What is the dialogue like in your native language?

It's odd, I have Beardo, a smug, and he talks a lot more about auditioning/acting like the others, thats fine. For some reason keeps talking to the female villagers, and calling them Mommy. So yeah, did smug villagers break because they feel very childish now...

Oh wow, my smug villager definitely doesn't do that! Is this in English, or another language? Because if it's in English, that does seem VERY strange for a smug villager to do!

Im super tempted to change my language to portuguese if its an option!! However ive heard that lesser known languages like that can sound sort of boring, plus apparently it resets friendships? i hope not

I've been playing AC in Japanese since New Leaf. I tried the game in English to start this time, but I thought the dialogue was kind of... cheesy? compared to the Japanese. I prefer the catchphrases and bug/fish puns in Japanese so I switched back.

I wish that was an option for portuguese!! Normally brazilian translators tend to add a lot of character. I might change to spanish, italian or french when I am bored lol

Yeah, i wish there was a way to find out for sure. It seems like regardless of what langauge was used as base, the other translations still add tweaks and edits. It is all very fun and interesting and makes you want to try all the other versions.

Ha! This is interesting to me because i always check nookipidia to see what are villagers named in other languages. I play the english version because there is no option for my native language, but i have so much fun trying to come up with names/puns/catchphrases for villagers and also the puns you get when you catch fish and bugs.
What names would you pick for them instead? it might help me in my quest to come up with names/puns for villagers in my native langauge XD
For Flora I wouldn't have changed her name, seeing the word also exists in Spanish (and Fauna is still named Fauna in Spanish, lol). For Phoebe I would probably have named her "Ceniza" which means "ash", you know, phoenix and all.

Im super tempted to change my language to portuguese if its an option!! However ive heard that lesser known languages like that can sound sort of boring, plus apparently it resets friendships? i hope not

Interesting... It hasn't seemed to reset the friendship meter for me, but I can't be sure. I hope it doesn't do that! My peppies still greet me with "How's my best friend?" when I switch back to English, so who knows!

I've been playing AC in Japanese since New Leaf. I tried the game in English to start this time, but I thought the dialogue was kind of... cheesy? compared to the Japanese. I prefer the catchphrases and bug/fish puns in Japanese so I switched back.

Yeah, I agree. The villagers seem to talk more normally in Japanese, but in English a number of them seem like caricatures, almost. Like they have one thing that they're obsessed with, and it's cranked up to 11. Not all personalities, of course: I think crankies, smugs, snooties and normals are quite good in English (and I love the peppies, even though they're definitely cheesy). But some of the other personalities make you feel like you're talking to a cartoon character, if you know what I mean.

Interesting... It hasn't seemed to reset the friendship meter for me, but I can't be sure. I hope it doesn't do that! My peppies still greet me with "How's my best friend?" when I switch back to English, so who knows!

must've just been a rumour then, i just heard from someone it messes with the game when you go back and forth between languages but if you're doing it then it should be fine

Whitney for example, her Spanish name is "Lupe", short for Guadalupe, which is a name many elderly women have (it's also the name of a Saint I think). I do appreciate how they made a pun out of the latin name for wolf, "lupus", but it just does't fit her at all imo. Also it sounds too similar to "Lope", Beau's Spanish name (pun on "antílope", Spanish for antelope).

Flora and Phoebe are two that I just can't stand in Spanish. Flora is "Azucena", which yes, it's the name of a flower that is usually pink, but it sounds so outdated and it's not common at all, I would've gone for another flower tbh. Phoebe loses the "phoenix" pun completely and is named "Avelina", an old lady name which conveniently has "ave" (bird) at the beginning.
aww, I love Lupe! but I'm probably biased because I live in a region where the Virgin of Guadalupe is a very significant figure haha. and I just think it's a beautiful name. I also love the old-time-y names, they give the game a lot of character I think. but I can see where you're coming from for sure.

I have the game in spanish, here's my thoughts on all personalities in my native language:

*Uchi: They seem to be pretty friendly, always calling you pet names but also seem a little bit annoyed if you talk to them more than once a day
*Jock: Always talking about doing exercise and giving you tips about best training available on the island
*Snooty: Talk like upper class, never mean but always tell you something about your clothes or their furniture
*Smug: They seem to always have a podcast or blog because is the only thing they talk about, also making remarks about being hipsters and liking things that are not popular
*Normal: Hippie like personality? They talk about aligning their chakras and asking for book recommendations, they seem to love flowers
*Lazy: Love their food and same conversation about bugs giving them DIYs when sleeping, one of my favorites in spanish

Edit:

Forgot Peppy... They talk about being famous and a future popstar, very friendly
And Cranky.. They talk about being older and not liking the same things they used to, like a father figure, Octavian had a conversation about liking 8 bit games more than the new ones

Oh wow, my smug villager definitely doesn't do that! Is this in English, or another language? Because if it's in English, that does seem VERY strange for a smug villager to do!
This is from the English version, he specifies it is for a role in which he plays their children, but he will not drop the topic. It is only with female villagers and it is every eavesdropped conversations with him. Every female villager mentions they are creeped out and I agree XD Either it's just a bad roll of the dice in which I get this conversation, or perhaps there are childish smug villagers as a secondary type.
1588022422908.png

I completely agreee with Altarium, some of the Spanish names make me cringe or cry (Bam, my boy, who's Cornelio ;u; ), there are some charming, like Pupas being Lucky, and there are some that are actually translations (Fang= Colmillo). Also, who decided to change Coco to... Cocaloca? There are some really weird variations.

I decided to play in English to try, and when I changed to Spanish sometimes, the friendships weren't affected, but nicknames and catchphrases got a little bugged and sometimes didn't show up. So I've decided to play in English, since it's also a nice way to practice.

I'm almost sure the italian version is translated from japanese. Too many items have a different name.
just an exemple: These circled are named as "chinese" set.

Anyways, about the villagers dialogue:
Lazy - They never talk about insects, actually very sweet heart and sometimes really smart, last time Cranston talks to me about how all the game is like a... videogame, how Tom Nook is a sketchy dude ( "tipo losco") but he was kidding... xd
Uchie - Very rude at begging but now are friendly and "mature" personality.
Peppy - Actualy i'm in two minds: Audie is always how she will be a pop star, on the other hand Flora is more cheerful and funny.
Smug - My Phil always try to flirt with the others female ostriches in my island. xd Actually i think has a soft spot for Phoebe.
Jock - Work out gym... in NH i'm really not a big fun of this personality, really annoying.
Normal - Very sweet, too much for me, they are ok.
Snooty - A mix between Uchie and Normal. They always appreciate how my character is dressed.
Cranky - I miss this personaly in my island :C

EDIT: Flora name is Rosalba in italian. Actually fits her very well.
Rosa + alba = pink (but also the flower rose) + dawn

Marshall name is Scott... lol

Last edited:
my game is in english and i’m becoming a bit concerned with how frequently zucker (lazy villager) talks about bugs 😳

I have the game in spanish, here's my thoughts on all personalities in my native language:

*Smug: They seem to always have a podcast or blog because is the only thing they talk about, also making remarks about being hipsters and liking things that are not popular
*Normal: Hippie like personality? They talk about aligning their chakras and asking for book recommendations, they seem to love flowers

These two are really interesting, as I haven't come across smugs into podcasting/blogs or normals who are Hippie-ish in either English or Japanese! Very cool. My normals do ask me about books I like in English, but definitely nothing about chakras!

This is from the English version, he specifies it is for a role in which he plays their children, but he will not drop the topic. It is only with female villagers and it is every eavesdropped conversations with him. Every female villager mentions they are creeped out and I agree XD Either it's just a bad roll of the dice in which I get this conversation, or perhaps there are childish smug villagers as a secondary type.

LOl, well, at least your other villager put him in his place and threatened to cancel him! What a truly bizarre conversation!

I'm almost sure the italian version is translated from japanese. Too many items have a different name.
just an example: These circled are named as "chinese" set

You're right, that does sound like it was translated from Japanese, based on the personalities and item names. In Japanese, those same circled items are also called "Chinese _____," while the uncircled items are called "Oriental ___." How interesting that some Europen languages (like French) were translated from English, but Italian was done from Japanese!

Yes peppies always talk about becoming a pop star, an actress, etc. 😅 In Japanese too ? 🤔

Okay, so I played some more in Japanese, and peppies do talk about music and fashion, but they seem a little more self-aware and less "living a fantasy" than in English. In one conversation, Flora said she's like to be on a music show on TV and sing a ballad and play the guitar. But then she did the embarrassed reaction and said that actually, she was just now recently learning the guitar. In another convo, she mentioned that lately she had become interested in fashion. Then something about her interest making her seem shallow/not deep (I think - I had some trouble translating that sentence), but that the number one thing was to wear what you like.

So I think they have the same basic conversation topics in French and Japanese (and English), but the delivery and nuance is a little different.

I tried to get Tangy to talk about acting/music/fashion, but she only wanted to discuss flowers and nature. Then she went in the museum and the only convo I could have was her telling me that looking at the fish on display made her hungry. 😅

Okay, so I played some more in Japanese, and peppies do talk about music and fashion, but they seem a little more self-aware and less "living a fantasy" than in English. In one conversation, Flora said she's like to be on a music show on TV and sing a ballad and play the guitar. But then she did the embarrassed reaction and said that actually, she was just now recently learning the guitar. In another convo, she mentioned that lately she had become interested in fashion. Then something about her interest making her seem shallow/not deep (I think - I had some trouble translating that sentence), but that the number one thing was to wear what you like.

So I think they have the same basic conversation topics in French and Japanese (and English), but the delivery and nuance is a little different.

I tried to get Tangy to talk about acting/music/fashion, but she only wanted to discuss flowers and nature. Then she went in the museum and the only convo I could have was her telling me that looking at the fish on display made her hungry. 😅

Thanks for the report 😉 I think I would prefer the Japanese dialogs😊

If I change the language, would it do anything weird to my save data? I kinda wanna try this out lol

Back