• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Which 3ds should I get?

edenoakk

Bells
Camp Bell Tree 2023 Patch
I'm.planning on buying a 3DS today but I'm unsure which one I should buy! I also have a few questions if anyone could help answer them that would be great!

Can I play normal DS games on it?
Will I need to buy a charger?

Many thanks!

Yes, you can play DS games on a 3DS! And I'm sure the DS and 3DS use the same charger. (I may be wrong about this since I only have a DS Lite and regular 3DS, but I'm pretty sure every handheld in the DS family uses the same charger!)

As for what 3DS model to get, I would say the 3DS XL if you want a bigger screen. The regular one works great, too!

Yes, you can play most ds games on a 3ds! There are a couple exceptions however, like some games bought outside your region (the ds is region free, however the 3ds is region locked) and a couple other weird situations. I only own one ds game that I have to play on my ds lite though, so it probably won't be an issue.

There are multiple versions of the 3ds, and each with a normal and XL variant, depending on what size screen and console you prefer. I'm not sure how you are buying it, and therefore what versions you're more likely to encounter, but generally:
- The original ones are cheaper, but some people had problems with the hinge snapping if they were too rough with it, and it does have worse hardware.
- the new 3ds is more expensive, but has better hardware (so will run games a bit better), and has an extra c-stick button, which helps control some games. (it's also better for modding I think, if that's up your alley).
-there's also the 2ds; not many people's preference, but some people prefer how it feels to hold.

But generally, for most games, either will be perfectly fine. I still have my original 3ds, and I have not encountered any issues, other than slightly more lag in a couple games, but for me at least, its not that noticeable.

Sorry if that was a bit long-winded 😅

If money is no object: New 3DS XL. More RAM, larger screen size.

If money is an object: Original 2DS model. Same features as a standard 3DS but does not support 3D and does not come in a clamshell form factor.

You can play almost every DS game (that isn't region-locked) on a 3DS, with the exceptions being so rare that I strongly doubt you will ever need to look it up just in case. As a rule of thumb, anything that requires a third party peripheral or use of the Game Boy Advance slot probably won't work.

Ideally, whatever you buy should come with its own charger, but if you end up buying a second hand unit that doesn't have one, you might be able to find one online.

Yes, you can play DS games on a 3DS! And I'm sure the DS and 3DS use the same charger. (I may be wrong about this since I only have a DS Lite and regular 3DS, but I'm pretty sure every handheld in the DS family uses the same charger!)
The original DS model uses a different charger than the others. I never did get a DS Lite or a DSi, so I'm not sure about those.

Update!!! I got this console boxed and new leaf with happy home designer 😁

Attachments

• befunky_2023-6-4_17-48-56.jpg
    befunky_2023-6-4_17-48-56.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 21
If money is no object: New 3DS XL. More RAM, larger screen size.

If money is an object: Original 2DS model. Same features as a standard 3DS but does not support 3D and does not come in a clamshell form factor.

You can play almost every DS game (that isn't region-locked) on a 3DS, with the exceptions being so rare that I strongly doubt you will ever need to look it up just in case. As a rule of thumb, anything that requires a third party peripheral or use of the Game Boy Advance slot probably won't work.

Ideally, whatever you buy should come with its own charger, but if you end up buying a second hand unit that doesn't have one, you might be able to find one online.

The original DS model uses a different charger than the others. I never did get a DS Lite or a DSi, so I'm not sure about those.
The DS Lite used a different charger from the original DS and DSi. The DSi and all of the 3DS and 2DS systems use the same charger which is pretty useful if you have multiples and have one break on you.

Nice! I like the 2DS XL the best from appearance, hope to one day pick up the AC edition.

I’ve been looking to get a new 3DS 😭 Or maybe even a 2DS. Mine is the original 3DS model in blue. It’s old. I really would love a pink 3DS XL but they’re soooo hard to find. And Amazon refurbished ones are soo expensive.

Just recently got another 3DS, and it's been a lifesaver for when I need two at the same time (like trading in Pokemon games). Unfortunately I got it as soon as the eShop for the 3DS closed, so I can't buy any digital games for it. Lmao 😭

I was going to suggest the original 2DS for its simplicity, but your New 2DS XL looks cool too. I love the color orange!

The orange one is so cool! I have a New 3DS XL that has Pikachu on it <3

Back