What Scared you as a kid?

I used to be scared of spiders when I was little, but now I spiders are my favorite animals
especially jumping spiders and tarantulas they're so adorable <3

(le snip)

there are still many things that scared me as child that still scare me now,
but I'd rather not get into those.

ME. I actually have been looking at adorable jumping spider plushes that someone makes that I've seen on DA, I want one of bad and my friend always sends me pics of them! I also take pictures of jumping spiders because they just have the cutest most expressive little faces and eyes! Though when I go in for a macro shot they often like to jump ON the lens which scares me because I am staring intently at the screen and then they just "BOOP"

I was always, ALWAYS afraid of the concept of having a disease. I don't know...That's a pretty deep concept to linger on as a child, but the thought of getting an incurable sickness kept me up at night. I don't even know where it came from; I can't recall any disease in particular scaring me...Just the word it's is kind of frightening. Sadly! I got diagnosed with an incurable thyroid disorder so all of my childhood fears came true.
On a lighter, more embarrassing, note! There was this one Scooby Doo game for the Nintendo 64 with some museum level that frightened the heck out of little me! See, there was a part where a mummy would just start pursuing you out of nowhere and the music sounded threatening enough to leave me totally unnerved as a child. That game is the reason I started sleeping with the covers over my face. Of course, that's not the case anymore haha! I'm an avid believer of the paranormal...SO YEAH! Still gotta cover my face, as an adult, and hope the ghosts don't see me or something.

Ghosts, the dark, strange, large dogs (I was attacked a rottweiler as a child), dolls, Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark (the artwork), and talking to strangers. My social anxiety was horrible when I was a kid. Whenever my grandfather took me to McDonald's, he'd try to get me to order my own food, but I'd just freeze up, have an anxiety attack, and burst into tears, which everyone seemed to think was hilarious, for some reason. I feel like I had a really weird response to fear, though. Because whenever I discovered I was afraid of something, I'd try to research it under the theory that if I could learn to understand it, it would no longer be frightening. I ended up researching ghosts until I was about 21 when I finally came to terms with the fact that there are just some things that can't be explained. And by came to terms with, I mean I had a complete mental breakdown and stopped sleeping at night to make sure I was safe because hauntings were less likely to take place during the day. I was not in a good place, and I'm no longer allowed to watch the Paranormal Activity films cause those did nothing to help my anxiety.

Ghosts, the dark, strange, (snip) I ended up researching ghosts until I was about 21 when I finally came to terms with the fact that there are just some things that can't be explained. And by came to terms with, I mean I had a complete mental breakdown and stopped sleeping at night to make sure I was safe because hauntings were less likely to take place during the day. I was not in a good place, and I'm no longer allowed to watch the Paranormal Activity films cause those did nothing to help my anxiety.

My fear of ghosts was very brief as a child because I had so many encounters so frequently that it kind of became second nature, but I kind of laugh at most ghost movies and shows, unless there is something on one of the "reality" shows like "ok, well that was real and totally creepy." But those aren't common, even with the experiences I have now I kind of just ignore them. Now I am sure it can be hard to ignore random people showing up in your house, especially when they talk or move stuff, but it's do-able when reacting only makes it worse. It's bad though because my boyfriend gets scared when I tell him about things that happen to me all the time, and he get's also envious and tried to provoke them, which later usually gets taken out on me...

My fear of ghosts was very brief as a child because I had so many encounters so frequently that it kind of became second nature, but I kind of laugh at most ghost movies and shows, unless there is something on one of the "reality" shows like "ok, well that was real and totally creepy." But those aren't common, even with the experiences I have now I kind of just ignore them. Now I am sure it can be hard to ignore random people showing up in your house, especially when they talk or move stuff, but it's do-able when reacting only makes it worse. It's bad though because my boyfriend gets scared when I tell him about things that happen to me all the time, and he get's also envious and tried to provoke them, which later usually gets taken out on me...

Yeah, I really recently brought a ghost into my home on accident. I bought something used from a thrift store that turned out to have a ghost attached to it, but the haunting has been really mundane. Like it opened doors and messed with the electrical stuff for the first couple days, but nothing has happened for weeks now. I understand now that ghosts are just people. I don't believe in demons or anything like that. I just believe in happy ghosts or angry, sad ghosts that are looking to cause some trouble.

i was scared of the lion at the beginning of MGM movies, game over screens, newgrounds videos, the chucky series, happy tree friends (still afraid of it to an extreme degree), and having my bedroom/closet door open while i slept (still afraid of this as well).

i'm basically still afraid of ALL those things, including some others like talking to strangers, ordering food, going to places without someone i know close to me, death, etc. i have anxiety, which makes it ten times worse.

I was scared of the dark and the bloody mary story made it even worse. Lol I couldn’t sleep with the lights off or go to the bathroom with the door closed.

I was also scared of Freddy Krueger because my dad would put it on for some reason when I was asleep and I’d wake up seeing him kill someone in the movie lol. It was pretty horrifying as a kid and definitely didn’t make me feel like sleeping because that’s where he’d get you.

Ah, good ol’ memories.

Last edited:
I was scared of the dark and the bloody mary story made it even worse. Lol I couldn’t sleep with the lights off or go to the bathroom with the door closed.

I was also scared of Freddy Krueger because my dad would put it on for some reason when I was asleep and I’d wake up seeing him kill someone in the movie lol. It was pretty horrifying as a kid and definitely didn’t make me feel like sleeping because that’s where he’d get you.

Ah, good ol’ memories.

Omg, I feel your pain. When I was eight, two of my aunts locked in me in their bathroom (it locked from the outside) and turned the power breaker off for that part of the house after they convinced me Bloody Mary was real.

I also used to be afraid of Freddy Krueger when I was a kid, even though I love him now. But that's more because of that damn creepy theme song of his than the movies.

Omg, I feel your pain. When I was eight, two of my aunts locked in me in their bathroom (it locked from the outside) and turned the power breaker off for that part of the house after they convinced me Bloody Mary was real.

I also used to be afraid of Freddy Krueger when I was a kid, even though I love him now. But that's more because of that damn creepy theme song of his than the movies.

Omg I would have died if anyone ever did that to me! lol
and haha yeah the theme song was pretty creepy but his face haunted me.
but I too am a big fan of his, the movies are just very well put together.

Luigi's Mansion! Eek! I could never play that game when I was younger. I was too scared. xD I also used to be terrified of zombies when I was younger, too, for some reason... :\

I liked to fall asleep to the radio as a kid and always got scared when this song came on for some reason.

I was also pretty terrified of fish. I still hate them, but not terrified anymore.

These two things;
NORA.jpg

HanPopcicle.png

heck these still get to me if i see it pic or gif of it.

The top one I must have forgotten about, 'cause when I saw it, memories came crashing down on me like tsunamis or something!

The bottom... It's carbonite.

Stupidly enough, old movie stop motion.

And it still creeps me out to this day.

(Oh and that Ichabod cartoon at the end with the headless horseman)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I thinking he's referring to the Kirby one, but they're both the same thing...so yeah..

- - - Post Merge - - -

Chauncey never scared me honestly, he's unsettling and threatning..but he's not that scary.

I'm not a man. Also, Sleepy Hollow.

A lot of the disturbing things on Flapjack scared me, like the candy wife and THIS CAT! I had nightmares about this cat, not joking. And it was like when I was a teen, and it still creeps me out today so I mean, that show was canceled for a reason.

It was cancelled it was making the kids fat.

Speaking of stop motion, that one claymation with the chickens or w/e...that scared me too. The part where the chickens were about to be killed. I always had nightmares that they actually did get killed and then I would be next...

SAVE THE CHICKENS WITH THE STAR ROD!

Chicken Run?

I watched that movie all the time as a kid and I loved it.

The video game however creeped me out though.

Caddicarus reviewed it. The game I mean.

Same here o.o

I liked the rest of the movie though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm not usually scared of anything (I love spiders, heights, etc :p) but nightmares usually leave me pretty rattled ><

Star Rod, brotha...

I don't have the video, but it was that episode of spongebob where squidward is telling spongebob some urban legend while they're alone working late shifts..and if anyone has seen it, you know what happened. I slept with the lights on for like a week after I saw that, haha >u< I was only like five or six though

Holy Ship!!

THE HASH-SLINGING SLASHER!!

that mario character with the hammers???

You're a wuss for fearing the Hammer Brother.

I remember when I had nightmares as a kid, it was always something so horrendous and abstract; it just scared me but I couldn't tell you what exactly it was that was scary.

Star Rod, young'un...

pacman scared me
idk

The ghosts out to own the titular character's flank, or the titular character himself...?

This. GAME.

But it's so whimsical...

Ah, the zombies got ya.

Yeah, I really recently brought a ghost into my home on accident. I bought something used from a thrift store that turned out to have a ghost attached to it, but the haunting has been really mundane. Like it opened doors and messed with the electrical stuff for the first couple days, but nothing has happened for weeks now. I understand now that ghosts are just people. I don't believe in demons or anything like that. I just believe in happy ghosts or angry, sad ghosts that are looking to cause some trouble.

But if you rub the trinket, does said ghost appear and give you 3 wishes?

- - - Post Merge - - -

But speaking of the Star Rod, a thing that disturbs me today is a certain Kirby villain showing up as an Assist Trophy.

And I used to dream of playing Fire Red or Emerald, only for it to glitch up, forcing me to have to leave the dream.

I always hated standing close to my bed because I thought that something would grab my leg from under it and pull me under the bed.

I'd never ever dare let my limbs go close to the edge of the bed and to get on the bed, I would jump from a few feet away and land on my bed, curling my limbs up around me to make sure they all made it.

...I was such a freak.

Never liked spiders and still don't.

I used to be afraid of elevators because one time my dad and my brother got stuck in one once and I was scared I'd get stuck in one myself. I'm fine with them now though as long as I'm riding one with other people.

mirrors used to scare the sh!t out of me, I never liked walking past them because I felt like my reflection was always watching me, I couldn't even look in mirrors for too long, because I was scared of my own reflection, as a kid I believed my reflection was just another version of me trapped inside another world, and if I stared at it for too long it would start moving on it's own or would come out of the mirror to kill me so it can replace me, even now sometimes I can't look into the mirror often without feeling like something is watching me

Looking at other people for too long, even now I can't look people directly in the face when talking to them it's not bad as it was back then though it still happens, but anyhoo when I was child people's faces would start to warp and twist whenever I looked at them, sometimes they would start to melt, my mind liked f-ing me up sometimes lol to the point that it made me hate looking at others when talking to them,but if I didn't look at people who were talking to me I was seen as rude so I really had no choice then to just deal with it

the dead girl in my old childhood home that would always hit me and stand at the edge of my bed when i was sleeping

Last edited:
children that used to use their sleeves to wipe their noses and then you'd see the crystallised snot running up their sleeve hours later

Back