• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

When the main antagonist isn’t the most evil character

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Usually, in a book, movie, video game, tv show, or whatever, the main antagonist is the most evil character. However, this isn’t always the case. In some works, there are some characters (usually one or two) that are more evil than main antagonist.

What are some examples where there is a more evil character than the main antagonist in the same work? And I’m not talking about works where the main antagonist is a hero and the protagonist is the villain. I’m talking about evil antagonists that aren’t as bad as some other character.

Hmm. Everyone will reference Hannibal Lecter as being the main villain in Silence of The Lambs. But the really evil one is Buffalo Bill. However, I think in the film Buffalo Bill would probably be considered the main antagonist anyway?

In Frankenstein, it is Victor Frankenstein who is the true monster, rather than the monster he creates. The monster does end up with quite a body count, but it was his creator that messed with medical science, created this being and then released it into the wild to wreak havoc, despite being repeatedly told not to do that.

I only know a few examples, but here’s one:

inFAMOUS 2 - the main antagonist is the Beast, who is willing to destroy humanity, but he had good intentions. However, the most evil character is Joseph Bertrand III, who rounded up people he deemed sinful and used the Ray Sphere to kill them all while gaining powers. He then tried to round up the conduits and people who had the gene so he can commit genocide against them, all because he didn’t like what his powers were as a conduit.

Majin_Buu_DBZ_Ep_263_002.png

This menace from Dragon Ball Z terrorises the earth, killing completely indiscriminately just for the fun of it, before destroying every last inhabitant and setting his sights on the entire universe. He is the ultimate villain of the final season of the series.

Van_Zant_DBZ_Episode_253.png

This man shoots a puppy.

Last edited:
The game where Bowser is not the main bad guy is Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story. You can actually play as Bowser but only when Mario and Luigi are well you know inside his of him.

I don’t want to get too bossy, but I think you guys are missing the point of the thread. What I’m looking for are characters that are more evil than the main antagonist within the same book/movie/video game or what ever, not moments where the main antagonist isn’t as bad as usual.

Light Yagami from *Death Note* came to mind. Since he becomes more and more corrupted with the power of it, and goes to believing he's doing the right thing, when he's not. Believing he's a God who's ridding the world of all the bad people in the world
--
In the movie *Saltburn* the main character Oliver, comes across as an awkward, innocent boy. Who is actually a terrifying monster in personality. Who just played up the innocent boy role so no one would suspect him. When he had a sinister psychotic personality.

He ends up doing some really disturbing things to others, and it's later revealed to be his master plan the whole time.
--
Viola from Witch's House also comes to mind.
--
Danganronpa: Nagito Komeada, first comes across as a normal guy but the build up over time really reveals other wise, and the sixth chapter really shows who he really is. He's pretty messed up in the head.
--
Black swan: Nina, Nina is driven by her disturbing and visions that lead her to do some really bad things to herself. It arguable what's real and what's not due to her condition. But she is very unstable in the movie.
--
Last night in Soho: Sandie. Orginally a nice girl till she was lured in by Jack who gradually drove her to a breaking point. She uses her attractive and beauty to lure in un suspecting men to their death. She went back to her orginal name to cover up her actions. Though she still has her moments.
--
Happy Sugar Life: Satou Matsuzaka, she's considered the protegonist of the manga, but honestly everyone is pretty crazy. Very dangerously possessive over a little girl who's her light in life. Anyone who comes between them she considers taking care of.

(Those are the only ones I can think of right now)

Last edited:
Palpatine/Darth Sidious was far more evil than Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace. He used Maul and the whole government to orchestrate a long-winded plan. (Spoiler Ahead) Additionally, while Maul survived Obi-Wan "killing him" in the Phantom Menace, he comes back to later reveal his disdain for not only Obi-Wan but the Sith/Sidious saying, "The Sith. The Sith [Sidious] took everything from me. Ripped me from my mother's arms, murdered my brother, used me as a weapon, and then cast me aside. Abandoned me. Once, I had power, now I have nothing. Nothing.

I think that Stormella from the awful Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer The Movie by Goodtimes isn’t as bad as everyone in the movie says she is and o actually side with her instead of the so called bad guys. Stormella is constantly being called “mean” and having bad things said about her behind her back, her personal property gets damaged and when she demands that the ones responsible be handed over to her so she could punish them, she gets denied (punishment was probably going to be making them clean up the mess they made and pay her for the damages), she was completely honest and just wanted to deal punishment for those who did wrong, when she made the snowstorm she didn’t break her word that she would do it and she didn’t trick anyone into causing it either, and she kept her prisoners in rather large and warm cells with their own private caves and never chained anyone up so they had full movement and she explained what they did wrong. Santa on the other hand just rewarded bad behavior and Rudolph cheated during the race and when he gets rightfully disqualified, everyone acts like he didn’t do anything wrong when you can clearly see he was intentionally lighting up his nose, and Rudolph was pretty much a jerk the entire movie.
Post automatically merged:

Him from The Powerpuff Girls, he is even more evil than Mojo Jojo, who is the main antagonist.
I think HIM was supposed to be the main antagonist of the series and Mojo was just their signature villain that showed up the most.

Last edited:
1707793717161.png

iykyk
Kyubey or "incubator" will ask you to form a contract to save your life, but you have to turn into a magical girl and dedicate your life to fighting witches. He's like the cute little sidekick pet. But when you die you become a witch yourself, therefore making your life's purpose futile, so the antagonist is Kyubey and not the witches.

the first that came to mind were Jean Descole (Professor Layton) and the group Strega (Persona 3).

I know most except for @pawpatrolbab probably dislike/doesn't care for Paw Patrol, but Mayor Humdinger is the main antagonist of the show. While his antics are quite evil he always finds ways to screw it up and have him wind up in trouble instead. Not to mention he's always pouty... That in itself doesn't really make him an evil character, instead, there are WAY more evil characters in the show than him.

In fact, the one I want to address the most is Codi Gizmodi from the episode "All Paws on Deck". She tried to take over Adventure Bay by claiming all the land for herself, teleporting all the important properties in the town in random parts of the areas that was seen in the show, and leave all inhabitants who lived there on the moon. That in itself is pretty darn evil if I say so myself, which is why she's one of my favorite antagonists and I hope she returns in a future episode for her revenge.

(Don't judge my taste on a kids show, I mean, I think the series is cute, but I'm NOT a diehard fan of it like someone on the forums here. No hard feelings to that user here anyway, I respect their opinion.)

Probably Red Dead Redemption 2 in a way. The law is the antagonist in a sense. But Micah is worst. Sells out his friends and also kills a dog because it annoys him (to name a few). The law is just doing their job, but Micah is just a deceitful turd. Which says a lot since you play as criminals.

Back