• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Which character customization would you prefer?

Customization Options

• Questions

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Pick and choose

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
I think we're going to need some possibility to choose skin tone, not sure I personally really care about being able to choose the face. I think the way HHD handled customization worked pretty well, though - IIRC, it let you change everything in one of those salon hair dryer things, including face type. Or have it be part of the makeup option.

No? Hence why options to only change your hair, hair color and eye contacts are what should only be available at Shampoodles.

We aren't going to have the option of a face guide this time around with a simultaneous worldwide release unless some hardcore Animal Crossing YouTubers, namely JVGSJeff, gets an early copy and can muster up a face guide in time for launch. Villager creation in the beginning is absolutely a necessity now, and them not including it will be pure regression through and through. The backlash would be pretty big too if they don't include options for skin tones, especially with the way game journalism is these days.

I?m not saying there won?t be character customization, I?m just trying to keep the spirit of ac, I am sure that they will include it it would be stupid if they didn?t .

I didn't mind the random question one or just being able to choose from the beginning. Though, if I had to choose either option, I would pick being able to choose from the beginning. I don't like being able to change faces though, because then I would be changing my character's face all the time. I just want to stick to one face only please. :)

I hope the questions stay but who are we kidding, I always look up a guide anyway to get the eyes that I wanted to start with. I think allowing a pick and choose option wouldn't do any harm and can be used for people who know what they want. A kid starting out with this game might have more fun with answering questions. I don't think you should be able to change your face once you select it though.

I prefer questions. It keeps the realism for me and it would be weird for a person to ask you specifically on what you want to look like. But that's just my opinion I guess.

I prefer questions. It keeps the realism for me and it would be weird for a person to ask you specifically on what you want to look like. But that's just my opinion I guess.

One way they could approach it in a realistic (Are we applying realism to Animal Crossing?) way is have the game take place in first person as usual, and you are getting your picture taken for an ID. The camera flashes and takes you to the character creator, and after you're done, the NPC hands you your ID or whatever and asks you if you like the picture.

>If Yes
[Proceed with intro]

>If No
[Return to creation screen]

One way they could approach it in a realistic (Are we applying realism to Animal Crossing?) way is have the game take place in first person as usual, and you are getting your picture taken for an ID. The camera flashes and takes you to the character creator, and after you're done, the NPC hands you your ID or whatever and asks you if you like the picture.

>If Yes
[Proceed with intro]

>If No
[Return to creation screen]

I really like this idea too! Although I don't know if they'll do the ID thing before you get to town. But maybe they'll find a way to implement it :)

I kinda like the questions... idk... I think its part of AC's charm. It would feel kinda weird without them.

I really like this idea too! Although I don't know if they'll do the ID thing before you get to town. But maybe they'll find a way to implement it :)

Depends on just what the game is and how it begins really, but that's just an example of how it could be achieved while still retaining the Animal Crossing charm.

Questions have worked well for quite a while, but once we were allowed to pick and choose in Happy Home Designer, I prefer the pick and choose method when the new AC game comes out. Especially the hairstyles.

I would prefer to be able to just customize it to what I want in the beginning. I always look up the answers because there?s one specific face I like and I want to make sure I get that one. It would be nice to have the eye color option from the start too, but they?ll probably do something along those lines.

i honestly don't even mind answering questions and ending up with a random face, as long as we're able to change it completely later on. (plus it creates a goal to unlock customization options which i really didn't mind doing tbh) i just hope that the new game will give us more control over what our character looks like :c i really want to be able to mix and match different eyes/expressions/mouths etc

i honestly don't even mind answering questions and ending up with a random face, as long as we're able to change it completely later on. (plus it creates a goal to unlock customization options which i really didn't mind doing tbh) i just hope that the new game will give us more control over what our character looks like :c i really want to be able to mix and match different eyes/expressions/mouths etc

I voted on pick and choose, but reading this I think that's a pretty solid idea. Sort of a mix of both, questions at the beginning but you're not stuck with it forever. But then again, here's secretly hoping they have SO many options that a questionnaire wouldn't even begin to cover face options XD

I voted on pick and choose, but reading this I think that's a pretty solid idea. Sort of a mix of both, questions at the beginning but you're not stuck with it forever. But then again, here's secretly hoping they have SO many options that a questionnaire wouldn't even begin to cover face options XD

This is actually another good argument for doing away with the whole question thing: It's limiting the options available to people. They can only give us so many options without having us play an overly long and needlessly convoluted game of 20 Questions just to get the right set of eyes and eyelashes.

Doing away with it would allow for them to greatly increase the number of face options available to players in the beginning, as well as hairstyles later at Shampoodle.

Not to mention, what if someone got the game for Christmas and they're far away from Internet access? I think doing away with the questionnaire could do a good.

I like the questionnaires, but I would prefer to pick and choose. It would be great if we can still get the original questionnaires to set up your town name, etc. I think it would be cool to have your reflection come up in someway, depending on what transportation they go with, and then having the ability to make edits from there.

I'm torn. I really want to be able to fully customize myself (especially in regards to skin color because some of us are a little darker than your average Japanese person, lol). But at the same time, i really do enjoy the questionnaire. It's been a staple since I first started playing and I think it's cute. I also really enjoy the randomness aspect of it. But when I also am a control freak and want my character to look the way I want her to look. So torn. ;_;

Animal crossing's questionnaire was a very cute and charming aspect that stuck with the entire series. This was fine because of the small amount of options they gave in those past games. But the newer spinoff games, pocket camp and happy home designer, gave you much more variety in options. one I find most important (to me) is the skin color option. They brought it in those two games, there is no reason to not bring it back in the switch. I WOULD opt in for some kind of way to have it in question form, but what kinds of questions could you ask that would determine all the options? Maybe starting off simple with the face in the beginning and allowing many more options later with something like shampoodle again would be fine but skin would be a problem if you can't start it off the way you wanted.

as someone who's nonbinary & lgbt the questionaire in new leaf was really triggering tbh with it's genderpolicing and binarypushing that was also present in other parts of the game and even worse in localized versions ("gracie" being turned into a woman, animal genders being changed based on color pink ones girls blue ones boys, even tho they werent in the original). so i want it gone and full control on selfexpression without outside judgement (rover/nintendo).
i only got through it in nl cause i knew it was there and stupid and there were guides on how to get what i want. which was still triggering but atleast limited the scope of it. i only went through with it cause i knew the game itself was something i'd enjoy, but i felt kinda pushed away at the door. if they bring that back for a switch however (something that didn't even occur to me as a possibility.. why would they?), when they had character editors in hhd & pocketcamp, i will not get the game, doesnt matter how good it is.

Last edited:
In hindsight, I approached the conversation a tad too harshly and I do apologize if I offended anyone. My wording was less than kind, a tad too on the nose and didn't leave much for a civil discussion on the matter; and my follow up replies didn't do me any favors. I did not set out with the intentions of offending anyone, but I do realize that I come off as rude and crass with how I reply at times.

Again, I do apologize.

Last edited:
Back