• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What was your worst experience with a video game?

My Animal Crossing GCN town corrupting destroyed my 14 year old self. I bawled. I had so much of an emotional attachment to that game it's not even funny. Of course, I don't dislike it for that one bit.

Another game I don't dislike, but FFXIV gave me anxiety so many times in the beginning. Like the same kind of anxiety you get before going out on stage and performing. Also, some people were really rude to me in the beginning. I had never played an MMO at all before, so there were a lot of things I didn't understand.

Option A: The shiny Wooper that ran away from me in the Safari Zone in Platinum. Outside Go and scripted encounters, I can count the number of shinies I’ve ever found on one hand. (Dizzy Punch egg Smoochum in Crystal, which is of course trapped there forever; this Wooper; a shiny Pineco in I believe Ultra Moon; a shiny Raticate in Let’s Go. I did at least catch those two.) So you know. Pretty annoyed that it ran away, because for the better part of a decade it was the only shiny I saw.

Option B: Around the same time, I was ultimately unable to beat The Legendary Starfy because the final section of the final boss fight requires button mashing I was physically incapable of performing fast enough. It’s not the only game I loved right up until an inaccesible design choice stopped my progress, but it’s a standout because 1) I TRIED, so hard, 2) It was literally the final section of the final boss, and 3) it’s a game whose target demographic is roughly equivalent with Kirby’s. I was thirteen. It’s kind of humiliating to be a middle schooler who can’t beat a game for six-year-olds because of button mashing.

Reactions: Neb
I unfortunately stopped playing world of Warcraft after putting a lot of time and money into it because some of the players are so hardcore they made the game unenjoyable.

Have a pretty toxic friend I'm trying to ease out of the relationship with.
He keeps suggesting me games that I've told him before I don't really have much interest in but doesn't quite listen.

One game he really likes is called Smite, and honestly I think the game is pretty fun by itself and if you're just playing casually. I'm not a pro at it obviously, it's not my thing but I would play it every so often just because he wanted to play it with me.
Any time I would get into a game with him he would basically back seat game me just to tell me how badly I was playing and how in competitive sessions the way I play wouldn't work because you needed these protection gems and blah blah blah.

Genuinely because of him I can't really play the game, it's just not fun to me anymore.

Funnier story though:
Me and my older sister had Harvest Moon, it was a game cube game but Wii allowed for emulation and you just had to have a memory card. We didn't have a memory card so we had the brilliant idea of "well just leave the game on"
Idk how long we left that wii on but at some point it's fan started getting really loud before it would just straight up die in the middle of game play. We basically trashed a wii because we didn't want to lose progress on it.

Probably Duke Nukem Forever, one of the only games I ever returned. It was the most bizarre and inappropriate game I ever played. I don't know what I was expecting when I bought it, but it wasn't that.

Pretty much all my negative video game experiences involve a corrupted or deleted save file. I remember two instances specifically; the first was with LoZ TP around when it first came out. I had played for probably 20+ hours in only a couple days and was almost finished with the game, and either my brother deleted my file or saved over it. I don't remember exactly, but something happened and I literally was so upset I couldn't bring myself to begin the game again for a while lol.

The second one that was with Elder Scrolls Oblivion; it was my first playthrough and I had probably 40 plus hours, and some sort of glitch happened where I think I saved too soon right after exiting a dungeon so when I loaded the game up again, the character was stuck and couldn't move. Having no experience with such games before, I would continuously save over my previous save instead of creating a new one, so I had no previous save to load up. Needless to say, I learned my lesson then and always had multiple saves ever since for games like Skyrim, Fallout etc. because they can be so buggy.

And then there was the time that I deleted my Wild World town a couple of years ago, which I did voluntarily but now regret because I'd love to be able to go back and see how my town is doing.

Pretty much all my negative video game experiences involve a corrupted or deleted save file. I remember two instances specifically; the first was with LoZ TP around when it first came out. I had played for probably 20+ hours in only a couple days and was almost finished with the game, and either my brother deleted my file or saved over it. I don't remember exactly, but something happened and I literally was so upset I couldn't bring myself to begin the game again for a while lol.

The second one that was with Elder Scrolls Oblivion; it was my first playthrough and I had probably 40 plus hours, and some sort of glitch happened where I think I saved too soon right after exiting a dungeon so when I loaded the game up again, the character was stuck and couldn't move. Having no experience with such games before, I would continuously save over my previous save instead of creating a new one, so I had no previous save to load up. Needless to say, I learned my lesson then and always had multiple saves ever since for games like Skyrim, Fallout etc. because they can be so buggy.

And then there was the time that I deleted my Wild World town a couple of years ago, which I did voluntarily but now regret because I'd love to be able to go back and see how my town is doing.
I've had so many of my game files saved over, copied wrong, or just outright deleted by someone else. Heck my Zelda save got deleted/saved/copied over 3-4 times in less than a week. First time I was upset, but powered through trying to get back to where I was. Happened again so I was a little less motivated, but nonetheless was going to try. Boom...again. I just gave up lol.

It's also why now I have several saves for games. Old school cartridges have all the slots saved with the same file, 2-3 on consoles that use memory cards, and back-up saves nowadays.

I guess we both have that dreadful curse.

Triple threat as I can't decide which was worse.

I think it was called Marvel Nemesis or something, a Marvel fighting game on PS2. I saved up for months to buy that game, went home and within an hour of playing it my mum comes into my room and tells me she wants me to turn it off. I say "okay, lemme just save it" (ah, pre-autosave) and she's like "No, you do it now", picks up the PS2, I hear grinding noises and it's destroyed the disc and as I found out later the PS2 too, it scratched the lense so it wouldn't read discs. She then starts screaming at me about breaking stuff and wasting money because she I broke it, so I got grounded.
My grandparents were furious (at her) as they bought the PS2 and didn't want me taking it home in the first place (they're not fans of my mum/their daughter).

Bought the Warriors on PS2 (a different PS2 my grandparents bought to replace the old one). It gave the disk laser burns which is just "one of those things" where my PS2 had developed a fault. I asked my mum if she could take me into town to get the disc replaced or repaired (with my own little stash of money) as I actually kept the receipt that time to which she grabbed the disc, looked at the mark where it had burnt, snapped it, binned it and told me I'm "incapable of looking after anything. I just waste money"

Bought Skyrim on 360 when it came out. My girlfriend at the time asked if we could go to hers to play it so we did. Still in the tutorial bit where your hands are tied up she decides "I'm just going to move the Xbox" and before I could tell her to hold on a moment I hear loud grinding noises come from it. I didn't react badly, I just told her it's fine, things happen (even though I was screaming internally), but obviously it triggered poor previous experiences.

Can't think of anything right at the moment but I do know one thing. It is horrible having to play with hackers in splatoon 2 because obviously they hack to cheat cheat. Changes their look middle of the game and go through walls like plz no.

I was nearly close to beating Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage on the SNES and then I lost all my lives, had no more continues, and I just gave up on the game.

i remember one of my cousins deleted my near 100%'d save file of Cooking Mama 2, thinking that he could make a new file separate from mine. my poor trophies...i never did end up completing it after that 😅

i got scared really badly in the sims 4 when vlad the vampire broke into my house and started munching on one of my (teen) sims. technically the game does "warn" you before this happens, but i never played the sims before so i completely ignored it, thinking it was just some weird dialogue. i was particularly freaked out because the game didn't let me do anything while it was happening and i couldnt find any options to get my other sim to help...immediately uninstalled that pack and never touched it again lmao. so, yeah. that took me a good hour to recover from. though in retrospect, the image of my other sim just moseying around her passed out gf to get some food was so ridiculous. thought i could have her wake her gf up. NOPE 😂

when I was little I had a gameboy advance sp that I would mainly play pokemon on, but one christmas I got super mario advance or something for it and could not get past this one part. I would get so pissed off playing the game that one day I just stopped and never touched it again. when I was older I looked up online the entire play through of the game and found out that I got stuck within the first 5 minutes of the games lmao

i got mugged in runescape when i was 6 :'D in retrospect a small child shouldn't have been playing a 13+ mmorpg but my brother introduced me to it and then his account got hacked, and the hacker DMed me threatening to hack me too unless i gave him everything i had LOL. my poor little character lost her already few items and it ruined the game for me until i was older and closer to the actual playing age...

I don’t think I‘ve had many bad experiences! I like playing local co-op games, so last year I bought Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Switch. I don’t think the game itself is bad, but I didn’t really enjoy two-player! I found that Player 2 sometimes felt redundant, and sometimes things were just easier with one player. I never actually finished, so maybe it improved, but maybe I’ll continue playing it one player. 😊

Probably playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and being stuck near the beginning of the game. I had no idea what to do to progress until years later when I watched a playthrough of someone playing the game. Needless to say I felt very dumb once I realized what I wasn’t doing. I’ve never really liked Legend of Zelda games though.

It's not so much the game's fault, but a lot of 1st person games I struggle to play because I get bad motion sickness migraines (I'm autistic too, so I think it's to do with sensory processing). A lot of games that I like, I just can't play for more than like 20 minutes, like Bioshock Infinite, Sims 3 (for the wii), Portal 2, Resident Evil: Village, Cyberpunk 2077 and Fallout 3 so far. It's really frustrating cause a lot of these games I really want to play and enjoy, but I just can't cause it's like my brain goes all fuzzy and I need to lie down and not look at things for quite a while after.

A silly story, but when I was 5 I was TERRIFIED of trauma center, I still dont know why (I'm very scared of anything relating to blood, operations and such, but the game doesnt show anything). My cousins had that game and my sister liked it, so she almost always played it when we visited them and I would run for my life and start crying the second I heard its music lol.

A few months ago I decided to get the game to see what my fuss was about. I still havent finished it because how hard it ts. but I'm quite enjoying it and plan to get more into the series (I'm specially curious about trauma team). Character development.

Back