• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is your favourite Nintendo DS game ( on any DS console)

KittenNoir

🌸 Meow 🌸
Bells
Island
Cosa Bella
Orange Hybrid Rose
Pink Hybrid Rose
Red Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
White Rose
White Rose
If you had to pick what are/were your top 3 games on any Nintendo DS console ?

These are my 3 games:

1) Theme Park

I spent many many hours on this game I have always loved the pixel graphics and being able to design your own theme park. I liked unlocking all the new rides and stores and watching my customers come into my park. I also like that you could buy land in different countries to open new parks. And each country had different food stores, land , weather which was very cool ☺️

1646485731177.png
1646485877694.png

2) Super Princess Peach

This is when I really started getting into the Mario series the graphics were super cute. I was 9 years old when this game came out and I'm pretty sure it was the first game I fully completed and played it over and over. 10/10 game I recommended it to anyone who listened :p

1646485987490.png
1646486016403.png

3) MySims

I had not discovered animal crossing yet haha although the graphics look similar. But I remember spending hours on this game trying to unlock everything for my house and character. I would like to go back and delete my game and start over it is a very relaxed game with cute characters :)

1646486468093.png
1646486504949.png

I never picked up Super Princess Peach but it does look very cute 💞 honestly there out to be more games where you play mainly as Princess Peach in her own story rather than just games in the style of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D World where she's just a selectable character.

On topic, here are a handful of some of my favorite Nintendo DS games and why:

61FzPoTm51L.jpg

This is an absolute BLAST 🥰 I love the artstyle, the story is so fun and memorable and the dialouge is cute and clever

71KmFNCHBTL._SL1110_.jpg

I played this way too much back as a kid on the original FAT nintendo DS console lol I still go back and play with my nintendogs every so often!

71YHRV-e31L._SL1265_.jpg
Super_Mario_64_DS_Coverart.png

These two went hand in hand and I love them both so much 🥰💞 I spent a lot of my time playing these, they are a ton of fun.

1646487547767.jpeg
Pokemon_White_2.png

Of course I have to mention Pokemon White/White 2 💞 these are the two versions I picked up and I can't get over how much I love Gen 5. The fast-paced battle style, the Pokemon/trainer animated sprites, seasons, soundtrack, the Pokemon themselves, the region and characters and story... It was all done right.
Okay I need to stop here otherwise this list will never end omg 🥰 that is a true testament to the power of the Nintendo DS

I loved My Sims, although I played the Wii version. I think each versions are a little different. I remember enjoying the Wii game a lot more. As for DS games, I’ll go with Pokémon Soul Silver where I could reunite with my Croconaw from the very start. I also had fun memories with Mario Kart 7. I can’t really think of a last one. The game I put the most hours into is probably Wild World. That was the game I’d play coming back from school each day.

I couldn't rank my top 3 favorites but I can tell you what they are:

81+PTeVw3oL._SX385_.jpg
I got this game for my birthday back in 2010 and while I was never very good at designing microgames I still had a ton of fun with it. It's set up a lot like Mario Paint and it's really intuitive and fun to play around with. I composed quite a few music pieces and I also attempted a comic series. I did make a few microgames but they were never very elaborate. Despite that I can easily say that this is one of my favorite DS games of all time.

51esCek-wML.jpg
Okay this one might seem kinda silly but hear me out. This was one of the very first DS games I got way back in like 2007, and of all the pet simulation games I've played this is by far my favorite one. The user interface is really well designed, there are a bunch of cages/bottles/wheels to choose from, the hamster can be dressed up, there are minigames, you can interact with the hamster in so many ways, etc etc. I still go back and play it once in a while because even as an adult I think it's fun and cute.

Of course I have to talk about this one! Even as a 12 year old who bought this way back when I didn't like it quite as much as the original on the N64, but I still had a lot of fun playing it when I did. I especially liked being able to play as Wario, since there are very few games like this where you can play as him. The graphics (imo) are kinda on par with the N64, and the control isn't quite as fluid. I wish they had waited and released a remake on the Wii tbh. But the minigames are a blast, there are more missions to complete (including the King Boo/Goomboss/Chief Chilly missions which are great), and at its core it's still SM64 so I do find joy in playing it.

Honorable Mention:
61SHEZJH0QL.jpg
So, truth be told, this is now my least favorite Animal Crossing game. But when I got it it was the most recent game in the series (around May-June 2008) and I loved playing it as a kid because it was a fresh new experience compared to the Gamecube game. Of course it lacks holidays but there are new villagers, new furniture, the town is laid out very differently, gameplay style is quite different, graphics (despite being on a DS) were updated, there were new things to do. There was a lot to like about this game. It kinda became obsolete to me once City Folk was released but I remember all the fun times I had playing Wild World as a kid.

I feel like Gen 5 pokemon would go on this list somewhere but I've never had the opportunity to play it so idk. I wouldn't say that Pearl would go on this list but perhaps Black/White would 🤔

Man, the DS is such a powerhouse of a handheld console. I used to be hauled on many long car rides to visit family and my DS was always my companion. My top five favorites (excluding Wild World):

1. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
I loved everything about this game: story, atmosphere, music. One of the best of the point-and-click genre and it's always the first game I'm eager to recommend if someone is looking for this genre.

2. Radiant Historia
This got ported to the 3DS but I originally played it on the DS. It had a fun grid-based battle system and the towns/world were fun to explore. I LOVED the characters.

3. Pokemon Diamond
Beyond Gen 1 and 2, Gen 4 was the one I played the most.

4. Nintendogs: Labs and Friends
I spent a lot of time with Nintendogs (multiple versions), but this one holds my heart because I could own corgis. This game was ahead of its time for this level of simulation (not Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 level, but y'know): buying things for your pets, interactive walks and competitions, playing with them, seeing other dogs. Always relaxed with this.

5. Rune Factory 2
Rune Factory remains one of my favorite game series because it combines all the things I love in a videogame. I lived and breathed Rune Factory 2 when it launched. I'm unable to recommend it over 4, but the storyline separation this game introduced was fantastic. I married Mana in my first playthrough, Dorothy in the second.

I never picked up Super Princess Peach but it does look very cute 💞 honestly there out to be more games where you play mainly as Princess Peach in her own story rather than just games in the style of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D World where she's just a selectable character.

On topic, here are a handful of some of my favorite Nintendo DS games and why:

61FzPoTm51L.jpg

This is an absolute BLAST 🥰 I love the artstyle, the story is so fun and memorable and the dialouge is cute and clever

71KmFNCHBTL._SL1110_.jpg

I played this way too much back as a kid on the original FAT nintendo DS console lol I still go back and play with my nintendogs every so often!

71YHRV-e31L._SL1265_.jpg

These two went hand in hand and I love them both so much 🥰💞 I spent a lot of my time playing these, they are a ton of fun.

View attachment 432549
Pokemon_White_2.png

Of course I have to mention Pokemon White/White 2 💞 these are the two versions I picked up and I can't get over how much I love Gen 5. The fast-paced battle style, the Pokemon/trainer animated sprites, seasons, soundtrack, the Pokemon themselves, the region and characters and story... It was all done right.
Okay I need to stop here otherwise this list will never end omg 🥰 that is a true testament to the power of the Nintendo DS
Omg I completely forgot about Nintendogs !!!! I had this one

1646515735192.png

I remember Super Mario Bros but I have never seen Mario and Luigi partners in crime that looks so cool if I was to ever find it in a game store i'd get it :)
Post automatically merged:

I loved My Sims, although I played the Wii version. I think each versions are a little different. I remember enjoying the Wii game a lot more. As for DS games, I’ll go with Pokémon Soul Silver where I could reunite with my Croconaw from the very start. I also had fun memories with Mario Kart 7. I can’t really think of a last one. The game I put the most hours into is probably Wild World. That was the game I’d play coming back from school each day.
I really loved racing other people online in Mario kart on the 3ds I kinda like it more than on the switch.

I couldn't rank my top 3 favorites but I can tell you what they are:

81+PTeVw3oL._SX385_.jpg
I got this game for my birthday back in 2010 and while I was never very good at designing microgames I still had a ton of fun with it. It's set up a lot like Mario Paint and it's really intuitive and fun to play around with. I composed quite a few music pieces and I also attempted a comic series. I did make a few microgames but they were never very elaborate. Despite that I can easily say that this is one of my favorite DS games of all time.

51esCek-wML.jpg
Okay this one might seem kinda silly but hear me out. This was one of the very first DS games I got way back in like 2007, and of all the pet simulation games I've played this is by far my favorite one. The user interface is really well designed, there are a bunch of cages/bottles/wheels to choose from, the hamster can be dressed up, there are minigames, you can interact with the hamster in so many ways, etc etc. I still go back and play it once in a while because even as an adult I think it's fun and cute.

Of course I have to talk about this one! Even as a 12 year old who bought this way back when I didn't like it quite as much as the original on the N64, but I still had a lot of fun playing it when I did. I especially liked being able to play as Wario, since there are very few games like this where you can play as him. The graphics (imo) are kinda on par with the N64, and the control isn't quite as fluid. I wish they had waited and released a remake on the Wii tbh. But the minigames are a blast, there are more missions to complete (including the King Boo/Goomboss/Chief Chilly missions which are great), and at its core it's still SM64 so I do find joy in playing it.

Honorable Mention:
61SHEZJH0QL.jpg
So, truth be told, this is now my least favorite Animal Crossing game. But when I got it it was the most recent game in the series (around May-June 2008) and I loved playing it as a kid because it was a fresh new experience compared to the Gamecube game. Of course it lacks holidays but there are new villagers, new furniture, the town is laid out very differently, gameplay style is quite different, graphics (despite being on a DS) were updated, there were new things to do. There was a lot to like about this game. It kinda became obsolete to me once City Folk was released but I remember all the fun times I had playing Wild World as a kid.

I feel like Gen 5 pokemon would go on this list somewhere but I've never had the opportunity to play it so idk. I wouldn't say that Pearl would go on this list but perhaps Black/White would 🤔

Yasss Hamsterz Life !!! my sister had this game and she also had Purr pals

1646516030964.png

I remember fighting over these 2 games haha :)

Man, the DS is such a powerhouse of a handheld console. I used to be hauled on many long car rides to visit family and my DS was always my companion. My top five favorites (excluding Wild World):

1. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
I loved everything about this game: story, atmosphere, music. One of the best of the point-and-click genre and it's always the first game I'm eager to recommend if someone is looking for this genre.

2. Radiant Historia
This got ported to the 3DS but I originally played it on the DS. It had a fun grid-based battle system and the towns/world were fun to explore. I LOVED the characters.

3. Pokemon Diamond
Beyond Gen 1 and 2, Gen 4 was the one I played the most.

4. Nintendogs: Labs and Friends
I spent a lot of time with Nintendogs (multiple versions), but this one holds my heart because I could own corgis. This game was ahead of its time for this level of simulation (not Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 level, but y'know): buying things for your pets, interactive walks and competitions, playing with them, seeing other dogs. Always relaxed with this.

5. Rune Factory 2
Rune Factory remains one of my favorite game series because it combines all the things I love in a videogame. I lived and breathed Rune Factory 2 when it launched. I'm unable to recommend it over 4, but the storyline separation this game introduced was fantastic. I married Mana in my first playthrough, Dorothy in the second.
I know what you mean my DS and 3DS went all around with me even From Australia to the USA and back . Reading all your recommendations make me want to go to the shops and get these games ☺️

Last edited:
The Nintendo DS definitely had a lot of good games on it, and I remember playing it on the road a lot. Here's my top 5 (with limited explanations because effort):
1) Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger was originally released on the SNES, but I never got the chance to play it until it was released on the DS, and I loved it. It held up very well 13 years later and still holds up today.

2) Pokemon SoulSilver
For me, SoulSilver is the best Pokemon game ever. I poured hundreds of hours into it and managed to fully complete the national Pokedex, something I've never done before.

3) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
An excellent RPG, I feel like it's the best game of the Mario & Luigi series.

4) WarioWare: Touched!
My favorite WarioWare game, I poured tons of hours into it and enjoyed most of the different microgames.

5) Kirby: Canvas Curse
A really fun Kirby game that used the touch screen quite well.

Honorable Mentions:
Animal Crossing: Wild World
I still have lots of fond memories of Wild World, and while I haven't played it in ages, it's my second favorite AC game (behind NH).

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Hard to imagine GTA being on a Nintendo system (and the DS no less), but it was a very good game.

Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2
Gen 5 was a really solid generation for Pokemon, definitely enjoyed both these games.

Ahh the DS was my first console, so a lot of my favorite games on there are also really nostalgic for me. ;v; Here's my picks!

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

617iOqW0EkL._SX466_.jpg

I loved EoS, so, so much, and it may have made me bawl on multiple occasions. It's got a really incredible storyline, and I found practically the entire cast to be really charming, even down to the minor NPC teams. The pixel artwork is also very pretty and atmospheric, and a beautiful soundtrack as well. Honestly, I can't recommend this one enough.

2. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation/Reverie

614hBOHd3bL.jpg

This was my second Dragon Quest game, and the one that really sealed my love for the series. I was so invested in the story, and the party members still hold a dear place in my heart. I'm definitely planning to revisit this one once I'm caught up with the DQ series, especially since I don't think I ever completed the postgame.

3. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride

61vvWLXNX9L.jpg

And another DQ game! I really enjoyed this one too, and the way the story spans across years gave the game a really grand feeling. It really does put the characters through the wringer though, so playing through it definitely felt a little rough at times, but like, in a good way, and it's balanced out with some gentler moments as well. I actually played through (most of) this one three times, to get to know each of the marriage options.

The Nintendo DS definitely had a lot of good games on it, and I remember playing it on the road a lot. Here's my top 5 (with limited explanations because effort):
1) Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger was originally released on the SNES, but I never got the chance to play it until it was released on the DS, and I loved it. It held up very well 13 years later and still holds up today.

2) Pokemon SoulSilver
For me, SoulSilver is the best Pokemon game ever. I poured hundreds of hours into it and managed to fully complete the national Pokedex, something I've never done before.

3) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
An excellent RPG, I feel like it's the best game of the Mario & Luigi series.

4) WarioWare: Touched!
My favorite WarioWare game, I poured tons of hours into it and enjoyed most of the different microgames.

5) Kirby: Canvas Curse
A really fun Kirby game that used the touch screen quite well.

Honorable Mentions:
Animal Crossing: Wild World
I still have lots of fond memories of Wild World, and while I haven't played it in ages, it's my second favorite AC game (behind NH).

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Hard to imagine GTA being on a Nintendo system (and the DS no less), but it was a very good game.

Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2
Gen 5 was a really solid generation for Pokemon, definitely enjoyed both these games.
How did I not know GTA was on the Nintendo?? I love the GTA series!!!! And kirby canvas curse? That sounds like a game I really need to look into.

Ahh the DS was my first console, so a lot of my favorite games on there are also really nostalgic for me. ;v; Here's my picks!

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

617iOqW0EkL._SX466_.jpg

I loved EoS, so, so much, and it may have made me bawl on multiple occasions. It's got a really incredible storyline, and I found practically the entire cast to be really charming, even down to the minor NPC teams. The pixel artwork is also very pretty and atmospheric, and a beautiful soundtrack as well. Honestly, I can't recommend this one enough.

2. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation/Reverie

614hBOHd3bL.jpg

This was my second Dragon Quest game, and the one that really sealed my love for the series. I was so invested in the story, and the party members still hold a dear place in my heart. I'm definitely planning to revisit this one once I'm caught up with the DQ series, especially since I don't think I ever completed the postgame.

3. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride

61vvWLXNX9L.jpg

And another DQ game! I really enjoyed this one too, and the way the story spans across years gave the game a really grand feeling. It really does put the characters through the wringer though, so playing through it definitely felt a little rough at times, but like, in a good way, and it's balanced out with some gentler moments as well. I actually played through (most of) this one three times, to get to know each of the marriage options.
I never had the chance to play Dragon Quest but I remember seeing kids play this at school during lunch and just how popular it was :p

I am really loving all you guys favourite games I seriously need to go on ebay to find these amazing games who have been suggesting. :)

My favorites are admittedly fairly generic.

1. Pokemon Platinum. While I first started playing Pokemon with Fire Red and Leaf Green, I didn't get super into the series as a whole until Diamond and Pearl which I played extensively. Platinum still gives me that rush of nostalgia for Diamond, but fixes every problem I had with it and then some. I unfortunately lost my first copy, but I still had just as much fun starting over on a new copy. I picked up another one last year and it honestly still holds up just as well now as it did then, plus knowing more about the games and the series allowed me to have an even greater appreciation for the game this time through.

2. Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Johto is one of my favorite regions and I especially loved being able to go back to Kanto, so when the games were being remade I was ecstatic. I bought Heart Gold right at launch and spent way too much of my life with that game, so much so that the contacts actually started wearing out and the game often takes a few tries to read. This was pretty much everything that a remake was supposed to be, sticking close enough to the original that it's recognizable as such, yet acknowledging and implementing improvements brought by the third game in the generation, plus adding the changes and improvements of the current gen. And then, on top of all of that, they also added completely new features as well such as the Pokeathlon or the Safari Zone which was absent in the original Gen 2 games. Essentially, it's the exact opposite of what Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl were.

And now for something that isn't Pokemon:

3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I loved Superstar Saga, and when I came across this game sitting on a store shelf I had to have it. It does everything Superstar Saga did well and then more. I love how even the same game world becomes so different based on how you can interact with it, depending on whether you're using Mario and Luigi or Bowser, and the puzzles and floors inside Bowser are really well designed and a nice nod to the 2d Mario platformers. Great music too, especially that final boss song that goes way harder than it has any business doing and is incredible. I have Partners in Time but have never played it for some reason, maybe I should think about booting that up one of these days...

4. Pokemon Black and White. Surprise surprise, another Pokemon game makes the list. In my opinion the DS era was where the Pokemon series peaked. B/W are a shining example of this. While many disliked it, I loved that the game essentially acted as a sort of "soft reboot" of the series, limiting you to only Gen 5 Pokemon until after the Elite Four. It forced me to try out various Pokemon I'd have likely skipped for the more tried-and-true ones of previous gens, and I loved the designs of the vast majority of these Pokemon. I also loved how dynamic the game was, with routes and cities changing not only in visuals, but in accessible areas as well as the seasons changed each month. Even the music was incredibly dynamic, with songs that changed with the seasons, or depending on which NPCs you spoke to in an area (Village Bridge comes to mind here, but also Anville and Accumula town had this as well), or in some cases whether you were walking or running. I also can't forget the views and camera work the first time I crossed over the Skyarrow Bridge into Castelia City, and the music for that route is my second favorite overall in the whole series. It really felt like the developers poured their hearts and souls into this game, so it's a real shame they were received so poorly relative to the games before it.

5. Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (that's the US title anyway). I bought this one for $6 at GameStop on recommendation from a user on another forum to tide me over in the wait for New Leaf and it was way better than I expected. It has a fair amount of similarities to Wild World such as the rolling log map, interior decoration, and "villagers" that move in and out periodically, but it goes significantly deeper than Wild World does in terms of villager interaction, shops, and just about every other aspect of the game. As you might have guessed by the name, the game does have a fairly strong focus around magic, with a very extensive spell book based around building magic phrases from a huge list of words (the in-game school the game is based around has classes most days to help guide you along) which can help you with quests or just daily life, but in the end you're really just free to live your life around the town like you would in Wild World. I would highly recommend trying this game, but unfortunately prices for this game have spiked in recent years so it might not be worth getting unless you can find a great price somewhere (at this point, even $40 would be a good deal).

Honorable Mentions:

Mario Kart DS. Not much to say here, it's a classic.

Animal Crossing: Wild World. Not the strongest in the series, but what it did it did well enough to be an enjoyable Animal Crossing experience, if not a bit barebones for Animal Crossing standards. It provided me with a couple years of near-daily (and weekly at the very least) Animal Crossing entertainment and I still check back in on it from time to time.

Guitar Hero: On Tour series. I was obsessed with Guitar Hero for a time, and these games were surprisingly good for what they had to work with. I did make the mistake of playing this on my first DS Lite without a screen protector, and it scratched the ever living crap out of the touch screen to the point where I was surprised it was even working at all. I've since learned my lesson. Unfortunately I don't play anywhere near as frequently as I used to, and as such am nowhere near as good as I used to be at it.

WarioWare: DIY. While I never was the best at making Microgames (I did have a couple I was fairly proud of though) and spent much of my time with the game maker just butchering the included microgames, I did have a lot of fun with the song maker and made quite a few fairly decent remakes of other video game songs. Every now and then I jump back into the music maker and churn out another song.

Pokémon White 2/Black 2. For me the last good original main games, I did like ORAS and it was a great remake, but these 2's (haha..pun) definitely made a huge impact on me. I also liked HG/SS a lot but since I could never play online on them, the fun was doing..brew stuff to them :p Plus they got terribly expensive due to scalpers etc. so it's not that I can play them for real anyway again.

Mario Kart DS. Terrible AI and steering but still good some good tracks going and there are definitely worse games *cough 8/8d cough*. The missions were also fun even though I don't think I ever completed them LOL.

Also need to mention the various Persona/SMT imports from the US they carried here physical. Good fun and I think I even got warned on another forum for posting "that green one" LMAO.

My favorites are admittedly fairly generic.

1. Pokemon Platinum. While I first started playing Pokemon with Fire Red and Leaf Green, I didn't get super into the series as a whole until Diamond and Pearl which I played extensively. Platinum still gives me that rush of nostalgia for Diamond, but fixes every problem I had with it and then some. I unfortunately lost my first copy, but I still had just as much fun starting over on a new copy. I picked up another one last year and it honestly still holds up just as well now as it did then, plus knowing more about the games and the series allowed me to have an even greater appreciation for the game this time through.

2. Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Johto is one of my favorite regions and I especially loved being able to go back to Kanto, so when the games were being remade I was ecstatic. I bought Heart Gold right at launch and spent way too much of my life with that game, so much so that the contacts actually started wearing out and the game often takes a few tries to read. This was pretty much everything that a remake was supposed to be, sticking close enough to the original that it's recognizable as such, yet acknowledging and implementing improvements brought by the third game in the generation, plus adding the changes and improvements of the current gen. And then, on top of all of that, they also added completely new features as well such as the Pokeathlon or the Safari Zone which was absent in the original Gen 2 games. Essentially, it's the exact opposite of what Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl were.

And now for something that isn't Pokemon:

3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I loved Superstar Saga, and when I came across this game sitting on a store shelf I had to have it. It does everything Superstar Saga did well and then more. I love how even the same game world becomes so different based on how you can interact with it, depending on whether you're using Mario and Luigi or Bowser, and the puzzles and floors inside Bowser are really well designed and a nice nod to the 2d Mario platformers. Great music too, especially that final boss song that goes way harder than it has any business doing and is incredible. I have Partners in Time but have never played it for some reason, maybe I should think about booting that up one of these days...

4. Pokemon Black and White. Surprise surprise, another Pokemon game makes the list. In my opinion the DS era was where the Pokemon series peaked. B/W are a shining example of this. While many disliked it, I loved that the game essentially acted as a sort of "soft reboot" of the series, limiting you to only Gen 5 Pokemon until after the Elite Four. It forced me to try out various Pokemon I'd have likely skipped for the more tried-and-true ones of previous gens, and I loved the designs of the vast majority of these Pokemon. I also loved how dynamic the game was, with routes and cities changing not only in visuals, but in accessible areas as well as the seasons changed each month. Even the music was incredibly dynamic, with songs that changed with the seasons, or depending on which NPCs you spoke to in an area (Village Bridge comes to mind here, but also Anville and Accumula town had this as well), or in some cases whether you were walking or running. I also can't forget the views and camera work the first time I crossed over the Skyarrow Bridge into Castelia City, and the music for that route is my second favorite overall in the whole series. It really felt like the developers poured their hearts and souls into this game, so it's a real shame they were received so poorly relative to the games before it.

5. Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (that's the US title anyway). I bought this one for $6 at GameStop on recommendation from a user on another forum to tide me over in the wait for New Leaf and it was way better than I expected. It has a fair amount of similarities to Wild World such as the rolling log map, interior decoration, and "villagers" that move in and out periodically, but it goes significantly deeper than Wild World does in terms of villager interaction, shops, and just about every other aspect of the game. As you might have guessed by the name, the game does have a fairly strong focus around magic, with a very extensive spell book based around building magic phrases from a huge list of words (the in-game school the game is based around has classes most days to help guide you along) which can help you with quests or just daily life, but in the end you're really just free to live your life around the town like you would in Wild World. I would highly recommend trying this game, but unfortunately prices for this game have spiked in recent years so it might not be worth getting unless you can find a great price somewhere (at this point, even $40 would be a good deal).

Honorable Mentions:

Mario Kart DS. Not much to say here, it's a classic.

Animal Crossing: Wild World. Not the strongest in the series, but what it did it did well enough to be an enjoyable Animal Crossing experience, if not a bit barebones for Animal Crossing standards. It provided me with a couple years of near-daily (and weekly at the very least) Animal Crossing entertainment and I still check back in on it from time to time.

Guitar Hero: On Tour series. I was obsessed with Guitar Hero for a time, and these games were surprisingly good for what they had to work with. I did make the mistake of playing this on my first DS Lite without a screen protector, and it scratched the ever living crap out of the touch screen to the point where I was surprised it was even working at all. I've since learned my lesson. Unfortunately I don't play anywhere near as frequently as I used to, and as such am nowhere near as good as I used to be at it.

WarioWare: DIY. While I never was the best at making Microgames (I did have a couple I was fairly proud of though) and spent much of my time with the game maker just butchering the included microgames, I did have a lot of fun with the song maker and made quite a few fairly decent remakes of other video game songs. Every now and then I jump back into the music maker and churn out another song.
A lot of amazing games mentioned here :) I should probs really get into Pokémon

1. Clubhouse Games: A majorly underrated collection of games (card games, board games, bowling, darts, etc.) that you could play on the go. Was amazing on school trips as you could do download play with up to 7 other people and all they needed was a DS as you could all play with just one game card. It was decent to play alone just against the AI as well.

2. Animal Crossing Wild World: My introduction to the Animal Crossing series. Sure by today's standards it's super basic but I played that game to death back in the day. I didn't get to visit other people in it much due to not having wifi at home, but I did do local play with other kids at school a couple times.

3. Mario Kart DS: My very first game in the Mario Kart series. Probably took me like 9 years to finally fully complete everything in order to unlock the alternate title screen but it was worth it. I absolutely loved the Balloon Battle mode. I rarely got to play it with others but I'd play Balloon Battle for hours just against the AI and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. Pokemon: The best ones in my opinion on the DS are SoulSilver and Platinum though I only got Platinum recently and actually played Diamond as a kid. Black and Black 2 were good as well but gen 3 and 4 are my favourites. I didn't start with Pokemon on the DS but these are some of my favourite games in the series.

I have a huge soft spot for the DS since it was my first console. The form factor and game library keep me invested to this day. I could easily make this list a few dozen games long. For obvious reasons I’ll keep it down to 4.

1. Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
B633B038-1103-448A-92E3-5FC90FFD9FB4.jpeg

While HeartGold was my first Pokémon game, I still think Black 2 and White 2 are the strongest Pokémon games. The Unova region was massively expanded, the music pushes the system to its limits, and the postgame could keep you busy for ages. I regret selling my childhood copy every day.

2. Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney Investigations 2
D73E0C5A-34D4-472A-9138-C2CDA4A8CCA3.jpeg

Rather than playing this game myself I watched someone do a let’s play of the fan translation on YouTube. This is the best Ace Attorney game ever made. The cases are long and complex, the soundtrack pulls you right in, and the writing is as witty as you would expect from the series. I can’t wait to play this myself once I’m fluent in Japanese.

3. Dragon Quest VI
231D437C-C90D-4206-AAC6-D909DF55673E.jpeg

I’m nostalgic for IX, but I think this entry is the best on the system. The story has some excellent twists and the game gives the player a satisfying challenge.

4. Elite Beat Agents
F6C1EE47-CBF7-40C3-A18D-366E3B4E6147.jpeg

I would do anything for a sequel to this game. The only entry in the Ouendan series released outside of Japan, Elite Beat Agents offers a very unique experience. Instead of selecting levels from a plain menu, each song has a small story. If you do well on one you get a happy ending. Get a game over and things become sour. This made the song list quite small, but the quality of the 2-3 hour campaign more than makes up for it. I honestly recommend this game to anyone, even those who are normally not interested in rhythm games.

*edit because I accidentally click post without finishing*
Let's see, games that haven't been mentioned here.....
  • The World Ends With You: Looking at my icon and signature, of course I had to put it here :'p Amazing OST (specially its sequel, NEO:TWEWY) super fun gameplay, and very nice art style; it's one of the few games I replay often. If you can't find the DS verison, a remake was made for the Switch, but I find the pixelart and gameplay more charming on the DS.
  • Starfy: A super cute platformer!! You play as a little starfish helping a rabbit recover his memories. The art is so cute and the story is laid out like a comic. The game itself is pretty easy, but there's lots of exploring to do if you want to 100% it!
  • Rhaspody: I still haven't finished this one, but I'm liking it lots! A very charming RPG, the pixelart is amazing.
  • 999: If you can stomach M-rated games & some (written) gore, this is one of the best visual novels I have played. The use of the DS' double screen for the storytelling is striking.
  • Rhythm Heaven: From the creators of Wario Ware, a very quirky rhythm game! I actually would buy its 3DS version (Megamix) since it has most of the DS minigames + ones from the GBA, WII and new ones.
collage.png

5. Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (that's the US title anyway). I bought this one for $6 at GameStop (...)
Omg you don't know how much I envy you right now :'p Magician Quest is one of my favorite games, but I wasn't able to find it in stores back when it came out. I have been trying to get a copy for some years, but the lowest I have seen it go was for $70 and without the box, just the cartridge...

Last edited:
Looking back at my playtime on my system my top games are:

Pokémon Soul Silver No surprise here. Gen 2 is my all time favorite and the remakes were just amazing. In fact I am replaying that right now with a new team and a fanfic to go along with my game.

Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ok a little bit of a surprise, but I have played all the Layton games and loved every second of them…but I expected one of the other games in the series to be my most played but I’m not complaining, that game was amazing and such a fun time to play.

New Leaf Not going to say anything else here.

Fantasy Life One of the most fun games I have ever played and would give anything for it to be ported to the switch.

Fire Emblem Fates I have all three routes and can’t say which I enjoyed more but I have soo many hours and play throughs put into this game.

Well I know I have played more games but those are my top 5 most played.

LweKNEp.jpg

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Perhaps what is regarded by myself and many others as the BEST Animal Crossing game in the entire series, Animal Crossing: New Leaf introduced a lot of new concepts to the series, let you be the mayor of your own town for the first time, and there's just so much to do in the game. I've played every AC game, including all of the spinoffs, and none of them have even come close to New Leaf in terms of enjoyability and replayability for me.

vRPMI7D.jpg

2. Pokemon Conquest

Perhaps one of the most underrated spinoff games ever, Pokemon Conquest combines both Nobunaga's Ambition and Pokemon to create a game where you use warriors' abilities and the Pokemon they control to fight other kingdoms and take them over. Sporting a vast range of warriors and Pokemon to acquire, the ability to upgrade parts of your kingdom, and an expansive postgame, younger me had TONS of fun with this game and it felt almost magical, which is what a game of this caliber should do. If you've never played it before then you've missed out.

iF3VSav.jpg

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D may just be another iteration of Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii, and it has also been given a definitive edition on the Switch. It also may not have the best graphics and playability being on the 3DS, but at least for me, being able to experience one of the best JRPGs ever for the first time is something I'll never take for granted. The battles are epic, the story is epic, the writing is epic, the characters are epic, just everything about it is epic. If you haven't played the original Xenoblade Chronicles yet, I suggest you try out Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition on the Nintendo Switch. There's also Xenoblade Chronicles X, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is set to release very soon this year.

1654823864578.png
1654823901496.png
1654823950699.png

1654823983956.png
1654824011251.png
1654824050290.png

1654824079660.png
1654824223880.png
1654824287595.png

These are among my favorites I had growing up. I'm really happy I grew up with a few hidden gems on the system

I love the DS as a system so much. Touch controls were fun. I still wanna go back and play ds games I didn't have such as Wild World, Professor Layton, and Okamiden. Infinite backlog.

71gOGWdJFYL._SL1265_.jpg

best Mario kart in my opinion, simple yet skill driven.

61SHEZJH0QL._SX385_.jpg

althought the game is dead, when it was alive, it was gold.

71YHRV-e31L._SL1265_.jpg

played this game so much with friends

51JWbp4cljL._SX385_.jpg

funny, fun, and interesting story that glued you to your screen

61y0vonCSbL._SX425_.jpg

first Lego game, played this a lot, lookin back now it wasn't that good but i remember it well.

Attachments

• 51JWbp4cljL._SX385_.jpg
    51JWbp4cljL._SX385_.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 8
View attachment 460223
best Mario kart in my opinion, simple yet skill driven.

View attachment 460224
althought the game is dead, when it was alive, it was gold.

View attachment 460225
played this game so much with friends

View attachment 460227
funny, fun, and interesting story that glued you to your screen

View attachment 460228
first Lego game, played this a lot, lookin back now it wasn't that good but i remember it well.
I loved LEGO Batman how could I forget !!!!!! I loved playing all 3!!!!

Back