• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Sonnets: A History and Guide to Poetry's Strictest Form -- Feel free to add your own + prizes for writers!

SolaireOfAstora

After Mon and Tues, even the calendar says WTF
Bells
July Birthstone (Ruby)
S.S. Dolphin
Chocolate Cake
Vesta
New Horizons Token
Green Candy
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Father's Day Carnation
Cherry (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Hey all! (I have this posted on Reddit too, in case you see it there, I'm the same person!) I know we like poetry here, so I thought "why don't we talk about the sonnet?" which is the strictest, most rigid form of poetry. Like seriously. I'll break it up into separate posts just to make it cleaner and easier to read.

Sonnets are a type of poem that follow VERY strict rules, and while you may ask yourself "why would I want to do that?", well it's very rewarding to know that even with all of the rules and restrictions you can make an awesome poem. Being forced to confine to syllable counts and rhyme schemes forces us poets to get very creative in finding ways to get our point across and I think it's a wonderful learning experience.

What is a sonnet?

You mean other than painful? A sonnet is the general term used for a 14-line poem that consists of a specific rhyme scheme and meter. Due to the meter it is read in ("iambic pentameter") there is 10 syllables per line, although you will find the occasional 9 or 11 syllable outlier.

Types of Sonnets
There are a few different types of sonnets, but each follow the rule of 14 lines and 10 syllables per line. The difference is the rhyme scheme and stanza breaks. There are 4 main types of sonnets, which I will outline below. As with anything, the art has evolved and there are tons of modernized subtypes, but I'm only going to outline the original 4, or else we'd be here for ages.

The first one I will outline has the most history and thus is a decent bit longer than the others, but in order of appearance:
Petrarchan Sonnet
Shakespearean Sonnet
Spenserian Sonnet
Miltonic Sonnet

History
The word "sonnet" is derived from the the Italian word "sonetto" which is derived form the other Italian word "suono", meaning sound. As you'd expect, the origins are Italian. The creation of the sonnet is attributed to Giacomo da Lentini, a 13th century lyrical poet who wrote poetry in the "Sicilian dialect". If you do not know, Sicily is the Island found in Southern Italy. It is still a part of Italy. (In fact, I'm half Sicilian, my grandparents immigrated from there!)

Although he is the creator of sonnets, Lentini is not the namesake of the earliest type of sonnet. That goes to Francesco Petrarch, who was considered the "perfecter of the form"

Fast forward to a bit to Elizabethen era England (1558 - 1603) where the Petrarchan sonnet evolved to become the next three forms: Shakespearean, Spenserian and Miltonic.

After being introduced to England by Sir Thomas Wyatt in the early 16th century, the Petrarchan sonnet was still being actively used throughout the entire Elizabethen era, potentially due to the Earl of Surrey, a man named Henry Howard, both wrote his own sonnets and translated many of the most famous Italian pieces.

Shakespeare himself comes into the picture about 100 years after the introduction of sonnets to England. Like Petrarch, he did not create his namesake sonnet, instead he was considered the style's "perfecter" which is possibly linked to his incessant use of the iambic pentameter (we'll talk about this later)

Another evolution was the Spenserian sonnet. A man named Edmund Spenser is the namesake: it is a Shakespearean sonnet with a more complex rhyme scheme.

The final one that I will talk about is the Miltonic sonnet, which was created by a guy with the most British sounding name ever: John Milton. It is nearly identical to the Shakespearean sonnet, but the content distinction is important enough to make a whole separate category.

Bear in mind, the Shakespearean, Spenserian and Miltonic styles all happened around the same time. Spenser died just before Shakespeare and Milton died right after.

An Iambic What??
It sounds more complex than it is, trust me.
An iamb is one type of poetic "foot". Pretty much all poetic feet are two or three syllables in length. The "iambic" foot is two syllables long.

To determine if it's an iamb, check the stresses on the syllables. This is easiest done while reading aloud. Note where the stresses fall naturally.

The pattern of an iambic foot is simple: one unstressed syllable followed by one stressed syllable.

Say it out loud. It's helps me to exaggerate the stresses more than normal.

How to determine the meter and foot?

I'll break it down into the steps I was taught:

Step 1. Read the text normally (out loud), but pay attention to where you naturally stress the words. Note you can just whisper-read, you don't have to act like you're presenting it to someone, unless you want to. Knowing the overall tone of the text also helps.

Step 2. Grab your pen! Cut each word into syllables. This doesn't take as long as you might think. Like this: |Am|I|mak|ing|sen|se?|

Step 3. Read the first line slowly and read aloud, make sure to exaggerate your stresses on the syllables. Word by word, mark whether you read the syllable as stressed or unstressed. If you feel that it's unstressed make a mark above that syllable that resembles a shallow, wide "U". If you are using a computer, use an "x". If you feel that it's stressed like me mark it with a left-facing slash "/".

Step 4. Find the pattern. Mostly [x | /]? it's an iamb. Mostly [/ | /]? it's a spondee. Mostly [/ | x]? it's a trochee. [x | x] is pyrrhic. If the pattern is more obvious every 3 syllables: [x | x | /] is referred to as anapestic and [/ | / | x] is dactylic. Don't worry about the names though, you just need to remember "iambic" as it's the most important and how to identify stresses.

Step 5. Average out the number of syllables per line. Do this by adding all the syllables in the entire poem and dividing it by the number of lines. Round to the nearest whole number. Divide this number by the number of syllables in the foot that you identified (either 2 or 3).

Step 6. Name the poetic meter! It goes iambic/spondaic/trochaic/pyrrhic/dactlyic/anapestic + prefix determined by final # in step 5 (mono for 1, tetra for 4, penta for 5, etc.) + "meter"

Try it:

Of these 5 sentences one is written in iambic pentameter and one of them is written in iambic tetrameter. See if you can figure out where the iambs are!

a) But soft! What light by yonder window breaks?
b) Tell me not in mournful numbers
c) And the sound l of a voice l that is still
d) Was three long mountains and a wood
e) Just for a handful of silver he left us

Well?

The iambic pentameter is
a) this is a famous line in Romeo and Juliet!

The iambic tetrameter is
d) It's from Edna St. Vincent Millay's "Renascence"

The rest are:
b) is a trochaic tetrameter (from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha") c) is an anapestic pentameter (from Lord Byron's "The Destruction of Sennacherib") and e) is a dactylic pentameter (from Robert Browning's "The Lost Leader")

Last edited:
Petrarchan Sonnet

The Petrarchan sonnet, named after 14th century Italian poet Francesco Petrarch. Ironically, Petrarch did not invent this type of poem, that credit goes to 13th century Sicilian poet Giacomo da Lentini

It is broken into 2 parts: an "octave" and a "sestet". An octave refers to a stanza of 8 lines, the sestet refers to a stanza of 6 lines.

The octave always has the rhyme scheme of the dancing queen (as I call it). It goes ABBA ABBA. Each letter means a rhyme, so each "A" line ends the same, etc.

The sestet has a rhyme scheme of either CDE CDE or CDC CDC. The latter scheme is also sometimes referred to as the "Sicilian sestet" It is more common to see CDE CDE, however I prefer the other rhyme scheme, ironically, I am half Sicilian. This is easier to use in Italian due to Italian word endings being much more similar than in English.

Petrarchan sonnets typically present a "problem" or "proposition" in the octave, usually in the form of a question, and then a "resolution" in the sestet which is called the volta (which translates from Italian to "turn"). This form was also often used in 17th and 18th century England, even after the creation of the Shakepearian sonnet.

(I should add that the English translations of the Italian ones almost always do not manage to follow the rhyme scheme and syllable count, for obvious not Italian reasons.)

a35cbd30c1bc66ed69a5b9d5c065bf04.jpeg

Last edited:
The Shakespearean Sonnet
The Shakespearean sonnet is probably the most well-known of all, as well as the simplest to write in English. It was heavily inspired by the traditional Italian sonnet, and evolved throughout the Elizabeathen age to what we know it as today.

Many people believe Shakespeare invented the sonnet, however, as mentioned earlier, sonnets date back to the Italian Renaissance and the creator of the sonnet is credited to Giacomo da Lentini and considered to be "perfected" by Francesco Petrarch.

Shakespeare wasn't even the first Englishman to write sonnets! However, much like our pal Petrarch, he was considered the "master of the craft" and thus the style bears his name.

The format is slightly different: it is split into four parts, three quatrains (a group of four lines) and then a rhyming couplet at the end (two lines that rhyme with one another)

The rhyme scheme goes: ABAB CDCD EFEF GG and is written in "iambic pentameter" (unstressed, STRESSED)

See if you can detect the poetic feet in his works:

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.

I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.

I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.

And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare

Last edited:
The Spenserian Sonnet
A Spenserian sonnet is identical to a Shakespearean sonnet, however, it makes use of a more complex rhyme scheme. It goes: ABAB BCBC CDCD EE. Personally I find the rhyme scheme awkward to read, but it certainly makes for some interesting poetry, since you only get 5 different rhymes to work with.

I've written many, many sonnets but this is the style I am least fond of. I find it clunky to read and write. It doesn't help that Spenser's works are written with different spelling than we use today. Everything is very phonetic though and you'll notice a lot of it is pronounced very similar to the modern equivalent.

Of this worlds theatre in which we stay,
My love like the spectator ydly sits
Beholding me that all the pageants play,
Disguysing diversly my troubled wits.
Sometimes I joy when glad occasion fits,
And mask in myrth lyke to a comedy:
Soone after when my joy to sorrow flits,
I waile and make my woes a tragedy.
Yet she, beholding me with constant eye,
Delights not in my merth nor rues my smart:
But when I laugh she mocks, and when I cry
She laughs and hardens evermore her heart.
What then can move her? if nor merth nor mone,
She is no woman, but a senceless stone

The Miltonic Sonnet

This type of sonnet is nearly indistinguishable to the rhyme scheme it chooses sonnet. In fact, if you came across a Miltonic with a Shakespearean rhyme scheme and an actual Shakespearean sonnet in a language you don't understand, you would not be able to differentiate them.

This is due to the difference being, well, the content of the poem.

Simply put: Miltonic is internal (feelings, struggles, etc.) and Shakespearean is more physical, as in to say the things/concepts that surround us, while Petrarchan is more spiritual/religious.

To be completely honest, most people would just call them Shakespearean/Petrarchan and not differentiate. People tend to be more familiar with Shakespeare, and the difference is so small that I only tell people who are interested in literature that my fave sonnets are technicallyMiltonic, not Shakespearean.

(Yes, my favourite are Miltonic in Shakespearean rhyme scheme)

An illustration of the difference

Many people are not entirely sure why we consider this another major group of sonnet, since sonnets are very much defined by structure. It's true that it copies a rhyme scheme of another established structure...(to be fair Milton did sometimes change it up to "stretch the limits of traditional structures")

However...

It sparked the idea of creating poetry about these concepts.

The traditional Petrarchan sonnet often had spiritual themes relating to catholic beliefs. (Repentance, holiness, love for the Christian God, sacrifice, etc.)

The Shakespearean sonnet....well if you didn't know, our old friend Willy Shakes was a rebel. He regularly wrote about lust, misogyny, homoeroticism, greed, infidelity, adultery and acrimony. In the 17th century, mind you.

Read the poem that is in the Shakespearean sonnet section "My Mistress' Eyes". Nearly every comparison there is to something material: a rose, coral, the sun AND it is a literal comparison: he compares her lip to coral -- it's not symbolism or metaphor, it's literally coral.

One of Milton's most famous works is the sonnet 19 "On His Blindness" (found below) in which he contemplates around the sad truth that he was going blind (which is true, Milton did go blind). It is written with a Petrarchan rhyme scheme (ABBA ABBA CDE CDE))

The most simplistic way to put it is Shakespeare is more simile and Milton is more metaphor. Wow alliteration!!

When I consider how my light is spent,
Ere half my days, in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless, though my Soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide; “
Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?”
I fondly ask. But patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, “God doth not need
Either man’s work or his own gifts; who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
And post o’er Land and Ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait.”

Last edited:
Personal Examples
Most of my sonnets are based off of songs because my favourite way to write them involves intertwining lyrics with my own ideas. The title of the song and the artist are noted.

Petrarchan

Art bleeds its colour through canvas and frame
Pleasing the eye and provoking thought
Attacks through brushes in forceful onslaught
Paints over tragedy and waits for acclaim
if artistry is only made through pain
then I’m addicted to the suffering
when sorrow can show it’s true colouring
carving ‘til only perfection maintains
But, why turn something bad to something worse?
scraps of failure build me to what I am
isolation and loneliness make peace
I’d rather be alone and that’s how this works
reach for me and try to touch but you can’t
the complex mess of being a showpiece

Spenserian

“Hello?” Is anybody in there?
a doctor is hovering over me
this will ease the pain so you can bear
disassociated from your agony

and relieved of all the anxiety
everything surrounding me is a blur
Problems forgotten: relieved blissfully
an easy solution for a user

but the spotlight's on: I'm an abuser
there's no doctor, just a man with a vice
Ironic-- addicted to the cure
the only medicine has quite the price

needing more to hide this thing I've become
killing me slowly 'til I'm comfortably numb

Shakespearean

Nobody ever made me feel so cursed
but attachment and guilt kept me trapped
Waiting to get better, but things got worse
it was my fault whenever you snapped

words turned to bruises and pleas turned to shoves
a relationship built on violence
And yet I believed when you called it “love”
It’s time to let go of my reliance

Underneath my fear I find my voice
time to leave you behind and start again
Who you chose to be was not my choice
I’ll rewrite my story with a happy end

You always told me that I was weak
But the bravest thing I did was leave

Song:
Cutscene and Cut Dialogue (WARNING: Blood, potentially spooky imagery and sounds)

Old friend, the darkness has us trapped
Do you feel it, decay is closing in
I will save you, but that’s my final act
For deadly silence crawls upon my skin

My shield is sturdy but my strength will wane
Save yourself while I hold back this monster
When shadows take me, I’ll spare you from the pain
My will is strong but can’t last much longer

Corrupted beyond the point of rescue
To attempt to change my fate is hopeless
Finish me honorably, I beg you
For I am but a slave to the abyss

Put me to rest while I still have my fame
Succeed me when the world forgets my name

An Accidental Combination of Petrarchan and Shakespearean (I guess we can call this one Miltonic!
This one is just a link due to me reaching the max limit for media in this post

The URL description says he uses insults towards gay people: he spells the letters F-*-G once.
(The exact line is: When I go outside, what do I see? That the clouds in the sky spell F-*-G Because I think that God might think I'm gay) Bo is obviously not homophobic but I thought I'd add the warning.

I try to convince them to reassess
but every one of my peers now suspects
Maybe watching SpongeBob had side effects
Perhaps it comes down to how I dress

No matter what we’re doing it comes up
No one tries to keep the message hidden
“Hey what’s up? Do you like kissing women?”
I try my best but there’s no letup

“She doesn’t get guys, there’s no other way”
Haven’t you guys figured it all out yet?
It’s because I’m *****y, not ‘cause I’m gay
Being the “gay friend” is still an asset
Nobody will change their mind what’s more to say?
At least they’ll be cool when I leave my closet…

(Just so we're on the same page, this one wasn't written to be "good" by my standards, it's just something funny I did while coming to terms with my sexuality)

Write your own?
So now that you know how to write a sonnet, you can write your own and post it here!

Everyone who writes a sonnet will receive 10 bells from me. If your sonnet has improper formatting, I will send you 5 bells for the attempt :).

My favourites will receive either a collectible randomly chosen out of an assortment If I manage to sell some of my other collectibles, I will add larger amounts of bells as prizes.

Last edited:
Back