What's your favourite accent?

I don't understand what people mean when they say British accents because there are SO MANY which are completely different from eachother.
Like a scouse accent, a brummy accent, a Manchester accent .. even tiny neighboring towns have varied accents.

- - - Post Merge - - -

For the record I am ashamed to admit I enjoy a geordie accent now and then.

I don't understand what people mean when they say British accents because there are SO MANY which are completely different from eachother.

I have a little trouble differentiating accents because it's not my native language, that's why I say I like the 'British accent' as a whole. I'm sure there are lots of differences but I can't recognize them n_n

ohh lol, I get confused when people say it because when I'm describing American accents I can differentiate between quite a few different ones haha
There's so many different accents in the world it's crazy. My accent is a crappy common english one b/c I'm from the north of England

Like a scouse accent, a brummy accent, a Manchester accent .. even tiny neighboring towns have varied accents.

- - - Post Merge - - -

For the record I am ashamed to admit I enjoy a geordie accent now and then.

I didn't grow up or live in the UK so I wouldn't know the difference.

I understand that I forget that a lot of users here are from America or other parts of Europe, etc

It's fine since I'm sort of the same way with my mom. She's from Osaka and she can immediately tell if someone isn't from Osaka based on their accent. (Like if she talked to someone from Tokyo for example). I can only tell the difference a little lol.

I really like the northeast USA accents when they're not wicked strong, and Danish, Swedish, and some of the southern USA ones too but it depends on the area.

some type of English accent probably. I also like Scottish accents and the neutral American accent you'd find on the west coast (I have the latter).

*sees people say "British accent"* *groans*

You can't really even just say "English accent" since there are so many.

I think the Cockney accent is great XD

*sees people say "British accent"* *groans*

You can't really even just say "English accent" since there are so many.

This was said already, but since you brought it up, I'll say it again: Those of us who have never been there and aren't familiar with the different accents in the area can't really differentiate them.

That would be like me expecting that all people know what a Yooper accent is.

This was said already, but since you brought it up, I'll say it again: Those of us who have never been there and aren't familiar with the different accents in the area can't really differentiate them.

That would be like me expecting that all people know what a Yooper accent is.

To be fair I can understand this to an extent: I don't really expect people to be able to differentiate between the different accents within England, however I think it's pretty common knowledge that Britain is not limited to just England, and even people who have never been there should understand that people in Scotland and Wales don't have English accents
Just a pet peeve of mine, it's a serious Americanism and it's annoying lol

Just felt like adding this, something people aren't taking into consideration here. It is possible to say you like "British" accents, if you like all/most of the British accents. I can't say that as I like only English/Welsh accents, but don't care for Irish/Scottish accents. I don't know the names for the different English accents, but I like most of them which is why I said I liked "English accents". I also just asked my English boyfriend if he knows the names for the different English accents, and he just said he doesn't even know the name for most of them. If even most English people don't care enough to differentiate their accents, why would you expect foreigners to?!
It's ok to generalize, if you mean to do so.

Just felt like adding this, something people aren't taking into consideration here. It is possible to say you like "British" accents, if you like all/most of the British accents. I can't say that as I like only English/Welsh accents, but don't care for Irish/Scottish accents. I don't know the names for the different English accents, but I like most of them which is why I said I liked "English accents". I also just asked my English boyfriend if he knows the names for the different English accents, and he just said he doesn't even know the name for most of them. If even most English people don't care enough to differentiate their accents, why would you expect foreigners to?!
It's ok to generalize, if you mean to do so.

ireland is not part of britain ireland is not part of britain ireland is not part of britain ireland is not part of britain ireland is not part of britain ireland is not part of britain

unless you mean northern ireland in which case carry on, and yeah i understand your point but when people say 'british accents' they generally mean harry potter voices

Back