• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What was your worst experience with a video game?

My worst experience was an online situation in both Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8. I don’t want to share any details regarding the situation but it wasn’t a good experience. I had fun memories with those games but it’s a touchy subject now.

My worst experience was an online situation in both Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8. I don’t want to share any details regarding the situation but it wasn’t a good experience. I had fun memories with those games but it’s a touchy subject now.
its suprising that such an innocent game could have brought such a bad experience. sorry about whatever you went through though

I think for me it was SimAnimals. I was about 13 and I spent a voucher I got for my birthday on it brand new when it came out. It wasn't a very good game lol I felt so ripped off :'(

Usually glitches or game just suddenly crashes, but I'm sure everyone feels the same way. I can't really remember if I had any other bad experiences though? I know there a few games I didn't enjoy cause I didn't get into them or never finished them. I know for one game I was stuck on a part in Darksiders 2, it took a literal year before I actually beat the part I was stuck on. I couldn't kill the enemies in the same room but each section had different enemies and the last spawned in so much. I don't know if there was a glitch in the game at that point or something, but at least I eventually beat it though. I took a long break before I beat that part, then one day I got on and just ended up completing that part. I felt so relieved lol, it was so stressful though.

Every time I somehow lost my save data in one of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.
Most of the occurrences were my fault and had nothing to do with the game. These games are actually pretty good!

I remember struggling to beat that difficult level in Donkey Kong Country 2 the one where you had to use all the animal buddies in that last bonus level. I spent 4 hours trying to beat it and when I got to the end I was so happy but also very frustrated at the same time.

Ehh here we go. It’s my fault but I was about 12 years old and had nintendogs on the DS. Played it day and night; trained my pug to the max for perfect scores. Long story short- didn’t end up with a perfect score, got upset and threw my DS. It broke in half almost and I lied to my parents saying I stepped in it by accident lol. I don’t have anger issues I swear 😮‍💨

As much as I love Persona 5 Royal, the way the game handles endings is terrible. I accidentally got the game’s default ending and had to start the entire 100+ hour journey over to get the true one. The new music and extra dungeon were worth it, but it would’ve been nice if the game gave you a warning.

As much as I love Persona 5 Royal, the way the game handles endings is terrible. I accidentally got the game’s default ending and had to start the entire 100+ hour journey over to get the true one. The new music and extra dungeon were worth it, but it would’ve been nice if the game gave you a warning.
Yeee, that aspect of P5R is awful. You have to be super careful if you want the proper ending & I almost had the same issue but I looked up what I had to do right in time. Also, Okumura's boss fight in P5R specifically was the absolute worst. I have no clue why they made it so awful in Royal.

Personally can't think of my worst experience with a game. I've had plenty of ragey moments but none that were so awful that they immediately jump to mind? I did rage quit A Link to the Past on my old Gameboy Advanced once and when I went back to it I found out that my save file corrupted. When I put the system down the batteries popped out right when I was saving bc I didn't have the back to it and so it shut off. That was pretty awful lol.

the first time i tried to play skyrim. i rely heavily on captions and the tv we had at the time was NOT hd, and was pretty small, so i couldn't read the captions cuz they were so small. it took years before i was willing to give it another chance.

Also, Bully. there's no caption option, whyyyyy? i couldn't play it. had to take it back to the game shop to trade it in, it pissed me off.

My worse moment with a video game was when I was a child actually. I was playing Nicktoons Unite with my dad (who like, was busy a lot) and the one time I was able to complete a game with him- but the game would completely break at the final boss. I was never able to complete the boss because it'd just glitch out and be unplayable, LOL

I've had a few but definitely Skyrim due to all the bugs and glitches. Had to play through it 3 times to get 100% achievements (with console commands should be said cause it was just... badly made/ported). Plus there is one certain quest that is really bugged so yeah if you get the bug gg you gotta do a questline basically all over lol.

Also anytime on on 3DS/Switch playing online and you get disco cause their crappy servers, like why do we pay Switch when it's 3ds/Wii U lol.

Also basically any "roadblock" level in Japanese games that takes you hours/days to complete when it's not even supposed to be Lunatic lol.

When I was still in middle school, I was playing Pokemon Red on the Super Gameboy. It is a SNES cartridge with a slot for Gameboy games to play on the TV.

I had just gotten to Cinnabar Island for the first time. My sister was complaining that she wanted to watch TV, and my mom told me to let her, so I said OK. I was in the middle of saving the game to stop, and my sister ran to turn off the console so that she could use the TV. She turned it off mid-save and corrupted my save file, making me lose everything... I was so heartbroken.

I think my worst experience was with Mabinogi. I was 11 years old and played a chubby elf ( the game has a 'weight system', and due to the very early - mid 2000s 3d style, fat characters look very blocky ) and I accidentally enabled EvP in a populated section of town. I got camped by two people who kept typing really, really unpleasant insults and slurs at me 'n taunted how I was probably crying like a little baby.

I didn't touch the game for a few months afterwards. I'm past it now, but man, imagine being so heartless as to do that kinda' stuff...

No Man's Sky initial release. It was just awful. It was so buggy. I usually do not get frustrated with games, but this one pushed me over LOL. However, it's much better now. The game is everything it was meant to be at release and even more.

I was about 14-15? in Runescape. Anyway I was tricked into going to a pvp server and was subsequently killed and had my equipment and gold stolen. My armour wasn't that rare (I was wearing Rune iirc?) and I didn't have much gold but pretty sure I almost cried because I couldn't log out in time lmao. I vaguely remember not logging in for a couple of weeks afterwards lol.

Geez... are the multiple endings thing in P5 as well? I have that one and might as well get a guide before it's too late.

My worst experience was in Zelda Twilight Princess on the Wii. Not really the game's fault though. More my "friend" at the time.

I had never played a Zelda game before and as a big fan of the series my "friend" convinced me to give it a go. I constantly struggled with the controls especially the part super early on where you have to catch a fish for a cat. All she did was make fun of me and make me feel really bad. After that day I sold the game without even giving it a second chance all because of that bad experience.

I honestly don't know if given the chance in the future if I would give it a second chance. It's a shame I know. :(

Though to look on the bright side at least I'm not "friends" with her anymore.

I have had games that soft-locked or the save file corrupted as an adult, but my worst experiences with video games were as a kid.

My dad hated video games and never wanted them in the house. To this day I really struggle to get myself to play games that aren't portable because I remember the sound of my dad's footsteps as he walked upstairs to find my little brother and I when he got home. We had to quickly turn off the games at whatever point we were at so that he didn't see us playing them. He knew we played. We were allowed to have consoles, but if he saw them being played, he would flip out.

He once caught us playing once when my brother really wanted to find a save point. He screamed for hours. First at us and then at out mom, and I was always so scared for her.

Video games made my childhood bearable, but there is a reason I always preferred portable Nintendo consoles that I could quickly put down or turn off.

Back