usually stick with it.

I don't know how I would feel about being able to change my character's face later in the game. The other changes are all simple cosmetic updates, but changing your face would be like plastic surgery. I get that a lot of people may want that ability, and if they added it, I probably wouldn't care. But it's not something I would personally ask for.

Or, we keep the questions, but before it’s final, it gives a preview and we’re asked if we liked it or not, And if you like it, it proceeds to the next dialogue tree, if you don’t, a screen similar to HHD and pc pops up and you edit it from there.

Maybe at the beginning, Rover (or whoever) can tell you, "Hey, you've got a little something on your face" and they show you a mirror and holds it up to your face. And then you can choose your appearance at that point. I don't want to be able to just change my appearance willy nilly, but I would like the option to do it later. Maybe through a special mirror item that you eventually unlock and can put in your house. Maybe it costs A LOT or you have to meet certain advanced requirements to unlock it. But I don't want it to just be handed to me right from the start. And I don't want it to just be a drop down menu, but connected to an item or something that blends in with the world rather than just being a game menu. If that makes sense.

It's fun answering questions but...I always check what to answer to get the face I like. A bit pointless then.
The ACPC character creator is really nice as it gives you the most freedom. You can change anytime: face, hair, gender, eye/hair colour.
Plus it's optionnal so if you want to keep your original face or gender, well then do it.
It's just a game, no biggie if you want a full makeover haha.

Maybe at the beginning, Rover (or whoever) can tell you, "Hey, you've got a little something on your face" and they show you a mirror and holds it up to your face. And then you can choose your appearance at that point. I don't want to be able to just change my appearance willy nilly, but I would like the option to do it later. Maybe through a special mirror item that you eventually unlock and can put in your house. Maybe it costs A LOT or you have to meet certain advanced requirements to unlock it. But I don't want it to just be handed to me right from the start. And I don't want it to just be a drop down menu, but connected to an item or something that blends in with the world rather than just being a game menu. If that makes sense.

I really like this idea and agree with everything you said. Maybe Rover can still ask those questions but they won't have an effect on how you look. He could also say something like "Image if those question would determine how you look" while perfomring the laughing emote or something similar, just like Tom Nook mentions the part time job you had to do for him in previous games.

I like the questions because it adds some interaction and doesn't "break" the Fourth wall in my opinion.
But if I could choose I'd say that I'd prefer picking myself. It's way easier and faster to know exactly what you're going to be looking like.

i kinda like the novelty(???) of the questions, even if i always just look up a face guide anyway. not sure how they could implement that with picking your skin color though so i have a feeling the next game will probably just have a creator like hhd did xP

Or, we keep the questions, but before it’s final, it gives a preview and we’re asked if we liked it or not, And if you like it, it proceeds to the next dialogue tree, if you don’t, a screen similar to HHD and pc pops up and you edit it from there.

That just makes the process that longer though, and most people would still be looking up a guide anyway. The feature as a whole is archaic and needs to go.

That just makes the process that longer though, and most people would still be looking up a guide anyway. The feature as a whole is archaic and needs to go.

Granted it may be archaic, but it?s what makes it an animal crossing game I?m just trying to make sure it remains the same while introducing newer ideas that came out after ACNL

Happy home designer did it in a way that didn?t feel too intrusive while they asked a question, it isn?t too out of the norm so take it with as you will (i?m sure there is a let?s play of HHD that shows the character customization screen)

I?d long for the pick and choose option, but I?m afraid Nintendo will find that quite unnatural. Also unlikely too. But here?s hoping.

Pick and choose. Most people probably look at guides anyway to get the look they want. They may as well make it straight forward.

Not only for the original character creation, but also when you go to Shampoodle. Who goes to a hairdresser in real life and says stuff like "I'm a troublemaker!" and "I'm a rebel for life!" or that you want your hair colored an "intense deep sea color"? No one.

I love this idea! It?s a nice way to blend into the customization option instead of just opening with a character design menu. I also love the idea with the special mirrors/items being harder to obtain. Kinda like in fantasy life where you can buy the mirror and abilities changing item later on with those lunares coins.

I love this idea! It’s a nice way to blend into the customization option instead of just opening with a character design menu. I also love the idea with the special mirrors/items being harder to obtain. Kinda like in fantasy life where you can buy the mirror and abilities changing item later on with those lunares coins.

Yes exactly! I was definitely inspired by Fantasy Life for this! I honestly hope they do something like this instead of a generic menu. I don't like too many things in the game that make it obvious it's a game.

Yes exactly! I was definitely inspired by Fantasy Life for this! I honestly hope they do something like this instead of a generic menu. I don't like too many things in the game that make it obvious it's a game.

Yeah it would be great if some items actually had a purpose. Eg. Computers can actually be used to send mail. Phones can actually be used to call villagers, even if it’s a small dialogue of them picking up if they are at home, and not picking up if they are outside. I hope a lot more items get some special kind of interaction

Yeah it would be great if some items actually had a purpose. Eg. Computers can actually be used to send mail. Phones can actually be used to call villagers, even if it’s a small dialogue of them picking up if they are at home, and not picking up if they are outside. I hope a lot more items get some special kind of interaction

100% agree! I'd love sooo much more detail and nuance to the whole game. So much more functional PWPs and furniture items. Yes please!

Idk i kind of like having the questions, it feels very Animal Crossing and something that's been there since the start. What do you want? Shampoodle to start offering plastic surgery?

No? Hence why options to only change your hair, hair color and eye contacts are what should only be available at Shampoodles.

We aren't going to have the option of a face guide this time around with a simultaneous worldwide release unless some hardcore Animal Crossing YouTubers, namely JVGSJeff, gets an early copy and can muster up a face guide in time for launch. Villager creation in the beginning is absolutely a necessity now, and them not including it will be pure regression through and through. The backlash would be pretty big too if they don't include options for skin tones, especially with the way game journalism is these days.

Back