What was your childhood game?

I am old, and my childhood was Donkey Kong Country Returns. It was and still is fun. You play as donker

Quest 64.

We didn't get a game system in our house until one came "free" with the minivan my parents had purchased. It was a Nintendo 64, and it came with Pokemon Snap. My siblings and I enjoyed the heck out of that game, and we begged for more, so after much pleading and bargaining, they gave in and bought us a few games out of the bargain bin. One of them was Quest 64.

It was my very first RPG, and I was smitten. It was like my fantasy books come to life! Before this point, I should mention, I was quite sheltered. MTV and VH1 were forbidden (women were degraded on those channels, according to my mother), they only grudgingly accepted certain cartoons as acceptable viewing, and D&D was a satanic cult, though I don't think I knew of its existence then. Needless to say, I had no standards when it came to video games, and this would become the goalpost of all future games.

I loved the music the best. Even if we were only able to play it for a couple hours at a time (more, if we snuck out, muted the TV, and played when we were supposed to be in bed), I'd still be humming the songs of whatever region I was in at the time. I still have my save file: I have almost all possible elements, all spells, and I've technically beaten the game dozens of times. Mammon was no longer the scary demonic "WHAT'SHAPPENINGOHGOSHI'MDEAD" boss, but a few swings of the PowerStaff lvl 2 and he'd be down for the count. Ironic that melee was so OP in a game that was supposed to feature heavily on magic abilities. I felt utterly betrayed by Shannon. And I didn't realize until later in life that Shannon was actually supposed to be female. I mean, Shannon was a -girl's- name, but the short hair and the Renaissance-style clothing- that clearly of a male- threw us all off. My brother and I would argue constantly about it. If I remember right, we decided that Shannon was an "it" because Shannon was a puppet. Of course, there was "cleavage," but we were too naive to actually notice it. Ah, the pointy square graphics of the "3D" Nintendo 64. Glorious.

Even now, though I've played classics since then that are much more polished, entertaining, and engaging, I still crave to play it. I have, every so often, when I'm at my parents' house. Ah, the nostalgia... and despite everything, I still enjoy it.

Back