• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is something you wish you could do in Animal Crossing?

This is very silly, but a few years ago I saw someone saying that since the Switch has both a touchscreen and motor sensors, they should let us throw the fishes ourselves when freeing them (either by swipping on the fish or moving your arm with the joycon) and I haven't stop thinking about that ever since. I want to throw sea basses back to the sea as hard I can lol

Autosaving. I wish there was Autosaving. I know time travel and stuff, but you could at least make it optional-.
And I also wish you could write letters to the non-villager NPCs, like Blathers or something, maybe have villagers write better letters back too!
Keep in mind I've only ever played New Leaf, so I have no clue if any of this is in Horizons.
:]

change your height, like the shortest you could go is how tall your player looked in population growing and the tallest would be a little taller than the height players are now in nh. it would be kind of weird tho because there’d be super short players and that could distort patterns/clothing and could effect how interactive furniture works.

Autosaving. I wish there was Autosaving. (...) Keep in mind I've only ever played New Leaf, so I have no clue if any of this is in Horizons. :]
Good news, autosaving is already a thing in ACNH!
I don't trust it much and I always end up saving manually though.... I think it autosaves when leaving/entering a building, during some villager dialogue and after successfully using a tool (fishing, digging up a fossil, etc)

I've always wished we could roller skate or ride bikes. Even better if your villagers could too! Also idk if it's just me but the island in NH feels wayyy too big, we really need a faster way to get around.
Ooo seeing villagers ice skating in a frozen pond in winter would be alot of fun :D or RS putting out an ice skating rink.
I know that's different than what you mentioned but it came to mind and just seems really cute and fun.

1657472247351.png

This is actually something I've wanted to do since I started playing Animal Crossing.

I think we need more multiplayer aspects . Maybe they could add some minigames or like different islands to explore with friends. Also I think that we need a service to get rid of flowers, and Leif to actually remove weeds from our islands. And lastly more clothing. Whether it's more customizable pieces or just more in general.

I've always wanted to go for a jog with Buck around the island when he asks me. It seems a shame to have mountain bikes and cars in the game only for decoration. I would love to have some pets aswell, again it seems pointless having a birdbath, doghouse, etc if you can't use them.
Post automatically merged:

Ooo seeing villagers ice skating in a frozen pond in winter would be alot of fun :D or RS putting out an ice skating rink.
I know that's different than what you mentioned but it came to mind and just seems really cute and fun.
That is a great idea! Nintendo could introduce tricks and see who gains 1st prize.
I would love the option to keep a pet, and to have some birds flying about daily .

While using the construction app it would be nice to change the grass/ground appearance completely rather than having the grassy edging surrounding each paved paths.

I'm gonna add something to the idea that was already discussed about having spaces for villager interaction. This isn't coming out of nowhere as it's already a thing life simulator games do for example stardew valley and it's the concept of dungeons.
Before you say animal crossing would never add this feature since the animals would never "battle" let me remind you of a game the animal crossing fandom wishes to forget called "amiibo festival". While I agree the game is bad I can't deny there are many good ideas on it that were just badly executed. One of the mini games present that was then added to NL in an update as it was praised by the fandom at the time was "desert island escape". In that mini game you could pick three villagers that were stuck on a deserted island and the goal was to collect resources to escape in time before they "lost". The different animals had different abilities by species for example small birds could fly and more easily move to distant spaces and cats caught fish with their paws without needing a fishing rod. The mini game had a very simple battle system with giant snakes and centipedes attacking the animals. While the battle mechanic of luck based spinning wheel was really bad I think the concept is really interesting and I could see it working as a turned based rpg. If you guys want you can search for the minigame and see how the simple battle system works so you better understand what I'm talking about.
We did have animals battling huge snakes and centipedes in the games already so yes it is possible to have it back. You can have a simple but effective battle system and not be graphic about it. They could make it silly cartoon battle like "amiibo festival" did and it would works while keeping it kid friendly. Do it turned based like Dragon quest and have the animals use tools like the sling shot or an axe to attack in silly ways. Your character could join a party of your current residents to explore new places and collect resources for your town. You could even find other animals inside and if you had an empty lot you could ask the animal to move in.
A marriage between the ideas I mentioned above of what "desert island escape" got right with the "mystery island" concept of NW could result in some interesting quest driven additions that I think would be welcomed. These quests could also be used for your character to get to know the animals better and even have the animals interact with each other. Yes I know the animal crossing newer games struggle with good dialog but this dialog could be exclusive to the "dungeon" making it easier to program to just one place and allowing it to be more restricted and better written. The only thing leaving would be resources collected and friendship points between characters. It would be fun if the villager that went on a dungeon with you remembered what happened in there but maybe that's asking to much for now.
This idea could also be used as an online minigame and instead of the animals you went on quest with other players. I really like this idea as it could satisfy different groups of the fandom all in one if done right. It would satisfy: people who want better online gameplay and minigames as they would have something to do with other player, the animal interaction driven people who could go on small adventures with their dreamies and get to know them better, the more action driven people that could go on small quest besides doing island dailies and the designer focused people could gain from collecting resources needed for crafting from these "dungeons" if they so wished.​

Omg I completely agree! It actually bugs me how often the jocks ask this but you don't even have the option to reply. Just let us run around with them dammit!!
Yea I have wanted to do this as well. They ask a lot of questions that you never get to answer. I think dialogue would be better if you could have an actual conversation with them. Dobie came over yesterday and noticed my kitchen . He asked if I would cook him a meal and I would have loved to if they allowed me to.

I'm gonna add something to the idea that was already discussed about having spaces for villager interaction. This isn't coming out of nowhere as it's already a thing life simulator games do for example stardew valley and it's the concept of dungeons.​
Seeing as how Animal Crossing was originally conceived as a sort of dungeon-crawler RPG with life-sim elements, why not? As long as it doesn't distract too much from what Animal Crossing currently is, then I don't mind getting possible glimpses on how the franchise would have been designed if it wasn't focused purely on the life-sim aspect.
— "Desert Island Escape", a amiibo Festival minigame ported to a NL update.

In that mini game you could pick three villagers that were stuck on a deserted island and the goal was to collect resources to escape in time before they "lost". The different animals had different abilities by species for example small birds could fly and more easily move to distant spaces and cats caught fish with their paws without needing a fishing rod. The mini game had a very simple battle system with giant snakes and centipedes attacking the animals. While the battle mechanic of luck based spinning wheel was really bad I think the concept is really interesting and I could see it working as a turned based rpg.
Seems neat. I haven't got the chance to play, but I've known about it for quite some time, and figured that the series would've probably resemble this minigame if they kept the original RPG concept.
Yea I have wanted to do this as well. They ask a lot of questions that you never get to answer. I think dialogue would be better if you could have an actual conversation with them. Dobie came over yesterday and noticed my kitchen . He asked if I would cook him a meal and I would have loved to if they allowed me to.
This is something I sadly don't see more people wanting in these games when it comes to dialogue. Animal Crossing would no doubt have much better dialogue if any of the games had any smooth, consistent flow to it, and was not based entirely off RNG in the background. One thing that's always been an issue is that you, as the player, have very little interaction with villagers when it comes to simply talking to them. It's a bit frustrating, because people are more concerned with how villagers "should say this or that to you", rather than their own character having more autonomy to speak for themselves and be responsive to what their neighbors say to them. I already made a post in another thread that they need to have more things for the player character to say at any given moment, in addition to the PC responding to what they're being told. The whole entire system is flawed, dated, and needs an overhaul.

Last edited:
Seeing as how Animal Crossing was originally conceived as a sort of dungeon-crawler RPG with life-sim elements, why not? As long as it doesn't distract too much from what Animal Crossing currently is, then I don't mind getting possible glimpses on how the franchise would have been designed if it wasn't focused purely on the life-sim aspect.

Seems neat. I haven't got the chance to play, but I've known about it for quite some time, and figured that the series would've probably resemble this minigame if they kept the original RPG concept.

This is something I sadly don't see more people wanting in these games when it comes to dialogue. Animal Crossing would no doubt have much better dialogue if any of the games had any smooth, consistent flow to it, and was not based entirely off RNG in the background. One thing that's always been an issue is that you, as the player, have very little interaction with villagers when it comes to simply talking to them. It's a bit frustrating, because people are more concerned with how villagers "should say this or that to you", rather than their own character having more autonomy to speak for themselves and be responsive to what their neighbors say to them. I already made a post in another thread that they need to have more things for the player character to say at any given moment, in addition to the PC responding to what they're being told. The whole entire system is flawed, dated, and needs an overhaul.
The system definitely needs to be overhauled. Most of animal crossing relies on rng but I think dialogue shouldn’t be one of them. I would love if we as players had more to say to the villagers. Animal crossing is still supposed to be about connecting with our villagers by talking to them and being friends. They say so much random things then just walk away almost forgetting what they said.

The system definitely needs to be overhauled. Most of animal crossing relies on rng but I think dialogue shouldn’t be one of them. I would love if we as players had more to say to the villagers. Animal crossing is still supposed to be about connecting with our villagers by talking to them and being friends. They say so much random things then just walk away almost forgetting what they said.
Exactly. Part of the frustration I experience whenever people talk about AC's dialogue and how "neutered" it's become is because I don't think people really know what they want when it comes to exchanging talk with NPCs. Them being "nice" or "rude" isn't even the real issue, here (it's still an issue; let's make that clear), yet people act as if villagers trash-talking you at every opportunity translates to good writing. Rudeness can be funny, but I'd rather it come from me whacking or ignoring my villagers, rather something they randomly do because the game decides how they want to treat me at the moment. That's why I find all the "hilarious" insults from Population: Growing and WW to fall flat.

Leaving that aside, the bare minimum should be the ability to ask villagers how their day was, what their favorite hobbies are, and even just their interests. This is something I should expect from life-sims in the 2010s at this point, and it's astonishing how this franchise went two decades without incorporating more meaningful interactions with these characters.

Last edited:
Them being "nice" or "rude" isn't even the real issue, here (it's still an issue; let's make that clear), yet people act as if villagers trash-talking to you at every opportunity translates to good writing. Rudeness can be funny, but I'd rather it come from me whacking or ignoring my villagers, rather something they randomly do because the game decides how they want to treat me at the moment. That's why I find all the "hilarious" insults from Population: Growing and WW to fall flat.
I completely agree. I want them to show emotion when they are mad at something I did or didn’t do. How they treat you definitely seems to random.
Leaving that aside, the bare minimum should be the ability to ask villagers how their day was, what their favorite hobbies are, and even just their interests. This is something I should expect from life-sims in the 2010s at this point, and it's astonishing how this franchise went two decades without incorporating more meaningful interactions with these characters.
These are the conversations I would love to have. It was why I was so excited that we could call villagers to the roost with Amiibo cards. I thought we would be able to sit and have coffee while having an actual conversation. Instead we got whoever we invited having a coffee without us . In order for them to say anything you stand next to them instead of sitting with them. It would also be nice if you could ask them if they need anything. Since they very rarely ask you to help them.

I think it would be really great to sell to Tom Nook the island and start a new one (the price could depend on the amount and type of furnitures exposed). In this way you can keep all the stuff you have in your storage, the bells in your ABD, and moreover maintaining the catalogue ad DIY recipes learnt as well as the stamps completed.

I'm really not into the idea of restarting a new island (I tend to get very attached), but I think this would benefit the players who intend to do so.

It seems to me that there is something similar in ACNL. Can some AC veterans confirm?

I think it would be really great to sell to Tom Nook the island and start a new one (the price could depend on the amount and type of furnitures exposed). In this way you can keep all the stuff you have in your storage, the bells in your ABD, and moreover maintaining the catalogue ad DIY recipes learnt as well as the stamps completed.

I'm really not into the idea of restarting a new island (I tend to get very attached), but I think this would benefit the players who intend to do so.

It seems to me that there is something similar in ACNL. Can some AC veterans confirm?
Yes! You could originally sell your town to Tom Nook in Animal Crossing New Leaf after the only update: 2016 expansion of Welcome Amiibo. You would be able to keep your ABD and optionally you could choose to keep your catalog or sell it to gain more bells. You cannot keep your storage items but you do keep Public Works Project suggestions. (those are the ways you used to design your town.)

Back