• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon What kind of rival and champion concepts do you want to see?

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
I've seen rivals in recent mainline Pokemon games that are either overall friendly or have the development from a jerk rival to a friend which kind of gets a bit boring and predictable in every single game.

Honestly, I would like to see a development of the usual friendly rival trope in which the friendly rival turns out to be the traitor and the actual villain of the game who's goal is to get to the ultimate goal of either conquering the Pokemon League or get the Legendary Pokemon by using the player as a pawn to their schemes. And that the reason why they battle the player is that they could study and use it to their advantage against the player once the player found out the truth of their rival. They would usually shower the player with compliments but it's usually either too good or something's off.

Or a Pokemon champion who is actually corrupt and power-hungry and is the true leader of the evil team organization. Maybe, having the Pokemon League be the main antagonist of the game.

What Pokemon rival concepts you would like to see in future games?

Honestly, I would like to see a development of the usual friendly rival trope in which the friendly rival turns out to be the traitor and the actual villain of the game who's goal is to get to the ultimate goal of either conquering the Pokemon League or get the Legendary Pokemon by using the player as a pawn to their schemes. And that the reason why they battle the player is that they could study and use it to their advantage against the player once the player found out the truth of their rival. They would usually shower the player with compliments but it's usually either too good or something's off.
I have been wanting this for so long. All of my hopes for an evil rival or an evil champion were out the window in Gen8 and further in Gen9. I wanted Leon to be evil. I wanted Marnie in Team Yell to be evil. There is no evil in S/V. Its frustrating because I can't take anything seriously anymore in the games when there's nothing at stake. Silver from Gen2 is the closest we'll be getting to an "evil" rival.

For future games, I want there to be a player alignment system and player occupation/skills. For the alignment system, you can have an option to be the hero or join the evil organisation. None of the evil teams are really evil anymore so it wouldnt be too much of an issue. As for player skills, maybe breeding is something a player is interested in so the more they breed, the higher their breeding skill. Something like that.

Back