What's the last movie you've seen?

Yesterday I watched Love Actually for the first time. It was really very good. So many different stories, so many great actors, so touching. I especially loved Liam Neeson's character learning to bond with his stepson.

a-christmas-story-christmas.jpg

I watched A Christmas Story Christmas(2022) recently.This is one of the best sequels of a popular movie that I've seen.It really captured the spirit of A Christmas Story(1983) with the same off the wall humor and general weirdness.I loved that much of the cast of the original Story reprised their roles for this movie.Notafinga!

The last movie I saw in the theater was Napoleon, I enjoy history movies but there were some things that I found to be a little odd and not quite right or glossed over.

The last movie I saw at home was Cloverfield from 2008 I believe, it was one of those films that was filmed like it was a home video. Those were like.. not done that well until Paranormal Activity in my opinion.

Oh wow I didn't even know that was already in theaters. I really liked the first one, but haven't seen the others. I should put aside some time to watch them soon. How was it, did you enjoy it more than the 2nd film or about the same?
Wow I'm sorry I'm playing catch up now!

I haven't seen The second one, it's on my list actually. I really wanna see it

I actually really enjoyed this one :3 I like how fun the movies are, and this one was pretty great. I still like the first one the most, but this is 100% up there

The other night I watched There's Something Wrong with the Children, and I loved it so much! The monster was...interesting, but I found it very cool!

I watched The Boy and the Heron and then Eileen last weekend! The Boy and the Heron was incredible, I loved the visuals and I couldn't stop thinking about it after I left the theater. I watched it in Japanese with subtitles so I definitely wanna watch the dubbed version next time bc I can't comprehend that's Robert Pattinson voicing the heron

I liked Eileen too! Anne Hathaway's character was so dreamy

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians via MST3K.

A very Patrick Swayze Christmas to you all. And if you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope the rest of your December is equally Patrick Swayze.

Stayed up super late watching "I Believe in Santa" on Netflix with my mom lol. Strangely melodramatic despite the ridiculous premise/conflict, but one particularly cringe-worthy scene aside a Muslim character talked about how the discrimination the male lead faced for believing in Santa Claus was comparable to his experiences with Islamophobia 💀 I'm—, it's pretty standard bad corny Christmas movie fare. Some of the lines were unintentionally hilarious, and there's some painfully bad green screen effects. It probably would've been better had it been less self-serious and more over-the-top tbh.

leave the world behind

i stopped not long before it ended or maybe just over halfway (i don't remember tbh, but i skipped forward to see what happened). the eerie music that kept repeating really annoyed me and i couldn't deal with it anymore. kinda boring!!

I've watched a couple of movies at home during my time off this week.

Elemental was pretty good. Nothing I wasn't expecting but not bad.

Everything Everywhere All At Once was really cool. I've always loved Michelle Yeoh so it was a must watch for me.

Rebel Moon Part One: A Child of Fire was also really good. I'm looking forward to the release of Part Two.

f2d843b4-2a6d-43d5-bfba-f014ca8a.jpg

I finally saw Elvis(2022) in its entirety.I'm glad they got Baz Luhrmann to direct this because a subject like Elvis Presley shouldn't be handled in an ordinary manner.I liked the manic pace and and there were great performances by Austin Butler(Elvis) and Tom Hanks(Col. Tom Parker).My only gripe was that the movie did not include a scene in which Elvis indulged in his favorite fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Well, I watched the movie. Here's what I thought about it. I'll hide any spoilers in case you want to watch it.

Music
Being, well, a musical, there were a lot of songs, and I think they were good. I think the best one was For A Moment, but Sweet Tooth was also kind of funny. Besides the lyrical songs, the background music was also fitting for the type of movie it was. There was a lot of piano, but despite that, most of the silly and fitting for the type of movie it is. I will say that while he's not a bad singer, Timothée Chamalet is better at acting than at singing.

Writing
I think that this is also supposed to be a comedy movie. If it is, then Paul King and Simon Farnaby did a good enough job in that department. It never made me laugh out loud, most of it just made me smile, but there were parts when I came close to doing it, like Sweet Tooth, or how one of the chocolate shop owners always explains things that are supposed to be subtle (it makes sense if you watch it), or the comedian character. It also knew when to be sad and not interrupt with a joke, like when Willy's chocolate shop is destroyed, or at the end of the movie where he finds out that his mom's secret recipe wasn't what you put in it, but who you share it with, or just the character's backstories, especially Noodle's. I think it all comes together in the third act, that's when it all comes together. Finally, I think it's funny how this one piece of chocolate that Willy gives to the guards just simulates them being drunk.

Conclusion
I think the movie was good at being a backstory for Willy Wonka. You should check it out. I'm only giving it a 7.8/10, because there was too much chocolate I give it an 8/10.

Last edited:
Rented The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes as part of my New Year’s Eve celebration yesterday and watched it at home with friends and family!

I was fixated on the original The Hunger Games trilogy up until around March of last year, and I was so excited to find out that Suzanne Collins had written a prequel and that it was getting a movie adaptation! I was admittedly less excited when pictures and promos started coming out since some of them looked like they came straight out of a Hallmark movie, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up enjoying the movie!

I’ve yet to read the book, so the movie was my first introduction to the new characters and I was a bit lost at times, but it was a pretty awesome movie! I appreciate that it was directed by the same director who did 3/4 of the original trilogy’s movies, Francis Lawrence. Seeing a younger, slightly less evil Coriolanus Snow was fascinating, and I ended up really liking Tom Blyth’s adaptation of him despite my early reservations. I also appreciate that rather than the book/movie serving as a sort of redemption arc for him, or even trying to justify any of his actions during the original trilogy or the 64 years that took place before The 74th Annual Hunger Games, it served as a reminder that no one is born evil. Coriolanus Snow was once a naive, small child, and then a teenager/young adult who loved his cousin and Grandma’am, before the monstrous, tyrannical president that he eventually becomes. It was really interesting to see.

Rachel Ziegler’s adaptation of Lucy Gray Baird was good as well! I loved the dress that she wore in the first half of the movie, and she has a beautiful voice. Lucy Gray’s songs were so lovely to listen to. This is the first thing I’ve seen Rachel in, and she did not disappoint! She embodied Lucy Gray’s charm, free spirit and talent beautifully. Viola Davis and Hunter Schafer were phenomenal also, and stole every scene they were in. ❤️

I loved finding out the origins of and nods to some of the prevalent parts of the original trilogy (ex. “The Hanging Tree”, which turns out to be Lucy Gray Baird’s song. I can’t imagine what President Snow must’ve thought when he heard Katniss sing it for the first time). Coriolanus and Lucy Gray’s brief conversation about swamp potatoes (“But I think Katniss has a much nicer ring to it”). The decedents of some of the characters from the original trilogy (Arachne Crane > Seneca Crane, Lucreticus “Lucky” Flickerman > Caesar Flickerman). The scene where Reaper carried all of the tributes’ bodies and laid them together, covering them with Panem’s flag was heartbreakingly beautiful to witness as well.

One of the most interesting parts for me was Casca Highbottom’s revelation that it was him and Coriolanus’ father who created the concept of The Hunger Games, and that it was never meant to be more than just a concept. Finding out that Coriolanus’ father got him drunk just to encourage him to come up with it, and then turning it in to Dr. Gaul without his permission. Dr. Gaul constantly giving Casca the credit for the games, knowing just how much he despises them and is ashamed of their existence and his role in it. The realization that if Coriolanus’ father and Dr. Gaul weren’t as evil as they were, The Hunger Games might not have ever existed at all. 76 years of pain and tributes that could’ve been spared. Wow.

Another interesting part was Tom Blyth’s adaptation of Coriolanus. It was so odd to see him express grief and remorse for the horrible things that he did (ex. getting Sejanus hung) knowing how brutal and emotionless he would eventually become, but the most interesting part is that Tom also portrayed that part of the character. Along with the grief, remorse and crying, you can also see the coldness poking through, with Coriolanus’ belief that he was only doing what needed to be done. The fact that he’s still the teenaged/young adult version of himself at the end of the movie, but in that final shot of him standing in The Capitol, he just oozes the wickedness of his president self, from the way he stands to the expression on his face. Snow lands on top, and he knows it. He rejoices in it. Donald Sutherland’s “It’s the things we love most that destroy us” being the final line in the movie was just the cherry on top.

Overall a really well done movie! I prefer to watch the movie adaptation of books before reading the book so that I go into the movie without expectations, but I’m looking forward to reading the book now! ❄️

via streaming, The Chronicles of Christmas 2. I like 1 better, but 2 wasn't bad. It was more about backstory in my opinion. They were nice Christmas movies I thought.

Back