• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's the general conensus on Super Mario RPG Remake so far?

Belle T

head thoughts, no empty
Bells
Specifically, how does it compare to the SNES version? Is it worth playing even if you already own that version?

Basically I'm trying to determine if it is mostly a graphical update or if there are some improvements and added features that make it worth the money?

I'm currently up to Bean Valley and so far I'm quite pleased with the game. I am a Mario RPG fanatic (it's my favorite game) so I would be ready to tell the truth if I thought it was disappointing, but I don't actually feel that way. I sometimes feel as though I'm one of the only people who will still defend the graphics and look of the original, but for what it's worth, the updated graphics are really cute and I like the new cutscenes and move animations. The little level up dances characters do is just adorable. Most of the enemies look a little cuter than they did in the old days (except the carrots; they're horrifying). They've been incredibly faithful to the original with most of the dialogue being exactly the same, although there are some new additions that I've so far been pleased with. My only gripe is that some names were changed (
Mack is now Claymorton??? What was wrong with Mack??? Why did they change Mukumuku to Thropher of all things, but keep the item description for the Muku cookie as still saying "muku"????
) but at this point I'm just being nitpicky.

One of the new additions is a bestiary that lets you see cute little journal entries for all the monsters you've encountered, including their psycopath (now "thought-peek") quotes. I like this a lot.

I know that some extra fights were added post game, but I haven't gotten there yet to comment on those.

One thing I like is that you can change at any point between the original OST and the new one, so it's fun to compare songs. Your mileage may vary here, I mostly prefer playing with the older OST, but I just love that that's an option.

I feel as though the game is made for two groups of people: Those who have heard of the game but never had a chance to play it, and people who are super fans who love and can't get enough of Mario RPG. If you (general you) are a medium fan, you may not find it worth the purchase. But if you're the type of person like me who replays this game all the time, I think it's worth it to see it in a new perspective.

I’m going to keep an eye on this thread—I never played the original, but I did enjoy Paper Mario a good bit.

I’m going to keep an eye on this thread—I never played the original, but I did enjoy Paper Mario a good bit.
Paper Mario, while taking considerable inspiration from Mario RPG, is perhaps a tad-different. Same general narrative style (albeit a bit more simplistic compared to something like TTYD), but much more closely resembling a traditional Square Enix-style RPG. You might still like it anyway. Mario RPG games are generally good regardless, but I wouldn't expect it to be too much like Paper Mario.

I might get it eventually. Probably not soon though because I can't afford to get it with everything else I want next month...
My main concern is the fact I got stuck near the end when I played it on Wii U Virtual Console. I'm worried that'll happen all over again.
On the other hand, the Paper Mario remake coming out next year is a game I remember finishing 100%, so I'll likely get that one before Mario RPG.

My main concern is the fact I got stuck near the end when I played it on Wii U Virtual Console. I'm worried that'll happen all over again.
Not to dredge up bad memories, but do you remember where it was that you got stuck?
I've certainly had experiences like this in games (I never beat Kingdom Hearts 2 because I couldn't make it past the final boss, for example).

I beat the remake a few days ago and I am pleased to say that its better than the original. There are some changes I noticed like how you can switch your party members out if one of them faints. At first I thought it would make the game too easy but i ended up liking it because it saved me from situtations where boss battles that gave me a hard time in the past gave me a chance to use different characters that I would never think of using. Also the Post Game is pretty impressive. Not gonna spoil it but man you're in for a treat for a hard rematch against a secret boss.

Not to dredge up bad memories, but do you remember where it was that you got stuck?
I've certainly had experiences like this in games (I never beat Kingdom Hearts 2 because I couldn't make it past the final boss, for example).
It was a boss but I unfortunately don't remember his name. I think I remember he kept changing forms, though, if that helps.

Ah, yeah that's where I got stuck.
His tank head is weak to Mallow's Shocker. The Wizard head has weak physical defense, The Treasure Chest head is weak to Mario's Super Flame, and finally the Defensive head is weak to Mallow's Snowy. If you keep damaging him with those attacks it will do more damage.

It looks like a decent remaster from the reviews that I have seen. The 1 star reviews are from complete morons. 'Not your average Mario game' 'I thought I was getting a sidescrolling game, boy was I disappointed.' Like how hard is it to do some research? (Not you all, these knuckleheads that bought and then complained lol)

I think Target has those game deals going on during the weekend of Black Friday. Used to be buy 2 get 1 free. Might be worth picking up if that is still a thing.

It looks like a decent remaster from the reviews that I have seen. The 1 star reviews are from complete morons. 'Not your average Mario game' 'I thought I was getting a sidescrolling game, boy was I disappointed.' Like how hard is it to do some research? (Not you all, these knuckleheads that bought and then complained lol)

I think Target has those game deals going on during the weekend of Black Friday. Used to be buy 2 get 1 free. Might be worth picking up if that is still a thing.
That's why I generally don't trust retail reviews for the actual quality of the game itself as much as I do the actual physical qualities. i.e. If there's a problem with a circuitry in a certain number of cartridges and the reviews warn about that, or if there's a bug where the software won't launch or something like that. In terms of things like gameplay and story, online store reviews tend to always skew towards the dumb.

I just finished the post-game yesterday and now that I've completed the game I would absolutely rank it as one of my favorites. It's a fantastic remake and I can only really think of a few nitpicky negative things to say about it (pretty much entirely new localization decisions). I was feeling a little worried before going into it, but I think they did a great job of staying faithful to the original, while adding some really fun new content that made me smile and didn't seem at all out of place.

To anybody here who has the game already, be sure to defeat the game once again after completing the post game content!

I always wanted a switch remake but also worried how a switch remake wouldn't go right, but they did a fantastic job with it. They kept the same feel I'll while make it look like a great modernized game. My only (small) complaint is it felt a tad easier than the origina. Perhaps it was only because action commands was easier to peform. The end game bosses definitely provide some challenge and tactics though.

The music is also absolutely well done, but the fact we can switch between modern and classic was a nice thing for them to throw in. All in all, I loved reliving the experience of one of the GOAT through new graphics and added cutscenes. It's a game that makes you want to play through multiple times~

My only (small) complaint is it felt a tad easier than the origina. Perhaps it was only because action commands was easier to peform. The end game bosses definitely provide some challenge and tactics though.
I can't help but feel as though the addition of splash damage (plus the triple attack, which comes back fairly often) couldn't help but make the game easier. Plus the slightly easier action command timing, as you said. I was sort of hoping that the game would have a hard mode alongside Breezy mode, but alas. It's not as though it's a deal breaker, but it just would have been nice to see.

Reactions: Dim
as someone who didnt grow up with original (I did watch a streamer play it tho), I loved it!

I like how they kept all the sass from the OG. all the different names make sense (expect for mack, his name was fine before) the graphics are beautiful especially the lighting. I love the little chibi looks the characters have.

the only thing I dont like about it is that it's super short. you can beat it in a few days if you speed through it. (ik the og is short too)

i've been on the fence considering if i should pick this up or not 👀 i didn't grow up playing the original version but it looks like fun! i love the paper mario series and the visual updates to the game look great! i might try and see if i can watch a few streams of this to help me make a decision (well that and i still need to get a proper start on my copy of mario wonder!)

Back