• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What Greenery Combos Do You Like To Use on Your Island?

Mairmalade

mar 🐳
Staff
Bells
Island
Wisteria
Galaxy Easter Egg
Frost Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Perfect Apple
Perfect Cherry
Perfect Peach
Perfect Pear
Durian
Lemon
Lychee
With all the different island themes, flowers, bush starts, and trees, what are your favorite greenery combos? Do you like using certain hybrids? Rainbow gardens? Color palettes?

I've been working on an island that uses mostly yellow, white, and purple, so I've been playing around with those. Purple tulips and hyacinths have a great purple pop, and I've also been mixing those with an assortment of white/yellow flowers. I think they look great together, especially with white plumeria & pink hydrangea bushes. 🌻

Last edited:
I keep my greenery pretty simple on my island I only really use white, pink and red roses along with the hedge fence.

I have two different relaxing garden areas on my island that use each type of flower making a rainbow its so pretty and I kind of want to start using more styles of flowers around my garden instead of just the roses in the three colours.

i had a mix of white flowers and blue hybrids + black hybrids around rivers and houses, but i changed it to there being orange + yellow flowers every few spaces along paths. and also yellow + orange tea olive bushes (sometimes in the paths aswell).

haven't really hit up anything else

I use a lot of combos, but the main combo tends to be orange, red & yellow in the main residential area.

I have a bunch of cliffs in the corner that have a completely random colour scheme, but it's definitely the most colourful overall - there's one of every flower planted around it on all levels. It looked even better before Nintendo removed the glitched 4th level flowers.

I like maximalism when it comes to design and I have a ton of flowers on my island so I organized my giant flower field (which contains all the flowers) into a rainbow as well as I could while still using at least 9 of each flower, and trying to keep all of each species together. I wanted to pay homage to my island's native flower so the majority of my downtown is purple, pink, and green mums, and pear park is exclusively landscaped with green mums,
Sanrio Pierroland is white, yellow, pink, and blue hyacinths to match the cinnamoroll and pastel carnival stuff. My town flag flower mural is made up of roses, as kind of a nod to my NL town which is full of mostly roses.

For hedges, I really like alternating purple and blue hydrangea in some areas and pink and white plumeria in others.

I try to make my areas look simple when possible. I mostly use shrubs, as I like them a whole lot better than planting flowers everywhere. With the exception of the hotel's property (my 2nd player house, which has theme-matching red and yellow hibiscus bushes year-round), I cycle the shrubs every time they go out of season. To maintain the 5-star rating, however, I've got a mix of red, white, yellow, and purple flowers in various places, mostly at villager houses. However, I have that mentality of needing one of every single flower on my island somewhere, so a few areas have blue and black flowers.

I've never been perfect at flower placement, as I can never seem to get an area to look good without making it boring or overly complicated. I've improved somewhat, as there was a very long period where I just let my flowers grow out wherever. That was a pain to clean up.

I love the combination of Pink Hyacinths + White Cosmos... ooo and for Halloween, I really enjoyed combining Orange Tulips + Black Roses + Lily of the Valley for my lil town square centerpiece thing!
I also love combining red flowers with black hybrids in areas with Cedar Trees.

I haven't done it in NH yet but in New Leaf I really loved alternating pink and purple hybrids. I feel like Pink Mums and Purple Tulips could look really nice together!

Early on, I decided to exterminate almost all oak and cedar tree types except for my small fruit orchard, three cedar trees, some bamboo trees and commit to 100% palm trees. The only bushes I use are hibiscus and plumeria since I plan to keep my island in summer permanently when it's complete.

For flower types + colors, I'm using orange lilies, purple and green mums that I collected from the now extinct hybrid flower mystery island. The color combo ties in with my theme. I like to use a lot of weeds and moss too.

GAUeghXagAAxsMh

GAUeggfaIAAzeiy

I did try adding hyacinths but I didn't like them. So they're used on my beaches in their bud form, because it looks better as "grass" than the weeds imo. But they also look like random sand asparagus.

I'm not good at color combinations, so I use a lot of trees, bushes, weeds, and wildflower qr codes. I do try my best with my villagers' yards though.

Ken: A small section of blue roses, purple pansies and purple windflowers. I think that I have three bamboo trees and two bushes lining the corners of his garden.

Francine: For now it is just blue and white roses.

Chrissy: Pink and white flowers to the back and right side of her house.

Pashmina: Mostly red, orange, and yellow flowers. I don't remember if I included a few white flowers as well.

Roscoe: Black flowers, a pine tree in each corner of his garden, and bushes lined next to them.

I mostly use yellow hibiscus bushes, black tulips and black cosmos! White cosmos and lilies-of-the-valley are also nice to use here and there. I used to have a lot more flowers but I ended up preferring to keep things simple.

Last edited:
I used so many cactuses throughout my island, if that even counts. I was very disappointed with the lack of cactus related items when this game first released. We didn’t get full sized cactuses until a later update. It sucked being limited to only that mini cactus set, which was honestly more of a houseplant than anything. My island was named Arizona, so it was only fitting. (Past tense, because I no longer play New Horizons)

I don't really like to decorate with flowers but I have some green mums, orange hyacinths and blue pansies in certain places (only because I accidentally bred too many so I hid them all over my island). I love to decorate with the hibiscus which is why summer is my favourite season! Hibiscus in bloom + the green mums is a pretty combo. When the hibiscus is longer in season, I would say the most noticable "green" around my island are just weeds.

I get sad if I'm not using all the available flowers and shrubs somewhere on my island. You'll find red, yellow, orange, white, blue, pink, purple, black, and green in at least a handful of places. However, I definitely lean most heavily on blue and yellow (my favorite colors) with quite a bit of orange and white to match my seaside town.

The central town area has a lot of orange and yellow. The small gardening area in the upper left has a little more pink and green. The pond is blue and purple, while the fishing area near my house is yellow and blue. The museum incorporates black and red, the astronomy area is white with touches of blue, and the narrow wilderness walkway is red, yellow, orange, and green.

My favorite flowers are hyacinths and pansies, particularly blue, yellow, and purple hyacinths and yellow, purple, and red pansies.

My favorite bushes are the red camellia, the yellow hibiscus, the holly, the blue hydrangea, and the orange and yellow olive.

I have alot of rainbow gardens on my island, or garden designed to resemble something.

Like my entrance is a small rainbow garden, and in the back of my island I have another far bigger one. Sherb also has a rainbow garden on his penisula. But it's part of the theme of his area.

I never planned on using a ton of flowers but I had so many flowers, my beaches were full, so I just started to use them. My most common combo is blue and purple.

I have several areas with purple and blue flowers. But I also try to fit the color into the design around, or by it.

For example I have this massive symbol of the Sundrop flower from Tangled with light purple so I put purple and yellow roses around it so it blended in and didn't look out of place.

Decorating with flowers has proven for me, to be quite fun

Last edited:
I like to pre-select which colour flowers I will be using for each town. For my current island, I have white, black, purple and pink flowers. It doesn't really matter which breed a flower is, just as long as they are those colours.

I feel like the colour of the flowers determine the vibe a town/area will give off. For my island, I wanted spooky, mystical vibes so I thought that orange flowers would do that. After walking around my island for a while, and seeing the orange... I decided it wasn't it. As soon as I removed all the orange flowers from my island, and did a little walk around, I was like. YES this is it!

Also, I like the look of just black, purple and white flowers together, so the only pink flowers I have are on a little mountain way up high LOL! I love the pink flowers too much to not have any at all!

I wanted to pay homage to my island's native flower so the majority of my downtown is purple, pink, and green mums
I knew each island had a native fruit, but I didn't know that about flowers. Are you saying that the hyacinths that have run amuck on my island may not be common on other's islands?

I knew each island had a native fruit, but I didn't know that about flowers. Are you saying that the hyacinths that have run amuck on my island may not be common on other's islands?
Yep! Your native flower is always available for purchase from Nook's and should be the same as whatever wreath DIY Nook gave you in the beginning of the game.

The main parts of my island are decorated with white and yellow flowers (and green mums). I stick to the lighter/softer coloured flowers so to be even more specific I use: white/yellow hyacinths, white/yellow roses, white/yellow cosmos, white tulips, white lily, and then white/yellow/green mums. I also have a lot of orange trees around (my native fruit) and all my non-native fruit trees are restricted to just my small orchard area.

There is also a smaller tropical themed part of my island where I use yellow, orange, and pink flowers. I like that it definitely has a distinct vibe from the rest of the island.

I've had so many combos, lol...

For purple and yellow - I have purple windflowers and yellow roses around Boots' house. I was thinking a bit of mardi gras colors. They look good together.

I've also had blue hydrangeas with white tulips outside Yuka's house. Around Benjamin's house I have glowing moss, with green and purple mums, and a few black lilies.

I went full pink, white, and yellow for the island entrance, haha...but I really don't like it now. Too much, and it's kind of annoying me (I don't know why - I liked it at first).

2022091612550900-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D (1).jpg

So that's going to all get redone. Not sure what I'll end up with for the entrance. Maybe something simple I can change out without too much trouble for the different seasons/holidays.

Back